• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dexter's Pasturella :(

MichG

Mama Doe
Dexter's Pasturella is having a major flare up :( he has never shown respiratory signs (which is good) but he lost his eye in November/december as he had an abcess in it. He has been doing fine since. Until a couple of days ago. He already has a minro head tilt, so they did x rays to check his inner ear, I was told there was nothing there and he was just a bit of a "wonky rabbit". Well I noticed his head tilt seemed worse a couple of days ago and when I picked him up he pretty much laid on his side in my arm, like he had no balance, and he actually "rolled" out of my arm twice yesterday (I was sat on the floor so he didn't fall). So I took him to the exotics vets who have always been brilliant for my buns (my usual bunny vet is off until Monday, she works for the same vets as me so I have to use her) who told me the x rays (that I had emailed across to her) showed a lot of pus in the inner ear :( so we are now pumping him full of anti biotics, Flagyl, Septrin, Baytril and Penecillin to try to sort him out. He is also on metacam and Metaclopramide. He is still eating, pooping and behaving normally. We have done blood which came back normal and sent off a c&s test to deturmine the best antibiotic for him.

Please can we have any spare vibes that his dizzyness goes away soon and his head becomes less wonky again?+

Oh dear, what a shame the infection was missed first time around :cry: Mistakes happen, we are all human after all. But maybe the Exotics Vet could run through the Xray with the Vet who missed the problem so that she will learn from the error ?

I really hope that the abx combo can at least contain things for him.

Sending him lots of vibes xx

Last edited:
Poor Dexter!

Just as well you took him to see another vet, and he is now getting treatment.

Sending loads of vibes for him x

Back