• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dose and other painkillers

weedug

Mama Doe
Can someone please remind me of the recommended dose for dog metacam, per kg body weight?

Also, what other painkillers would be available?

I'm asking for Floppy, who is now struggling with his legs.

The dose range is 0.3-0.6mg/kg/24hrs

So using the DOG Metacam this equates to 0.2-0.4ml/kg/24 hours

There are several other analgesics, some with anti-inflammatory properties - eg Cartrophen

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Art...t_100mg_ml_Solution_for_Injection/-26936.html

Then there is Vetergesic

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Alstoe_Ltd/Vetergesic/-48139.html

Torbugesic

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfi...1_ACU-_w_v_Solution_for_Injection/-35861.html

Tramadol

http://www.rxlist.com/ultram-drug.htm

Thanks so much :wave:.

It is for long-term use. Floppy is 1.7 kg, and has been getting 0.4ml of metacam once daily.

His legs are now causing him too much pain on this dose, and I need to sort out something else for him. I'm upping his metacam first, to see if this helps (my vet is fine with this, just forgot to ask the maximum dose).

Pain relief is his only option, other than pts :cry:, and we're not ready for that yet.

Oh bless him, hope the extra pain relief works xx

If we had a bunny that weigh we would go up to 0.3ml 2 x daily. I always think splitting the dose into 2 twelve hour doses always works better then once a day.

Oh bless him, hope the extra pain relief works xx

If we had a bunny that weigh we would go up to 0.3ml 2 x daily. I always think splitting the dose into 2 twelve hour doses always works better then once a day.

Thanks for that. I have just started him on the dose you just quoted. If he does OK on this, I might see if it can be reduced.

One problem for Floppy is the extra pain relief will upset his very delicate tummy :roll:

I'm sorry to hear that Floppy's pain relief is no longer keeping up with him. :( I agree with Liz to split the dose as I have always found that better for the buns than a single dose.

Thanks for that. I have just started him on the dose you just quoted. If he does OK on this, I might see if it can be reduced.

One problem for Floppy is the extra pain relief will upset his very delicate tummy :roll:

Re: the stomach problems - what is the actual problem? Is it the acid secretions or danger of ulcers? (These are a risk in any bun on long-term NSAID's but obviously those with existing problems will have it worse.) I read a paper a while back about rabbits and omeprazole, the drug used to reduce acid production and prevent ulcers, in humans. I will try and find it for you. I think the omeprazole was done sub-cut though? Or possibly just by injection? If Floppy's problems have nothing to do with that then please just ignore me. :lol:

Lots of nose rubs for your special wee man.

E. Here is the omeprazole link :)

Last edited:
Malteser has two doses of Zantac a day to help with his tummy - it was given as a precaution as Metacam can upset the tummy. I give him a few herbs and a spring green leaf when I give him his meds too as that can help with tummy issues also.

Found you another one if you like reading medical journals like some weird people (definitely not me) here comparing PPI's. Obviously it will be up to your vet if they can use them and which one to choose, if they are even suitable for Floppy's problems, I may be barking up completely the wrong tree. :oops:

Found you another one if you like reading medical journals like some weird people (definitely not me) here comparing PPI's. Obviously it will be up to your vet if they can use them and which one to choose, if they are even suitable for Floppy's problems, I may be barking up completely the wrong tree. :oops:

Thanks so much for these. I take Omeprazole for my stomach (on long-term NSAID's), and it's great.

Floppy's problem just now is more a sensitive tummy with what he eats. Even without the metacam, I have to be so careful with what he is eating or he gets too many special poops or soft poos, or else his poos are really small and hard. With the extra metacam, things just get worse.

He has had 0.3ml twice a day today, and extra pain relief yesterday, and today has been the first time in a while that he has been wondering about and showing an interest in things. His tummy is already playing up, and his poops are becoming softer.

I am due a delivery of bunny Basics T pellets, biolapsis, Profibre pellets, and something else I can't remember now :oops:. I thought if I try him with these things slowly, then something will help. Apple leaves usually work to bring his tummy back, but I only have a few left.

I do wonder if time is maybe running out for him :(, but I will do all I can to make him comfortable again.

Last edited:
Back