• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving for bridge bunnies.......

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Does anyone else find it hard greiving for their lost buns?

If you lose a person, or even a dog or cat, there tends to be an extended family that grieves with you, but with smaller animals that tend to be solely owned by one person, that support often isn't there.

Having just lost Hera I am acutely aware of the fact that apart from Ra (her husbun), no one else apart from me is affected by her passing at all :-(
There is no one to chat about her little ways, to talk about what she'd be doing right now if she was out in the garden, to remember the things she used to get up to, and how beautiful she was....

Sorry to start such a sad post on a Friday, but you guys are probably the only ones who understand.

Everyone else thinks she was just a rabbit :-(

I haven't had a bunny die yet, but I already see that cats and dogs tend to generate more caring amongst people, something I attribute to most people not taking the time to know bunnies, as it is harder work, but in my opinion more rewarding, as their love isn't unconditional as with most dogs, and they are more dependent on us than most cats, but less trusting in the beginning, so it is a steep learning curve getting to know a rabbit and getting the rabbit to love and trust you.

For the same reasons as above, I am personally more attached to my two buns than I was to any dogs, cats or birds that my family has had in the past, and while I'm not looking forward to the day one of them passes, I am preparing myself to grieve in silence with the remaining bunny :(

I have a good number of very close human friends, but I can say with 100% certainty that my best friend who has never let me down, or never turns me away is my oldest bunny Sharik, and even if no one else will grieve for her with me, I think the grief that I will display will be more than enough, and I think that as long as we love our bunnies, they love us, and they have a great life, their passing should be a celebration of a wonderful companionship between a member of the top of the food chain (us) and a prey animal, based on trust, love and understanding (after the initial grief is over of course).

I do not expect anyone who has never had the opportunity to build a relationship with such wonderful animals to understand what it means to a rabbit owner to loose not only a beloved pet, but also a best friend.

Sorry about Hera, and my thoughts go out to you and Ra x

I totally understand, its horrible :(

Fortunately I have my OH, who also grieved alot when my bridge bun Tilly passed. But other than that I felt quite alone as I wasnt on here at the time.

Most people will never understand but it doesnt matter. What matters is how you remember her, thats how she will live on :) :love:

My bridge buns were all when I lived with my parents and brother, who loved them almost as much as I did, so everyone cried their eyes out when a bunny died :( I think it must be very hard if there isn't someone to share your grief :(

I understand that situation completely.
I think that until you've formed your own relationship with a rabbit you've no idea what rabbits are about.
Most people simply don't understand so they can't bein to grasp the depth of the loss.

I would say that the deepest relationship I've ever had with an animal was with my Thumper. I think that he understood me far more than I understood him. We were bonded partners. Yes, the loss is very deep indeed.

I started to write his "story" to help my grief. However life being as it is, I've been asked to take in a baby bun found playing in the traffic if no one claims him in the next 2 days.
I know he'll be totally different & I'm prepared for it. There'll never be a subsitute for Thumper, just another unwanted, homeless little soul in need of love & care, & I've got space under my roof.;)

Me and Jay are heartbroken by the loss of our bunnies, my family in general are always hit by it. Me and Jay spend nights in tears thinking about Chicky, Jay hurts but he's stronger than me and he tries to keep it in. I cry myself to sleep most nights and I'm still feeling like I need waking up from a bad dream almost 3 months on. :(

My parents, Jay, Jays mum and my brother Gavin understand, as do my friends. Other than that noone cares, I guess I made them know how important Lola and my other buns are in the sense that it because a must that they asked how the buns are before myself and Jay. I always bring Chicky up in conversation even now, people know I'm still hurting but thankfully they accept it and do try to help.

I miss you Chicky :( xxxxxx

I can only imagine how devastated I will feel when the comes day that me and any of my buns are separated, in fact I cant even think about it without tears welling in my eyes.

Those of us on RU know how special and precious these little creatures are and how special our bond with them is. It really is a unique relationship.

If you want to share stories, pictures and other little thoughts of Hera on here, I am sure there will be others on here who will understand and want to share also. xx

I understand completely. I am still in the throes of grieving for my beloved Sutton. No-one else understands, though, so I try to make light of it.

I understand - I remember each and every bun, from Zoe and Jessica my original house bunnies, to Fiver who would take flying leaps onto my bed and skid across the duvet :love: I would wiggle my fingers at him and say "I'm coming to get you" and he would bounce around ears everywhere :lol: He would groom me until he found his girlfriends Button and Boo. He only groomed them for many years until that day in 2008 when he licked my hands again as he was put to sleep :(

I remember them all - beautiful big Daisy who broke my heart when I saw the shocking conditions she was living in - being told she had been rescued was like winning the lottery.

Bette whose little face looked down at me from the top hutch in a filthy shed - who would run to me down the length of my garden when I called her.

Dorothy's babies who went to the bridge on Tuesday devastated me - I sat on the floor with her last little one and cried and cried when I knew it was too late.

So many beautiful little furry faces - I am so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous bun but I really do believe they go on and run free in spirit xxx

Back