• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clip your buns claws?

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
As in the title really, I have noticed that my rabbits back claws feel a bit long. I thought they would wear down when they are in the run on the the slabs!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks Anna xxx

I'm noooo help but when either of them gets vaccinated, i get the vet to check and do it. I'm a wimp!!

The girls nails are pale and you can see the quicks but Luckys are dark and his bled once even with the vet doing it (it was when we first got him and his claws were very overgrown and the quicks were too). It scared me because Lucky was terrified and it must have hurt. I'd not do it as an amateur and rather a vet take over - it only costs a little for them to do it and often they dont charge me now as i pay so much for the fluffballs anyway. :)

It really differs with each bun.. I think every couple months at most and every 5-6 months at the least. Depends on if they have been on rough surfaces recently.

If the nails are black point a flashlight (torch?) at the nails and if there's a good amount of nail past the quick they're safe to clip.

Salt and pepper's get done every month to 6 weeks as they're not as active now they're older. Daisy-Boo and Pippin, probably every 3 months or so. Much less often anyway as they never sit still!

I'm noooo help but when either of them gets vaccinated, i get the vet to check and do it. I'm a wimp!!

The girls nails are pale and you can see the quicks but Luckys are dark and his bled once even with the vet doing it (it was when we first got him and his claws were very overgrown and the quicks were too). It scared me because Lucky was terrified and it must have hurt. I'd not do it as an amateur and rather a vet take over - it only costs a little for them to do it and often they dont charge me now as i pay so much for the fluffballs anyway. :)

Normally this but I had to do them this past week, couldn't wait until April. Still got the vet to do Nutmeg though when they went for snuffles checkup. :oops:

Thanks for all your replies,

I will call me vet on Monday and see how much they charge as I would rather they did them,
I dont want to hurt them.

Every couple of months usually. She has dark nails which have only bled once when I've clipped them in the last 6 years although she didn't seem in any pain. She is as hard as nails though :lol:. She won't let me turn her over (or, more likely, I'm too much of a wuss as I know she hates it) so I put her on the floor or sofa and get my o/h to distract her with treats while I clip the nails on whichever paw she has on show at that particular moment. She soon catches on and tucks her feet under her body and gives me the evil eye :lol:.

i have to do bella and jasper every couple of months, as they are indoor buns and run about on carpet their nails don't get filed down. i do them myself, never thought to take them to someone to do it so i just did it one day when they were little and that was that. never thought to be nervous about it :? :lol:
they both have dark nails so i just trim bit by bit and touch wood i have never made them bleed.... yet! :roll: gone and jinxed that now haven't i :lol:

every few months when it needs doing. yuki needs doing more often then yuri which is a great that it isnt the other way around as yuki is an angel about it and yuri fights to the death lol my oh has a scar down his wrist that makes it look like he self harmed because of yuri he is not impressed..... >_<

my oh is amazing with the buns he helps me check their teeth and do their nails etc.. ^_^

they get treats and a fuss afterwards though yuri gets annoyed and skips the fuss and ignores me for a while lol

I've never had to do Sweep's claws, and he is 3 :shock:

Everytime we take him to the vets we ask them to check them and the vet always says they are fine (last time was at his VHD last week)

His run is on patio and he gets free range so he must wear them down naturally by running on the slabs!

Back