• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dont know if I need to be worried

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jims doesnt seem himself tonight, he almost always trys to get to Cookies veg as she eats slower than him but I normally just put my hand in front of him and he eventually gives up, tonight he grunted, boxed at me and tried to nip my hand. This is really odd behaviour from him. He then went in to his house and we had a snuggle and I am not sure if he was tummy pressing.
A couple of days ago when I was snuggling with him and I felt what I thought was a lump on his cheek/neck, Dan felt it and said it was just a skin flap and nothing to worry about. I called the vets the morning after and the nurse said to monitor it but if he is not showing any signs of being unwell not to worry.
We did have a home visit booked for Jimbys VHD jab on the 31st which I have brought forward by a week.
Do you think I need to worry?

I think you're right to monitor him, and to note any unusual behaviour. If he's eating and pooing ok, then he's ok for tonight.
Where was the lump and how big did it feel? I once thought Ruby had a lump, but it was just where her whiskers were
:oops:

Its sort of below his cheek, I have had a good feel of it and it feels like a fatty lump or a skin flap, it is kind of oblong in shape, he does have something similar on the other side.

I dont think it is to be honest, it doesnt bother hik at qll when I touch it and snoosh it between my fingers.

If he's got the same both sides, it's likely not to be.
How is he in himself today?

If he's got the same both sides, it's likely not to be.
How is he in himself today?

Today he seems himself, still very lively and wanting attention.
I am just worried, do you think I can leave it till the 24th Jan or should I get him seen before?

Only you can make that decision, hun. If it were me, I would wait, but you know your buns best.

Only you can make that decision, hun. If it were me, I would wait, but you know your buns best.

I think I should wait but then that 'what if' part of my brain kicks in.
Problem is they get so stressed by seeing the vet and when we drove to the vets one or both of them would go in to statis so we started doing home visits which have not always been a breeze but much better than taking them in.
So it would mean another home visit whick obvioulsy costs (I would do it if needbe) plus it will stress them out lowering Jimby's immune response to the vaccine the following week.

I know what you mean about the 'what if'. However, it's not a black and white decision. You can always call the vet out early if anything changes.

Back