• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Is it too cold?

Boots

Mama Doe
The water bowl in the bunnies shed has been freezing solid from the cold :shock: Also their fur is cold to the touch even though they snuggle together.

Will they be okay outside? I'm confident they will be as they have full winter coats and seem fine. Their shed is insulated and they have fleeces, a snugglesafe and loads of hay etc, but my mum has got herself really worried and brought them inside for the night.

I'm really concerned about interrupting their routine, so they're going back out in the morning and staying out, but will they be okay? I also realise that they adjust to one temp, so moving them about frequently isn't great. I'm a little stressed out with other things so right now my brain can't compute about what's best :shock::oops::(

Any re-assurances or "no you fool, bring them in!" that you can share would be appreciated as I'm all in a tither :D

If you bring them in, in this cold weather they should be kept in. They would have been fine outside, so no need to bring them in. Are you able to keep them in until the Spring? They will find it veru difficult to adjust to the outside temperature again.

Mine are outside and are happily ignoring their snugglesafe :) They have each other, big winter coats and lots of hay, and will be staying outside. I wouldn't worry too much!

@ralphus maximus! Agh, I know, this was what I was worried about. In a small blessing, the house has no central heating and is barely warmer than outside, so I don't think it will make much difference with temperature adjusting.

As long as they're fine outside and aren't going to freeze then we will feel much happier :wave:

Thank you everyone for yor quick responses, I did think about their fur, hutches and also wildies :D I didn't play a part in the decision to bring them in unfortunately, but I can't blame my mum as she was terrified they would die/get ill. Thank you for reassuring me :D *slowly starts to de-stress*

Mine are ignoring their snuggly snugglesafe and hay filled hutch and sitting in the corner of their run! Yours will be fine, we totally underestimate bunny fur!

It's good that their fur is cold on the outside, it means it's insulating them well so none of their body heat is escaping :)

I would worry with outdoor buns in this weather though, Oscar and Jessie are quite content sitting in their box of hay under the radiator :lol:

@ralphus maximus! Agh, I know, this was what I was worried about. In a small blessing, the house has no central heating and is barely warmer than outside, so I don't think it will make much difference with temperature adjusting.

In that case, I think bunnies will be fine to go back outside tomorrow; maybe do it mid-morning, if possible, once it's warmed up slightly. I've sometimes had to bring in poorly bunnies for a night or two and have kept them in an unheated room.

Bunnies cope surprisingly well with the cold. Their fur might feel cold to the touch (most likely their ears will be freezing too) but, if you part the fur and feel close to their body, you should find that they feel warm. :D As long as they have places to snuggle up if they want to (which it sounds like they have) then I think they'll be fine.

Back