• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice to give to new bunny owner?

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
A colleage mentioned in the staff room that she is getting a rabbit for her daughter. I don't know this lady well but offered to give her a run, bowl, litter tray, snuggle safe and some toys. I also gave her a little advice on neutering, best pellets to get and how important hay is. I am downloading and printing the care and advice leaflets from rwaf.

I am glad she seems to be wanting to learn about rabbits before she actually gets one (or two). The only thing that concerns me is she was talking about getting a baby bun and keeping it outside. This will be very dangerous at this time of year will it not asa the bunny won't have its winter coat? I have a cage she can use to keep it indoors.

Sorry for the preamble-is there anything else I shld tell her about?

Yes getting a baby bun at the moment that has been living indoors will need to be housed indoors until the spring. If she gets a young one (not a baby, but one that is old enough to have been away from it's mum) from a breeder who has been housing them outside all winter then I wouldn't think this would be such a problem ( I could be wrong). Have you mentioned about rescues? Try and promote the fact that a rescue bun will normally be neutered and vacced and the cost of those, versus getting a baby. The fact that pairs are better than singles and again adopting from a rescue could be better because she could get a pair.

All the best

Jo

I have an info pack that I give out to bunny owners. If you'd like me to send you a copy, and include anything specific, such as what you mentioned about the cold, then i'm more than happy to, if you're comfortable giving me your address.

I have printed off leaflets about pairs and rescues so hopefully that's what she'll do.

Thank you Sky-O. I have messaged you x

Back