• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can they meet in Poppy's run if neutralized?

steveg

Warren Scout
Okay, we really want to get Peter and Poppy together and are prepared for them both to remain inside until Spring.

Can they bond in Poppy's run (3'x4') if neutralized, just hay and nothing else in it? Or should we partition part of it off, down to 2x2 for the first 72 hours?

If this goes okay we can add more space to the set up with a small indoor hutch, or bring in the bigger run from outside, again neutralized, for them to remain in until winter's over. They would also get the run of downstairs for a few hours in the evening.

He's outside looking lonely, and she's inside looking depressed. We really need them to get together, so they can both hopefully, be happy.

Help please!!!!

You can bond them in a 2ft by 2ft space for 72 hours however it needs to be inside where you can supervise them.

That sounds fine :) Give the run a good scrub with a distilled vinegar solution, and maybe stand the run on a tarpaulin and then yes, just put hay and water in, that would be fine.

It's recommended to start at roughly 4ft by 2ft for space, so likely yours will be fine :)

I'd suggest having a read up on bonding to just resolidify all you have already read. This is my info on bonding http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm There is also lots of other useful info about too :)

Are you planning to 'date' them or just put them together and keep them together and fully supervise?

You could fill your run with boxes large stuff and remove them one by one until they get the full 4x3 ft run.

Thanks you all, once again, for your help.

Sky-O, I plan to put them together and supervise for the 72 hours. The dating method, which I'm sure works well, is just too tricky with our current set-up.

I'm really hoping they get on. We might be running a bit tight for time this weekend to get started, given other commitments.

We're discussing this just now and just can't make up our minds. We don't want to deprive Peter of his space and freedom outside in the fresh air, as he is sooo an outdoor bun, loves all the other birds, rabbits etc we get in the garden, yet they'd be so much happier together. I wish we'd waited until Spring but Poppy was screaming out for a happy home and some love......

Rabbits.......who'd have thought there would be so many decisions to make?? :lol:

Away out for a family gathering. I shall be pondering this over my beer(s).........:)

Good luck :) If you don't do it this weekend, then good luck for whenever you do.

I have some very outdoorsy bunnies, but I have to be honest, even my former wildie is so very happy inside. You might find he adjusts quicker than you think and might even not like going back out. I have a boy who when he was younger was a bit of a houdini and escaped a couple of times and could be found having a marvellous time in the garden (the rows of little digging holes were the giveaway and so cute). He was outdoorsy and loved life outside. He moved in for his neuter, which was a complicated one, and when he went back outside after 10 days he was the saddest rabbit around. He wouldn't eat, wouldn't move, was just sad. I moved him back in within a few days and he hasn't been back outside since and that was in September 2007 (and he is now actually agoraphobic and can't cope with being outside :lol:).

I was genuinely surprised how effective neutralising with distilled vinegar is. When we brought Scarlet back from BARC with Orinoco this week she sniffed around everything and explored as if she had never been in either the house cage or the hutch. I used it neat. Top tip from me is if using a scrubbing brush with it, stick some goggles on, it smarts when it sprays back in your eye!

Back