• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many is too many?

Guy

Warren Scout
Seeing various threads on here has got me wondering the above really.

I've seen wonderful setups on here from people who have lots, lots of rabbits, but manage it very well. The setups are always tidy, plenty of space and hay and rabbits cared for how they should be.

I've also seen some setups on here (although very few in comparison to the above) where there seems to be a bit of double standards going on and the rabbits aren't all getting as much space etc as they should because there are so many rabs. However in those instances it doesn't seem to be as frowed upon if the member is well known and/or liked, or because the rabbits are rescued etc. And yes we should all try to help bunnies in need if we can, but when do you draw the line and be honest with yourself and say "Well, I can't meet this rabbits basic requirements either, so I can't really take him/her".

Another thing I wondered is, if the rabbits do all have their basic housing, space, company etc needs met, does it really matter how many you keep to authority figures such as the RSPCA (whom I do not like personally). As in, has anybody ever been told by the RSPCA or the likes that they have too many rabbits, even though the rabbits have at least the min recommended sized hutch and run, and company etc and are well cared for?

The setups I mentioned I seen a while ago, nothing recent. So even if I could remember names I wouldn't name as it's not about that. Just some questions I've been pondering and wanted others to share their views :)

Surely this is up to the individuals involved?
What one person can cope with, another might find impossible to cope with. It is also a bit different when you talk about a member of public or a fosterer or rescuer because in a foster/rescue situation the accommodation will be temporary until a forever home can be found.

I find your question a little loaded if I'm honest :?

I have four bunnies ..ok I have 3 but I wish Chicky was still here :cry:

Sometimes I struggle to feel I'm doing enough for them, but they have their own bedrooms and get more space than me and Jay. I personally couldn't handle anymore because I couldn't give them enough. When I'm ready I might consider Max a friend, however at current he's just fine. Lola was my soul bunny so it's a very difficult subject in the sense that we only ever visulise Max with her.

I don't think you can answer the question with a set number because what is too many for some won't be alot to others - like 4 for me is stretching (I can afford everything for them, they have enough space) but I work full time and I'm out of the house for at least 12hours a day for work(week days), in that sense I feel I can;t give them the time I wish I could, but before whilst I was a student I could :( xxx

I think too many is when the owner can't afford to feed the buns and give all buns involved the relevant vet care. The space situation isn't always the be all and end all if they keep their pets immaculate and well fed and watered.

Different people can cope well with different things. Some people may struggle with two, others may cope perfectly with 50. There are no rules, and you can never see the full picture of people online, only snapshots.

I would say every situation is different. A rabbit can have all the space in the world and a great diet but that would be no use if the bun gets sick and the owner doesn’t notice or care or know how to treat it

Surely this is up to the individuals involved?
What one person can cope with, another might find impossible to cope with. It is also a bit different when you talk about a member of public or a fosterer or rescuer because in a foster/rescue situation the accommodation will be temporary until a forever home can be found.

I find your question a little loaded if I'm honest :?

Why is it loaded? Others have answered just fine. I don't mean how many can you as an individual cope with looking after. I just mean general basic requirements for the buns. For me too many is when they aren't getting at least the recommended space that they should, due to having so many buns, personally.

I have four bunnies ..ok I have 3 but I wish Chicky was still here :cry:

Sometimes I struggle to feel I'm doing enough for them, but they have their own bedrooms and get more space than me and Jay. I personally couldn't handle anymore because I couldn't give them enough. When I'm ready I might consider Max a friend, however at current he's just fine. Lola was my soul bunny so it's a very difficult subject in the sense that we only ever visulise Max with her.

I don't think you can answer the question with a set number because what is too many for some won't be alot to others - like 4 for me is stretching (I can afford everything for them, they have enough space) but I work full time and I'm out of the house for at least 12hours a day for work(week days), in that sense I feel I can;t give them the time I wish I could, but before whilst I was a student I could :( xxx

This is kinda what I mean. These buns have a lovely room to themselves (something I wish I could do), I'm sure they feel spoilt rotten. And the pair have company for when you're out so will be happy and occupied.

I guess the two questions were more tied together than indicated re the organisation views of the likes of the RSPCA. Do they have a problem with how many you are keeping so long as all the basic requirements are being met. They seem like they would, which is a shame as a lot of people can give a wonderful home to many buns.

Seeing various threads on here has got me wondering the above really.

I've seen wonderful setups on here from people who have lots, lots of rabbits, but manage it very well. The setups are always tidy, plenty of space and hay and rabbits cared for how they should be.

I've also seen some setups on here (although very few in comparison to the above) where there seems to be a bit of double standards going on and the rabbits aren't all getting as much space etc as they should because there are so many rabs. However in those instances it doesn't seem to be as frowed upon if the member is well known and/or liked, or because the rabbits are rescued etc. And yes we should all try to help bunnies in need if we can, but when do you draw the line and be honest with yourself and say "Well, I can't meet this rabbits basic requirements either, so I can't really take him/her".

Another thing I wondered is, if the rabbits do all have their basic housing, space, company etc needs met, does it really matter how many you keep to authority figures such as the RSPCA (whom I do not like personally). As in, has anybody ever been told by the RSPCA or the likes that they have too many rabbits, even though the rabbits have at least the min recommended sized hutch and run, and company etc and are well cared for?

The setups I mentioned I seen a while ago, nothing recent. So even if I could remember names I wouldn't name as it's not about that. Just some questions I've been pondering and wanted others to share their views :)

The bit I bolded was the reason I felt the question was loaded, but that is my opinion ;)

I still stand by my original answer, it all depends on the individual :)

I guess the two questions were more tied together than indicated re the organisation views of the likes of the RSPCA. Do they have a problem with how many you are keeping so long as all the basic requirements are being met. They seem like they would, which is a shame as a lot of people can give a wonderful home to many buns.

No they dont as long as all care and welfare standards are met. If you were breeding you need a commercial licence etc but as pets there is no limit on numbers

Someone reported me to the RSPCA. I have 30 Rabbits

I was inspected and told my Rabbits receive excellent care and that the Report was to be recorded as 'malicious'

You cant possibly judge a situation based solely of photos posted online :)

Thanks for clearing that up. I've seen the RSPCA reports where they've raided places and talked negatively about them because of the numbers, although obviously there were other issues there such as welfare issues etc then in the first place.

No they dont as long as all care and welfare standards are met. If you were breeding you need a commercial licence etc but as pets there is no limit on numbers

I tried rehoming a bun from the RSPCA and another local rescue and both turned me down, because I already had 2 buns :roll: My accomodation is very spacious (see below) and I met all the requirements in terms of housing. Fortunately I managed to rescue a rabbit from a nearby farm - and am happy to have proved the rescues wrong. They said bonding a third bun would be far too risky and near on impossible.

Run2.jpg

3 Happy buns:

SAM_0398.jpg

Yeah I couldn't have more than 4 in the sense that I wouldn't have a spare bedroom for them! :oops: We rent a 3 bed house despite there being 2 of us and that was so the bun pairs could have a bedroom each. Currently Max is now residing in the living room free range of course because he bedroom was recently painted and I worry the paint fumes are still too strong. :oops:

Jemimah and Roger have gone to terrorise Grandma and Grandad for a week or so because we've also had a new roof fitted and it would have scared the living daylights out of them with all the banging....they had to go because although my house is relatively large Max takes up the living room and I don't feel comfortable with them in the kitchen and of course upstairs is out the question whilst work goes on. Thankfully my parents still have the 'bunny' room despite me moving out :lol:

For the above reasons although I could give multiple bunnies the works with vet bills, food etc anymore (unless all bonded) then I don't think I would fairly be able to provide the accommodation or divide my time. My buns are in their rooms when we're at work..otherwise free range on different floors. Unless I got a multi floor house that isn't happening! ;)

Jacks Jane yours was actually one of the wonderful setups I mentioned. All the setups you've posted pics of have been lovely and clean with space and stuff for them to do. I wondered if people like yourself who provide everything they need to many rabs get hassle despite the fact they're well cared for. It's good the RSPCA reconise when someones doing a good job :)

Someone reported me to the RSPCA. I have 30 Rabbits

I was inspected and told my Rabbits receive excellent care and that the Report was to be recorded as 'malicious'

You cant possibly judge a situation based solely of photos posted online :)

I tried rehoming a bun from the RSPCA and another local rescue and both turned me down, because I already had 2 buns :roll: My accomodation is very spacious (see below) and I met all the requirements in terms of housing. Fortunately I managed to rescue a rabbit from a nearby farm - and am happy to have proved the rescues wrong. They said bonding a third bun would be far too risky and near on impossible.

Run2.jpg

3 Happy buns:

SAM_0398.jpg

It does vary between branches and trios can be tricky. My comments were more from an inspector point of view rather than a branch level rehome view

We have 33 - its possible because of the way we live and work and because my partner is as dedicated to them as I am. I could not cope with it on my own but that is because I work full time as well (although mainly from home).

I have good relationships with local rescues (including Wood Green and Blue Cross) both of whom use my set ups of roofed 'aviary' style run with built in hutch and levels, as examples of how buns should be kept. We have the odd bun now and again in a 'hutch' (7ft by 3ft by 3ft) if they are in isolation due to illness or some other issue - but never for more than a month - f they need longer away from the others they come indoors into a room in the house.

We choose to use LOTS of hay and bed them on hay and aubiose so the runs are never immaculate looking as there is hay everywhere - but they are clean.

As others have said I think it is down to the individual, for some people thats 2 bunnies for others its 30 :)

We currently have 33 bunnies, but have had 43 in the past. When numbers were higher the bunnies still got wonderful care and attention but I was knackered from making sure that they were all cared for correctly! We are much happier with the number we have now and will probably continue to reduce numbers naturally to under 30 over the next year or so as I am not getting any younger ;)

I agree its very individual :) I only have two and im always in awe when i see fab set ups with lots and lots of buns becuase they do take work and dedication!! I would love more but I dont have the time...I spend alot of time with Poppy and Daisy and we are about to adopt a puppy...on top of that I have three young children! So i know im at my limit...I would like to foster one day but deffinatly not for a while.

Back