• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting a lot.

lone_cat

New Kit
Oscar's cage was absolutely filled with his fur yesterday. A carrier bag was over half full just from the bottom floor of his cage. Then there was the top floor and all over where it had come out of the cage.
I only brushed him last week. :?

I've read a few websites/care sheets that say it's normal for them to moult in the summer but, even though he's indoors, it's freezing so it's obviously not because he's too warm. I've also been told that it's his "first moult" as an adult...? So he's getting rid of his baby fur and now will have his adult coat.

Is this true? Should I be worried? Is there something I can do?

Hi there,

I've also got an indoor rabbit and he is moulting really heavily as well; none of my outdoor buns seem to moult as much he does. I'm not entirely sure why I'm afraid. With Harley I tend to stoke and fuss him every day as well as brushing him when he allows me too. We have also trebled his hay allowance as we want to avoid furballs.

Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some light of why the indoor buns moult more

Hi there,

I've also got an indoor rabbit and he is moulting really heavily as well; none of my outdoor buns seem to moult as much he does. I'm not entirely sure why I'm afraid. With Harley I tend to stoke and fuss him every day as well as brushing him when he allows me too. We have also trebled his hay allowance as we want to avoid furballs.

Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some light of why the indoor buns moult more

Yeah, I've upped his hay. He's still moulting quite a lot though. :(

No one know anything?

I would be concerned and would probably take my rabbit to a vet for a checkup. I guess it could be a sudden reaction to the cold weather and so they are growing a new thicker coat.

My eldest rabbit is moulting a lot at the moment, constantly hoovering the house because there is a fine cloud of white hair. I groom him daily and get so much off, plus his cage is being cleaned every other day because of all the hair. It's my first experience of him moulting and he has been pretty bad since the other two rabbits were introduced.

Ta for the hay tip, I'll make sure he gets loads.

Is there anything else I can do for him? He's lovely and soft with his new coat, I just need to find a way of removing white hair from all my clothes as it's there after being washed still there is so much.:?

Just keep fussing and brushing them, I have readt that a metal comb is better than a soft bristle one for picking up fur.

As for your clothes try a lint brush

Back