• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeling guilty

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys

The how much/many is too many thread touching on quality of care and size and space for buns etc. made me think

I feel so guilty atm as my buns havent got as much space as I would like due to us livng at my ohs parents... they can only go in one room and its very small... I have used as much space I possibly could in that room because its an attactic conversion the walls are uneven and the ceiling slants etc...

this is the current set up

DSC04772.jpg

I want to give them so much more room...

i dont know how long this will be for as we will get our own place as soon as my oh gets a job but and hes trying his best...

:( I take the buns downstairs for a run everyday... but feel guilty though as they have a puppy which gets too excted and rough so has to be shut in a room and usually shes fine with that but because she wants to play with the buns she gets noisy and scratches at the door and everyone gets annoyed with it and fed up it changes the atmosphere and I feel awful which isnt helping with my depression but I still do it because the buns deserve better

im a horrible bunny mum

the photo was taken when i was in the middle of cleaning so all the toys and boxes are removed....

the dog cart is the largest you can get... the photo makes it look so much smaller :(

Aww don't feel guilty, you're not a bad bunny mum at all, you're doing the best you can with what you've got, you take them down for a run around when you can and hopefully it won't be for too much longer. They do have some run around space which is fine, at least they're not shut in a little cage. Don't be too hard on yourself xx

this is temporary as you have said and they have room to hop and periscope and you take them out for exercise time to stretch their legs too on a daily basis ... it is only temporary hunni try not to beat yourself up too much.

Please do not feel guilty. My thread was not aimed at anybody as an individual and more of a question of when the amount of rabbits one keeps begins to improvise on their housing space due to the fact the owner makes the conscious decision to keep so many rabbits, not because you're doing your best in a difficult situation with a couple of buns.

The thread was supposed to just be a discussion, not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Although I guess it was inevitable that it would be taken to heart by some. Good luck with your situation, it sounds tough :wave:

Your buns have as good a home as you can manage right now and you want to give them better. I think as long as people are constantly striving for better then it's ok. The problem is when bun is in a three foot hutch siting in their own mess but the owner thinks they are happy.

This it's a temporary blip and your needs for space and living aren't being met either. They have a good amount of space there, please don't worry too much about them .

where did you get your door opening/lock mechanism ??? really wnat a few of those for our C&C cages
I like your setup, think you've done really well with what you have got

Your buns have as good a home as you can manage right now and you want to give them better. I think as long as people are constantly striving for better then it's ok. The problem is when bun is in a three foot hutch siting in their own mess but the owner thinks they are happy.

This it's a temporary blip and your needs for space and living aren't being met either. They have a good amount of space there, please don't worry too much about them .

Well said! :thumb:

thank you everyone you guys made me cry with how lovely you are >_<

>_< the buns have it more stable then we do as were in my ohs sisters room and when ever she comes home to visit were turfed out of that room and into the box room which is used to dry clothes store everything... it has a single bed a barely any room to move lol so we have to share a single bed for however long she stays... she came home for xmas on the 1st dec and didnt leave till the day before yesterday so we lived like that all that time >_<

being in her room isnt that much better as were surrounded by her things so we feel like intruders >_< I cant hang up my clothes so I live out of boxes, bags and suitcases >_<

where did you get your door opening/lock mechanism ??? really wnat a few of those for our C&C cages
I like your setup, think you've done really well with what you have got

the door part on the pen you mean? it came with the pen

I just want to do so much better for them and it hurts to want to give them more and you cant... I look forward to moving out and searching for a house where we can make them happy

I think it's a matter of perspective. Ok, so they don't have as much space as you would like to give them. Think about what they DO have, more than average space, food, water, love, each other, stimulation, a forever home, and more besides.

We can ALL improve how we look after our animals in some way, so really, you're just the same as any other owner doing the best you can and wanting to improve.

It's not a competition..........

1- We all want to do our best for our Rabbits

2- We all try to provide them with all of their needs, not just the 'biggest and best' accomodation

3- We all realise that we can always improve on our accommodation, NONE of us is perfect

4- Sometimes life is not black and white and whilst basic welfare needs should NEVER be compromised, there are certain situations which may arise meaning we cannot, at a particular given time, provide the size of accommodation we would like. But we are mindful that this situation is temporary and we all strive to 'do better'

Be open to *constructive* criticism folks, it is not hard to differentiate that from the nit picking.

2- We all try to provide them with all of their needs, not just the 'biggest and best' accomodation

3- We all realise that we can always improve on our accommodation, NONE of us is perfect

4- Sometimes life is not black and white and whilst basic welfare needs should NEVER be compromised, there are certain situations which may arise meaning we cannot, at a particular given time, provide the size of accommodation we would like. But we are mindful that this situation is temporary and we all strive to 'do better'

Be open to *constructive* criticism folks, it is not hard to differentiate that from the nit picking.

:thumb::love:

Please do not feel guilty. My thread was not aimed at anybody as an individual and more of a question of when the amount of rabbits one keeps begins to improvise on their housing space due to the fact the owner makes the conscious decision to keep so many rabbits, not because you're doing your best in a difficult situation with a couple of buns.

The thread was supposed to just be a discussion, not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Although I guess it was inevitable that it would be taken to heart by some. Good luck with your situation, it sounds tough :wave:

I was feeling guilty before the other thread happened it made me think about the care of my girlies but I am not blaming it for everything or saying it shouldnt have been created because it was a good thread

I am honestly feeling down at the moment that I cant do better and its out of my control but ru is making me feel better and everyones lovely comments have made me doubt myself less...

i wasnt trying to make it a competition.... or say i want what best for my buns and others dont.. I know we all do... :(

I was feeling guilty before the other thread happened it made me think about the care of my girlies but I am not blaming it for everything or saying it shouldnt have been created because it was a good thread

I am honestly feeling down at the moment that I cant do better and its out of my control but ru is making me feel better and everyones lovely comments have made me doubt myself less...

i wasnt trying to make it a competition.... or say i want what best for my buns and others dont.. I know we all do... :(

I know !! That is not what I meant at all :)

I think everyone would like to do more if they could. I'm sure we'd all have our bunnies running around in huge fields with lots of friends, but be safe from predators at the same time, if it were possible! You are doing the best you can in your situation. Maybe you could buy some more pen panels and sneak an extra one in every few weeks so that the OHs parents don't notice it gradually getting bigger ;) :lol:

I think everyone would like to do more if they could. I'm sure we'd all have our bunnies running around in huge fields with lots of friends, but be safe from predators at the same time, if it were possible! You are doing the best you can in your situation. Maybe you could buy some more pen panels and sneak an extra one in every few weeks so that the OHs parents don't notice it gradually getting bigger ;) :lol:

I pulled this face at that :p

my other half took one look at my face and said no lol its like he knew.......

lol

Very well put Jane :)

I often feel the same - Fidget has a very similar sized set up to that (5x2.5 cage with similar or the same pen attached) with supervised free time around the flat every day. Two of us live in a one bedroom flat with her and proportionately I think Fidget has more space than I do :lol:. Over the years she has had more space as I've had more space (and houses that I didn't mind being partially destroyed by bunny teeth!)

As much as I'd love for her to have a room all to herself, there isn't a room for her to have at the moment. Do I wish I could give her more space? Yes. Do I wish I could have had a friend for her over the last few years – of course. That said, whilst I’m not the perfect person, do I think she’d be better off somewhere else, when there are tens of thousands of rabbits in 3ft hutches and abandoned in rescues… no. I welcome constructive criticism and intend to try and improve her life as time goes on. No-one is perfect, but hopefully we're heading in the right direction :D.

Back