• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gus stopped eating this morning and acting funny

Gus-ta-furry

Warren Scout
Gus stopped eating this morning (was eating hay fine last night) and was sat in the corner acting funny. He allowed my girlfriend to pick him up (first time ever)
unsure if he's pooping or drinking yet but will monitor ongoing, booked in for the vets at 12.30pm
will try and give him water (with apple juice) does iut have to be unsweetened ? and some greens soaked in water and hay
at work now so won't get a chance to help him before our vets
i suppose at very worse case scenario, he might not have eaten since 11.30pm last night

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Oh dear, you have done exactly the right thing by getting him to the vets, if it is gut stasis I would make sure you ask for painkillers and gut motility drugs, some less savvy vets often overlook the painkillers and it really is essential. Also don't be afraid to ask why something is being given, take notes if you need to.

I have a Gus too and he has had several bouts of stasis, I find fresh greens or dried herbs are usually the first thing he'll eat, kept trying to temp him with his favourite treats

I would just stick with water and not apple juice, the sugar, even natural isn't great for them

by the time i got home from work he had eaten his pellets, fed him fresh hay which he nibbled and a few mouthfuls of water with apple juice
vet felt his gut which felt fine and his teeth feel ok
she gave me hydration powder and liquid syringe fibre (didn't touch the powder in his water & i didn't syringe himt he fibre as he had started eating ok (not sure if the syringe might stress him and stop him eating again ??)
had to leave him to go back to work, but he was munching on water soaked greens when i left and was hopping around ok
thanks for the vibes

just in general, i give the buns apple juice one part/20 with water around once a month, as a treat or if the are not drinking their water, is that sensible ??

Back