• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to get drugs into a rabbit that isn't eating or pooping?

Neleh

Alpha Buck
Hiya,
First off there is no bun ill, so this is good news! I'm currently in the process of compiling a complaint with my first vet from when Malteser got sick. I'm trying to get everything straight in chronological order of what happened and when before I talk to them or I will loose track as I am a bag of emotions over this whole ordeal.
He had no check of eyes, ears, mouth etc and was diagnosed with EC/brain infection by looking at his outward symptoms. I expressed my worry for him not pooing both when we took him as an emergency and also the next morning but the vet didn't listen to his abdomen or give any drugs. How long does a bun have to not eat for before you give the gut stimulant? I know Mr Snowdrop was given it when he was neutered so I'm thinking it isn't very long you wait at all. He was only given one painkiller during the first visit too and when he did finally poop again he was in agony. Would pain relief and stimulant have reduced this pain and would you automatically give them both to a rabbit that isn't eating or drinking?
We paid around £140 to this surgery (1 emergency call and 3 vet appointments plus meds) and we are not at all happy but do thank those of you who pointed out that Maltesers meds needed reviewing, its only since seeing the checks our lovely new vet Caroline did that made me even more aware of the lack of care by all 3 vets we saw at the previous practice.

It is not possible to give you a definitive answer as to 'how long' as each case needs to be treated on it's own merit. In some cases gut motility medication is contraindicated- eg in a full GI tract obstruction. However, I cant think of any good reason to with-hold some sort of analgesia.

Generally speaking if a Rabbit is anorexic a primary cause needs to be identified and treated aswell as addressing the gut motility issues.

I would expect a Vet to thoroughly examine an anorexic Rabbit- ie a full abdominal examination, a Dental examination, ears, heart and lungs and temperature.

I am not up to date with your Rabbit's problems, but from what you have said here I think focusing your complaint on a general lack of examination rather than any delay in administering meds (the latter cant be done without first doing the former) would be the best way forward.

OK thank you, I now also need to add that Malteser didn't have his temperature taken! I feel so bad for taking him there and for trusting them for 2 weeks worth of 'care' :oops:

OK thank you, I now also need to add that Malteser didn't have his temperature taken! I feel so bad for taking him there and for trusting them for 2 weeks worth of 'care' :oops:

But that is why we go to a Vet !! It is not your fault that the original Vets were not exactly Rabbit Savvy.

I know that's why we go but I'm so scared he could have permanent damage as he had no treatment for the brain swelling for the first 2 weeks.. I don't know what long term damage that could do and if he does have long term damage there is no way to prove it is the fault of the vet as EC can leave buns with permanent damage. His paws curl under when he walks and he can't balance on his hind legs to wash himself :( I fear these could be beyond repair, brain and nerve tissue is difficult to repair:? I cry to him on a daily basis and apologise to him for not getting better help sooner.

None of this is your fault, you were and are doing everything you could/can at the time. Malteser has a very loving mummy who is trying and doing all she can for him, he will no and sense it from you just how much you love him and are doing all you can.
I hope your claim goes well, it should do!

Back