• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Power to Rabbits shed/Playhouse

My OH ran armoured cable from a power point in our garage out to the sheds and then put plug sockets on the shed walls. The armoured cable is quite pricey but at least it's safe and complies with safety regulations. I now have lighting and heating in the sheds :D. Next thing will be a webcam :D.

My OH ran armoured cable from a power point in our garage out to the sheds and then put plug sockets on the shed walls. The armoured cable is quite pricey but at least it's safe and complies with safety regulations. I now have lighting and heating in the sheds :D. Next thing will be a webcam :D.

Is he an electrician? :) I would love power to our sheds but only have a rubbish solar light :roll:

I bit the bullet and paid for a professional electrician to put a proper power supply cable in up the garden with an RCD switch in our kitchen.

It's been worth every penny.

i have a plug in my garden.. but the playhouse is on the opposite side bit far away :/ so dont know how id put power to the playhouse.. :(

I bit the bullet and paid for a professional electrician to put a proper power supply cable in up the garden with an RCD switch in our kitchen.

It's been worth every penny.

This is my dream :lol: I got a quote over 5 years ago, I hate to think how much it would be now :(

I keep glancing at this thread and reading 'POWER to the sheds!!' as opposed to electrical power in the garden...

This is my dream :lol: I got a quote over 5 years ago, I hate to think how much it would be now :(

Considering the length of the garden and the time it took him to put the equipment in I was really happy. Lot of money to me but it has been so worth it. £150 all in.

Is he an electrician? :) I would love power to our sheds but only have a rubbish solar light :roll:

No - he's just good at DIY. Obviously, if we were to move, we'd have to have the electrics certified but he's pretty good and knows what he's doing (he's an engineer by trade). However, if you'd have heard the moaning and whinging whilst he was installing the electrics, it would have been easier and less hassle to pay an electrician to do the job!!!

No - he's just good at DIY. Obviously, if we were to move, we'd have to have the electrics certified but he's pretty good and knows what he's doing (he's an engineer by trade). However, if you'd have heard the moaning and whinging whilst he was installing the electrics, it would have been easier and less hassle to pay an electrician to do the job!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We were quoted £200 around 5 years ago, so it would be interesting to see how much it might cost now :?

I keep glancing at this thread and reading 'POWER to the sheds!!' as opposed to electrical power in the garden...
same here :lol:

I have electricity in my shed. We used to have a light on the front of the house with a cable going inside. What we did was get a super long extension cable, plugged it in at the bottom of the stairs, stuck it through the hole for the security light and then trailed it round the back of the house (attached to the wall at various points) and in to the back of the shed. The electricity point is mounted high up at the back of the shed with the lights plugged in to it.
You can see the plugs in this photo.

It cost us a fraction of the cost of doing it "properly" and does just as good of a job. My only regret is letting the OH buy a fluorescent orange extension cable. :roll:

Does it make a difference with the number of sheds you need power to/socket in?!

We only had one shed then! But I think that was just the basic cost for running a cable professionally from the house up the garden. I know the elctrician said we would need the pathway digging up to lay it under and that wasn't included in the quote :?

We only had one shed then! But I think that was just the basic cost for running a cable professionally from the house up the garden. I know the elctrician said we would need the pathway digging up to lay it under and that wasn't included in the quote :?

Hmm still it might be worth getting another quote just to see if you can get it a lot cheaper. At least you dont need a specially licensed contractor to dig up a piece of the path!

^^ me too! haa hahaaa...I keep thinking yeah! POWER to the Sheds...like they better than hutches!:lol::lol:

yeah - the armored cable would usually be buried as far as I know....my OH is a sparky....;)

Back