• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippin is poorly again

Jonny

Warren Scout
My old girl has had a rough run of it recently. She lost her buck, her sister, then broke her paw and had to have it amputated... then last week she knocked her jaw on the patio, went into stasis and had to have her tooth extracted as a result last Thursday.

Vet gave her some drugs to stimulate the GI (along with Metacam), and she was gobbling away and doing so well on Friday and Sat... putting away huge amounts of food, which was great to see. She was a bit quieter yesterday, and was spending a lot of time back in her hide-out, then, this morning, she seems to have gone back a step. She did eat a few oats and mashed pellets, but nothing like her usual portion. Then she went straight back into her hideout afterwards.

We are going back to the vet tomorrow, but I am at a loss as to why she seems to have gone backwards again? Yesterday, I added the metacam and GI medicine to her food as the syringing was stressing her, and she didn't quite finish her portions - so maybe she had slightly less than she should have had? But I wouldn't have thought that would have made a big difference.

Will resume syringe feeding now. Poor bun. Any ideas?

Poor girlie, but what a fighter you have there!

What meds is she on, and how much of each one? If she has gone backwards then I would want her een by a vet today if she were mine, I think.

Sorry to hear all she has been going through. Such a brave girl :love:

Could she be in pain somewhere?

She's been through a lot, poor girl. I hope the vet can help and she makes a full recovery. Sending lots of vibes for Pippin xx

Thanks... have dropped her back to the vet. She will have a look at her this afternoon.

I had six pretty much care free years with my little trio of buns. Now, in the space of 4 months, two have gone to the bridge and my last girl isn't keeping at all well :(

Thanks for all the vibes!

Vet has admitted Pippin to the hospital now. Her mouth and jaw are looking fine, so she isn't sure why the stasis has recurred, but she is on a fluid drip and she is trying some different meds. Fingers crossed....

Just an update - got Pippin back from the vet this afternoon. She has spent the night on fluids and the good news is that she has definitely improved. She is pooping now and is eating a little by herself. I just hope this isn't another false dawn... she did so well from the vet when she came back last week as well, but then went back into stasis at the weekend. Still don't know what is causing this. Vet has confirmed her mouth has healed well from the dental work... unless it is a delayed reaction to her losing her leg (though that was a couple of weeks before Christmas).

Her current meds are:

Metacam 6ml per day; Metoclop 0.5ml x 3 per day and Zantac 0.4ml x 3 per day.

Back to vet on Thursday for a check-up. Fingers crossed.

Sorry, just a general question. She has been eating well since she came home - I am feeding her a warm mash made with pellets, oats and water. I have left out veg as well but she hasn't touched it, nor has she drank any water.

Should I basically give her unlimited quantities of the mash do you think? She seems to be gobbling quite happily now but I am worried if she has too much she might go into stasis again. That might have been what happened last week when she came back from the vet - she basically ate non-stop for a day and then just stopped? But vet says she is underweight hence my thinking...

Also when she got home last week I syringe-fed water with a little pure apple juice added to encourage her to drink. Should I do that again? It did seem to work, but then again something made her go back into stasis last time so I just want to play it safe on this occasion.

Thanks in advance!

Back