• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i a bad bunny owner?

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Daisy is currently being treated for an eye ulcer at my vets, which is a medivet. Before she was diagnosed with a ulcer she was being treated with an eye infection, she was fulctiamide for a week then maxitrol for a week. Her eye was really swollen as was her 3rd eyelid so her actual eye wasnt really visible when administering her drops. When i took her last week the vet prescribed me maxitrol as it was a stronger drop. I took her again yesterday and the vet noticed her ulcer and said that the maxitrol could have made it worse. Should the vet have noticed the ulcer last week? Should i complain to them?
My oh parents are telling me i should change vets and go to the local p@h vet. They are saying they are really good and i should go cos medivet have messed up etc and they're expensive. My oh stepdad even said to me 'on your bunnies head be it' when i said that i was unsure about changing vets esp in the middle of treatment. Im getting very stressed with the whole situation so sorry if this doesn't make any sense just needed to get it off my chest. I dont wana fall out with the oh parents as we live with them and they have let me bring them indoors.

It might be that the ulcer wasn't visible before and it is only seen now because the access to the eye has improved and also because the ulcer has gotten worse. I wouldn't complain unless you are sure the vet has been negligent. I would go back and directly ask the question as to why it wasn't seen earlier though and see what they say. I think that is a perfectly fair and reasonable question to ask.

It might be that the ulcer wasn't visible before and it is only seen now because the access to the eye has improved and also because the ulcer has gotten worse. I wouldn't complain unless you are sure the vet has been negligent. I would go back and directly ask the question as to why it wasn't seen earlier though and see what they say. I think that is a perfectly fair and reasonable question to ask.

I agree with most of this. With regards to the complaint, I wouldn't make a formal complaint, but there is nothing wrong with writing a letter and getting a written response from them asking whatever questions you need to ask. You are perfectly within your rights to ask any questions you have concerns about, either verbally, or written. If you're not happy with the answers, then you can decide where to go from there, but if you are, then hopefully it will allay any fears or concerns you have.

You need to be sure that you're doing the best for Daisy. What does your gut instinct tell you is best for her?

Have you read my article on Advocating for your Bunny? If not, it might be worth a read (the link is in my sig).

I would say you can change vet mid-treatment, I just have! The new vet will request all notes from the old vet and read them to catch up with the process. If you have a gut instinct to leave I would follow it. It could be worth looking online about your medivet practice - there may be reviews out there from other customers.
I need to read the piece on advocating for your rabbit, I'm not at all pleased with the first practice we went to but if I start to think about it I will get annoyed and then start getting myself all upset.

I hope that your bun will get better, I would ask around to other pet owners you know, its amazing what stories can come to light.

if you are not happy with their care then change but i wouldnt go to pets at home.

If you give a rough location on here there may be someone who knows of rabbit savvy vets near you people on here helped me find an awesome vets when I lived in machester

wait lol it says it on your profile lol anyone know of rabbit savvy vets in travel distance? how are are you willing to go? benfleet, canvey, pitsea, basildon etc...

Last edited:
I don't think i will complain as Daisys eye was so swollen it was hard to see but my oh parents 'don't think they've done there job properly' and apparently the p@h vets are 'excellent'. Im not saying they aren't but i don't think it was case of misconduct by my vets when they didn't spot her ulcer. i just wanted a.second opinion, which is why i asked you all! I took Daisy back to vets today and her ulcer seems to have improved, its not as white but is still gunky from her infection. Ive been given baytril and she is also on metacam and chloramphenicol drops every 2 hrs till tues when i take her back. She seems ok in herself and is still eating, drinking and pooping normally! Im keeping everything crossed that she will be able to keep her eye although it won't be normal. Thanks to everyone who replied i will keep you updated, prob through my other thread in health.

if you are not happy with their care then change but i wouldnt go to pets at home.

The vets inside PAH are not part of PAH. The 'Companion Care' name is a wholly owned subsidiary, but it is run as a franchise, so the day-to-day clinical decisions, and any profit from the practice, go to the owning vet(s). So in that respect, there may be good vets and bad vets just as there are in any practice, but on this occasion I wouldn't tar them with the PAH brush; they are not PAH employees. I use the Companion Care vets in Chelmsford as it's by far and away the best bunny savvy practice round here.

Just on the flip side of the Oh's Parents thing, Tell them you have swapped to the vets they recommended & that they are great :thumb:

Back