• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ulcer in eye- very worried

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
I took Daisy back for a check up today as her eye is still swollen. The vet managed to have a better look than last week and he noticed she has a fairly deep ulcer in her eye. Ive got drops that have to be done every 2 hrs and Im bringing her indoors as its easier. The vet said to be careful that she doesn't knock it or over wash as ut may cause the ulcer to burst, so would it be best to put her and her partner in aligning g cages so they can see each other but not get to each other as Sooty tends to wash her eye. Im so worried not had any experience of this before, her eye may have to be removed if the ulcer bursts has anyone got any experience of this kind of op?

Sorry to hear about Daisy.

What sort of drops did you get?

My Timmy has 2 corneal ulcers (one each eye), which he has had for almost a year, at least. He's had loads of treatment, but nothing has cured it. Having said that, they haven't got much worse either.

Do you have pain relief for Daisy? Timmy has a lot of pain with his ulcers.

Hi I've been given chloramphenicol drops and also some lacri lube incase i can't do her drops every 2 hrs. At the mo she is in her hutch with Sooty, Im going to bring her indoors later as it will be easier to give her drops. Does timmy has a partner? i was told by the vet to be careful that she doesn't knock it or over wash it but Im reluctant to split them. I didn't think to ask about pain relief was so shocked to hear about the ulcer. Do you think i should ring the vet and check?

Don't know if Timmy has been on chloramphenicol drops. Right now he is on Fucithalmic (antibiotic eye ointment), viscotears (similar to lacrilube but not as thick), and Septrin. The Septrin he was on for an infection, and while on it he seemed much brighter. He is getting his ulcers checked every 2 weeks and so far they are getting smaller, slowly.

Timmy doesn't have a partner, as his partner-to-be has been poorly. When I first got Timmy he was too down to try to bond, and at one point he was getting drops every half hour through the day. He had Serum drops, made from his own blood, which were given every hour, and other drops inbetween them. The serum drops we had to give up on as they nipped too much.

I also have Timmy indoors as it is easier to see to him inside.

I would check with your vet to ask about pain relief, just in case. I only have experience of Timmy, but he needs a high dose to stay comfortable.

She has had the infection for 2 weeks, the first week she was was on fucithalmic then the vet prescribed her maxitol which the vet i saw today said that its good for the infection that she has got but can make the ulcer grow quicker as its a steroid drop, but as her eye was so swollen last week the vet didnt notice the ulcer and neither did we and we've been doing the drops twice a day. I just feel so bad and Im very worried incase it gets worse. I will ring the vet about pain relief.

Back