• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help/advice with behaviour issues

Lauren xx

New Kit
I have a gorgeous french lop buck, he is jus over a year over and is kept as a house bunny. I am having problems with him which i can only think are behavioural problems.
He spends most of his time in my bedroom, but everytime i leave the room or go out, he uses my bed as a toilet, or my clothes and even my bath towel if i leave it! He has a large crate which is just like a den for him with his food etc but recently i have had to shut him in when i go out as i dont know what to do to stop this behaviour!! He is nutered and i have tried different sprays to stop him but they don't work, he is a slightly naughty bunny anyway as he chews alot and likes to be distructive and ignores the word 'no' lol but i can cope with that just not the toiletting problem when he is fully litter trained! Any help or advice would be much appriciated, my next step is to visit the vet for advice.

He loooves you!

Neutered should have cut this behaviour down, but hasn't erradicated it clearly!

I'm not sure what to suggest - a few other members have the same problems.

My girls have a fleecy rug and they always use it as a toilet, I wash it in vinegar etc but they still use it.

I'd be interested to hear any advice offered!

This is something I wrote a while ago now, we've only had one weeing on the bed episode since when it was dark and Mischa felt he couldn't get off the bed.

You CAN get them to stop (I've managed it) but it takes time, perseverance and a lot of trips to the laundrette!

- spay, this is the first biggest thing to do (assuming you haven't already), an unspayed rabbit will just mark everywhere, showing where they're territory is, this will include your bed!

- don't give her attention when she does it, either negative or positive attention. Rabbits thrive on attention and anything that gets it for them they will repeat! This includes getting out of bed and immediately feeding, mine used to pee on the bed while I was in it to say 'get up mummy, we want breakfast!'

- don't feed treats or any food on the bed, this will make her associate the bed with food, something else that can trigger the 'give me attention' weewee!

- make sure she can get down. We had a lot of trouble with Mischa peeing on my bed, turns out he struggled to get down and just wouldn't. If he had to he would launch himself off, splat! So we built him a little ramp.

- tarps! A big tarpaulin works well to protect your bed, it also makes it less soft under their feet, something which i think triggers their 'i need the loo' reflex, and obviously it's a lot easier to clean up off of.

After about 6 months to a year we eventually got there and now mine come up on my bed and we haven't had an accident for some time (though every time I say this I spend the night worrying that they will prove me wrong!)

mine does the same but with a twist. When she's on our bed she'll pee, when she's on the couch with me she wont, when she's on the spare matress i use to sit on the floor with then she won't, but here is to me the funniest bit, whenever she sits on my husbands lap withing 5mins she'll do a little pee on him, it doesn't matter where he's sitting with her and she'll maybe sit on his lap once a week. she's sat on my lap for long times before and never peepee's at all. I might be imagining it but i can swear that when she's peed on my husband she has a really smug look, like she's saying 'thats MY daddy' :lol: other than those 2 spots she always uses her litter tray.

After reading some posts i'm wondering if it's encouraged because I always end up giggling when she pees on his lap and he always seem to comfort her, but does end up putting her back on the floor then. She doesn't have access to our bed anymore because our bedroom is up the stairs and she's now downstairs, so we've put in a little gate at the bottom of the stairs. I do still find it funny how she'll just pee on him and our bed :lol:

Back