• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inssicors removed :((((

Charlie & Lola

Warren Scout
Had to take charlie back to the vets today, only four weeks since he had his teeth done, his right side are misaligned and the vet was shocked after four weeks... imagine i had of left him for a 6week, so glad i spotted it after so soon :) he is going to remove them on Tuesday and leave the left as they meet in the middle and look fine,,,,he seems to think he should be fine after this.. but i worried can he manage with one side gone or should i request both sides done and go forward from their ??

Hi Kermit,

No his molars are fine it is the front teeth, he had them trimmed down four weeks ago and the vet had informed me that his right hand side were misaligned but hoped that once they were trimmed and he was back eating they would stay worn down, I noticed 2 days ago he was having problems eating his veg..I was having to hold a carrot for him and he was only able to eat from one side of his mouth, So I took him to get checked and sadly because of the misalignment he hasn`t been able to wear`them down and they have grown rapidly in 4 weeks :(

Incisor extraction is sometimes necessary in poor allignment that can't be corrected or maintained longterm with burring and dietary change, however, 4 wks is about standard for some buns with incisor regrowth. How many burrs has he had to date? sometimes it can take a few to correct the allignment and might be worth considering before going for full extraction. Although full extraction is sometimes the preferred alternative. Has your vet tried putting a bevelled edge on the incisors when burring them down? This can sometimes work if you are lucky. I'm not certain about taking only one pair of incisors out and leaving the other? To me this may cause further problems in uneven wear that might affect the molars... I've never heard this be done before, most vets just remove all incisors. :? I'm not saying your vet is wrong, just that maybe you could discuss all options with him at length?

I was confused as I also have never heard of one side of Incisors being taken out and the others being left in. I would imagine that this could cause problems in the future. If it were my bunny then I would want to be sure that the vet had tried all he could with proper burring, then I would opt for full incisor extraction.

My Herbie has had all of his Incisors removed. After the first op they grew back in, so I got it done again. Now he has one peg tooth that grows back in, but we just get that burred every 6 - 8 weeks and he is fine with it. So be prepared for the possibility that you may not get 100% tooth removal as it is a rather hard task to totally kill the tooth roots.

My Herbie copes really well with no Incisors. The only change that I have to make is that I need to cut his veg into strips or small chunks.

Thank you for the replies,

He has only had them burred once which was four weeks ago, I think the reason he said he would leave the left side alone because they were normal and just remove the right side because the misalignment is quite bad and he would end up having to burr them every 4 weeks, which would cause discomfort on a regular basis to charlie...as well as the cost of 130euro every time they have to be done, I will phone him on Monday and have another chat with him,, I do think if they are to be removed that it is best to do both sides,, and he did explain about them possibly growing back etc.

Both need to be removed and I would talk to the vet about it. I have two incisorless buns and they manage fantastically.

130 euros to get them burred? It cost me about £6 when I used to get Herbies Incisors burred.

I definately think that you have to speak to your vet as I honestly don't see how he could take out one side and expect that the remaining teeth would not cause future problems.

130 euros to get them burred? It cost me about £6 when I used to get Herbies Incisors burred.

I definately think that you have to speak to your vet as I honestly don't see how he could take out one side and expect that the remaining teeth would not cause future problems.

Kermit it was 130 can find the break down, but that was consultation,anestetic etc. Quote for Tuesday is almost 150euro shocking :shock: break down is

GA induction 64.14
Dental Surgery 71.73
Baytril 5.04
Rycarfa 6.61

Total 147.52

I will call him tomorrow and discuss it a bit more..

Dave only has one bottom and top incisor the others disappeared :?Although they wear each other down pretty well he does need them burring occasionally but not as often as most "incisor" bunnies :)

Some of our other incisor buns have theirs burred every 2 weeks with no problem, it costs £8 each time. However removal would be around £150 I expect.

If they have ever only been burred once I would give a few more goes to see if they right themselves and if not opt for removal :)

Kermit it was 130 can find the break down, but that was consultation,anestetic etc. Quote for Tuesday is almost 150euro shocking :shock: break down is

GA induction 64.14
Dental Surgery 71.73
Baytril 5.04
Rycarfa 6.61

Total 147.52

I will call him tomorrow and discuss it a bit more..

Herbie never needed anaesthetic to get his teeth burred.

I would be happy with incisor burring without GA but not molar burring. Nino's incisors were done consciously no probs in the hands of a competent vet.

I must admit that occasionally Dave has had to be sedated to have his incisors burred as he has struggled too much :(

Thanks again to everyone for the replies,
My vet had told me for years they clipped incisor`s without GA but they found sometimes it caused more problems with the teeth cracking down the middle.... so the preferred method is under GA with a high powered tool...

I have spoken with him to-day and he said he has other bunnies with only one set of incisor`s and some often require burring once/twice a year on the intact set while others don't.... As well as some of his other bunnies with both sides removed and they all do very well :?

This is a pic of Charlie yesterday you can see his bottom tooth sticking out poor little man he is such a dote :love:

DSC_1756.jpg

Back