• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations myx/VHD

Dollie

Warren Scout
Can anyone tell me which vaccinations against myxomatosis and VHD are currently used in the UK? For how long do they offer protection and what is your experience with them?

Nobivac is the only Myxo vacc. Which needs to be given every 6 months [booster]

And there's Cylap, Lapinject and Anivac for VHD. Any VHD vacc needs to be given yearly.
Anivac is the best vaccine for VHD, both Lapinject and Cylap have side effects and Cylap's side effects are the worst

:wave:

Is that Nobivac Myxo-RHD? They are introducing this vaccination in the Netherlands now and I spoke to my vet about it today. She's still looking into things and is going to a training about vaccinations tomorrow, but she thought they have been using it in the UK for a couple of years already (which is not correct I understand?). The vaccinations that most Dutch vets use now are produced by Merial and offer 'full' protection for about two monts for myxomatosis and six months for VHD. The new vaccination by Nobivac should offer protection for both diseases for a full year.. Sounds lovely but I'd like to know about any possible risks. Also, the product information states they can't guarantee full protection against VHD for rabbits that had other kind of vaccinations for myxomatoses before. (Four/five of my rabbits had..)

(Sorry for my terrible English but I'm very tired and one of my bunnyguests just passed away, I'm not really able to think well now.... :oops::()

Your english is fine :wave:

I'd prefer the vacc which you have to get separately because that way my rabbit gets a health check too :)
If I got the vac done once he'd have a health check once, unless I had to get a health check done because something was wrong.

Your English is fine, don't worry. I'm so sorry about your bunny though.

You're right in that this is not the vaccine we have yet been using. We use the ones that Whitehood said. I don't know the name of the new one coming out though.

Your english is fine :wave:

I'd prefer the vacc which you have to get separately because that way my rabbit gets a health check too :)
If I got the vac done once he'd have a health check once, unless I had to get a health check done because something was wrong.

The vaccins we use now don't offer enough protection, two months for the myxi and six for VHD, vets advice to give the first one twice a year, the second one depends but most vets advice to give it only once a year. Which means our rabbits are only protected for four and six monhts a year. I prefer two checks too, but in this case it means there's more risk your buns get sick.. But unfortunately mine see a vet too often anyways..

Back