• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My first time with a bunny going to the bridge :(

blue_vix

Mama Doe
I took in two baby bunnies 3 weeks ago, as they were part of an accidental litter and the owner was keeping them in a 2 foot hutch with the mum and dad :( I had fallen in love with them, because I've always rescued adults they were the youngest I've had as they were just 8 weeks. One was quite a lot bigger than the other but they seemed quite healthy. The little one (Dory) was alive at 4pm when I checked the waters but dead and stiff at 9 o'clock :( her sister was sat on top of her body. I can't find any signs of why she died, her eyes look a little wet but thats it. Do you think she just couldn't take the cold? It has gone from being about 4degrees to -6 in the last two days. They are on a deep bed of hay. I kept them outside as that was how they were born and where living. If I took her to the vets to get her checked over to make sure its nothing contageous would they charge me? All my other bunnies apart from the two babies are vaccinated.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Yes, a vets will charge for a PM.

If this one was smaller she may always have had a defect, but equally, it could be the stress of change, illness, gut problems, etc. If you're worried about the cold then is it possible to bring the other one in? If you keep her outside though, she will need a warm snugglesafe 24/7 (which will mean getting up and reheating it during the night- roughly around 4-5am) to snuggle on and with.

Binky Free little bunny.

I will have a look for one of those snuggle things. It would prob be stressful bringing her in as she would have a cat, a rotweiller and a two year old to contend with in the house. Thankyou.

Is there anything else you can do to make her hutch warmer and weather proof it any better? If you post pics you might be able to get some advice :)

My camera is broken, its a 6foot one that stands on top of a 6X6foot run, but when I moved there wasn't room to put the run up so the hutch is stood and a couple of long pieces of wood, so it's about 3 inches off the ground on concrete. I repainted/water proofed it in november. I've deep bedded on newspaper, and about 4 inches of hay, I get bales so I just put a full flap in. I've got extra newspaper in the night section. I didn't bother with anything over the top, last year my grown ups just spent most of the day and night sat out in the snow anyway, as I had a secure yard and they just freeranged 24hrs. Do you think as they are cooped in over night they can't run around to keep warm? I could get some carpet or something to go over the hutch.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss - it is hard to take isn't it?

RIP Dory.

I would be concerned now about the little bun who is left. She is young, it is very cold and she is alone. She is more vulnerable now than when she was when Dory was alive as she has no company and no extra body heat. She is also suffering a loss.

As she is so young is there any chance you could find her a space inside somewhere like a porch, utility room etc. I can see you have a busy household (like us) but it could just save her life.

Hope you can find a solution.

Again, sorry for your loss
x

Aww binky free little one xxx

I would weather proof the hutch more to he honist...is the a cover on the hutch? To keep rain/wind etc out? I have filled the bedroom in ours to the roof with straw and hay so they have to burrow in.

Do you have a soft toy that she could snuggle with?

It won't be the same as having Dory there (rest her soul) but it might help the baby feel less alone.

Sorry to hear of your loss :'(

I've put Lady Gaga in with Toby whos snuggling her and covered the hutch with some carpet. I'm going to try and insulate the walls with some cardboard in the night bit.

Back