• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking to start my own bunny family

okikokikate

Mama Doe
Hi, Im new to the forum so be kind :)

I am hoping to rescue either one but more likely two rabbits from a local rescue centre.
So far I have bought a water bottle, some cleaning spray and a ceramic food bowl. I have also just bought a wickery set of 2 balls with a bell inside, and a dumbar type wickery toy.

I have ordered a ferplast120 as my rabbits are going to sleep indoors and stay in there whilst I am at work.
The rest of the time they will have free reign of the front room whilst under supervision!

So far I know I need to buy cable tidy type things to keep the cables away from the bunnies.

How else can I prepare before I go to a centre and look for some bunnies? :)

Welcome to the site :)

It would be worthwhile contacting the rescue you intend to rescue from to find out what their rehoming criteria are so that you can do your best to meet it before going too far down the line :)

Really though, the best you can do is research, research, research. There's info on my website that I give out to any new adopter from the rescue I volunteer with. It might be worth a read although there is no info on vaccinations on there. http://flashsplace.webs.com/rabbitcareinformation.htm

Well done for making sure you get it right and thinking through your decision :)

Hi, Im new to the forum so be kind :)

I am hoping to rescue either one but more likely two rabbits from a local rescue centre.
So far I have bought a water bottle, some cleaning spray and a ceramic food bowl. I have also just bought a wickery set of 2 balls with a bell inside, and a dumbar type wickery toy.

I have ordered a ferplast120 as my rabbits are going to sleep indoors and stay in there whilst I am at work.
The rest of the time they will have free reign of the front room whilst under supervision!

So far I know I need to buy cable tidy type things to keep the cables away from the bunnies.

How else can I prepare before I go to a centre and look for some bunnies? :)

Hello and welcome to the forum

firstly its great you came on here to ask for advice you obviously want to do your best for your buns.

A rescue however do homechecks where they assess if where you will be keeping the buns passes their individual guidlines and that of the rabbit welfare association

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

on the link you will find the minimal guidlines...

can you cancel your order for the cage?

there are a few people on RU who do home checks who can be specific with you on what you will need to qualify to have a rabbit from a rescue its awsome you want to do that and not just buy one from a pet shop well done you

there are many different kinds of indoor set ups that dont have to be expensive heres a link to examples of people on here set ups

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing

It is good that you are considering taking on rescue rabbits, but as a first step I think you should re-think the housing as what you are proposing is very small for even 1 rabbit to be left in all day. If you take a look at the Housing section here you'll get some very good advice/ideas.

ETA I was a bit late posting this and now see that others have already given similar advice.

Last edited:
unfortunately even if they are in that cage while your at work and asleep thats still hours and hour, far to long couped up in a cage far too small for one rabbit not alone two....

sorry to be stern on that subject but it like you being confined to your bed for hours >_<

Good plan. If you talk to the rescue you want to adopt from they will be able to give you specific advice for what their rehoming requirements are, so that you can almost build your accommodation to their requirements. :)

Thanks for your help so far :)

Ok, so I've emailed to hopefully cancel the ferplast.

Now looking into more suitable housing solutions.

I like the cubes but are they stable?

Atm the dog crate seems like the best solution - What kind of size in cm is ok for 2 rabbits?

p.s. have emailed the rescue centre to ask for recommended rehoming suggestions so hopefully I will meet their criteria

Atm the dog crate seems like the best solution - What kind of size in cm is ok for 2 rabbits?

p.s. have emailed the rescue centre to ask for recommended rehoming suggestions so hopefully I will meet their criteria

I've got a 48 inch dog crate with attached puppy pen for over night and work times but Poppy gets all day in the bedroom :)

Leo will be bonded with her when he has recovered from his stroke but he is in a large puppy pen :) they're cheap and easy to move etc :)

EXTRA LARGE 48 inches

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-Extra-...7?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item43ac9280db

I just wanted to say that you're doing really well with taking on board the advice given :) whichever bunnies come your way and clearly going to be very lucky to have such a caring owner :)

I personally use the cubes. I don't use connectors, I used cable ties instead and wooden supports. I have a cage in my room that is 5 by 2 by 6 and it's been there two and a half years and is very sturdy and secure.

Hi, great to see you're researching first :)

I bought exactly the same cage as you when I first bought Oscar home. When I first had him he was shut in when we were out/in bed and allowed out the rest of the time, but he would always rattle the bars when he was in and it took a good half hour or so to catch him to put back!

Eventually we gave up trying to put him back in the cage and just left it open for him 24-7 so he could go in and out as he pleases.

Now we don't even have a base for them, they have full run of the house and just a couple of 'bolt holes' to hide in, like their carrier and tent. They seem to spend most their time asleep on the kitchen mat during the day though, and on the footstool at night :lol::lol: The rest of the room is rabbit-proofed (i.e. no wires/books lying around, otherwise they are fair game!)

Is there anyway you could rabbit-proof a room so you could do something similar, and maybe use the Ferplast cage/dog crate as a base? It works out a lot cheaper too ;)

I too have been through many different types of setup and now each of my pairs has one room each. They are bunny proofed with wires tucked away in plastic piping and hidden behind mesh panels. This works a lot better than anything else I've tried.

Back