• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pls help dentals

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
i have a 6month old girl who had a bit of a runny eye,took her to the vets and he said take her off the hay and bring her back in a wk,wk later still the same flushed her tear ducts but 1 was blocked so they did xrays which has revealed she has severve root problems both side and in nearly every tooth,damaged to the tear duct and her jaw is off set, they have filed her teeth right down but said with her problems and how young she is it will shorten her life span and will regulary need her teeth doin,she looks so depressed and is off her food(on critical care)vet said he has never seen such bad roots even in a older bun but she has been born with them,any adviced or thought welcome

I would really suggest reading my article about advocating for your rabbit. Purely because the rabbit in that article, Wish, has horrific teeth (her problems were identified at roughly 16 weeks), but with an appropriate dose of pain relief every day she is a very happy girlie. Her life may not be as long as another bunnies, but that doesn't matter because whilst she is here and alive, she is very happy and enjoying life. I focus on quality over quantity and my advice would be the same for you.

The only way to help Wish stay happy though is with a hefty whack of pain relief, and they are just so vital. If she is in pain then her quality of life is not as good as it could be and it wouldn't be fair to make her suffer it (having had my own dental problems I know how truly horrific it is and would never wish that on anyone, especially somebunny I love so much).

yes she is on metacam 0.5ml daily before today she had been her usual happy self and her appetitate has been fine she even gained weight this wk, thanks for your comments

I found for Wish that daily Metacam didn't work. She would have a low when the meds wore off but before I could give her more, so she now gets half her dose in the morning and half her dose in the evening. She is 1.8kg and gets 10drops (which is 0.5mls) in the morning, and the same in the evening. We've had to up it hugely, from three drops, twice a day. We also have Tramadol on standby if she has a rough day.

I would discuss it with your vet. We played around a lot with Wish's though to find what works. I carefully monitor her behaviour to ensure she is doing ok and we worked very hard to find what worked for her. We did a lot of liaising with vets but they gave me their own sheet of doses so I could work out from that her maximum dose and how she best tolerated it.

She better do! I need my daily comical Wish-Fix

Let's hope your girlie starts binkying soon :)

Back