• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril & Metacam question

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Buckley has decided that his banana and medicine mash is offensive and won't even go near it anymore.
Obviously he needs to take the abx and the pain relief (he's been tooth crunching), what should we do? We can't say exactly how much of either medicine he's had but if he doesn't have the full dose of abx then that's not good, and if he's in pain that's not good either.

I think unfortunately you're just going to have to get it into him via syringe in the mouth. I had the same thing with this Marbocyl abx. Neither would take it despite apple juice, banana AND pellets so in the end I had to burrito Nutmeg and have Mischa on someone's lap or kneel over him on the floor. I was concerned about the stress but if you're firm it's momentary and after a few seconds they are happily eating treats again.

If he won't take the medicine on food, you're going to have to hold him down and use a syringe (unless your vet will give you meds to give by sub-cut injection). You don't necessarily have to pick him up to give him the meds orally, just kneel on the floor and get him between your knees, with his head pointing away from you. You can hold him so he can't escape, and get a second person to give him the meds.

Good luck

If he won't take the medicine on food, you're going to have to hold him down and use a syringe (unless your vet will give you meds to give by sub-cut injection). You don't necessarily have to pick him up to give him the meds orally, just kneel on the floor and get him between your knees, with his head pointing away from you. You can hold him so he can't escape, and get a second person to give him the meds.

Good luck

Thank you, we'll try that way of holding him. The bigger problem is that he's eaten some of the banana so we don't know how much to give him.

Baytril doesn't tend to have one set dosage. There is a minimum and maximum dosage, so a little extra shouldn'tmake too much difference. Could you perhaps call the vet and get them to advise you?

If it were my bunny, I would just go with slightly under the dose prescribed and syringe it.
Good luck x

Back