• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who board their bunnies when they go on holiday/away

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
What do you look for in a good boarder?

What is important to you when boarding your bunnies with someone?

What is it that makes you choose the person you chose to board your bunnies?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

Last edited:
Accomodation Size/Type
Recommendations from other people
Knowledge of rabbits themselves
Availability of a good vet
Professional Setup (E.g, documentation to be filled out and signed etc)
Ability to cope with unusual situations and individual needs based on those situations (eg, being able to adapt to say a poorly bunny, or a disabled bunny)
I think that'd be my basis of consideration.

I boarded B&G somewhere i would never board again, because they were local and said they did rabbit boarding. They had no knowledge about rabbits and i regret it totally.

big hutches, and large runs on concrete :)

Its important that you listen to and follow any instructions that the owner gives you, no matter how silly you might think it is (unless of course it is causing the rabbit serious harm like feeding it dog food or something) do not just do what you feel is better or even easier.
Food requirments are a big one, you need to know what the rabbit is used to eating and what they cant eat

Accomodation Size/Type
Knowledge of rabbits themselves
Availability of a good vet
Professional Setup (E.g, documentation to be filled out and signed etc)
Ability to cope with unusual situations and individual needs based on those situations (eg, being able to adapt to say a poorly bunny, or a disabled bunny)
I think that'd be my basis of consideration.

I boarded B&G somewhere i would never board again, because they were local and said they did rabbit boarding. They had no knowledge about rabbits and i regret it totally.

Thanks Gray :)

What sort of accommodation Size and type would you be looking for?

Also, how would you know if someone was going to be able to cope with unusual situations? Or would you just question?

big hutches, and large runs on concrete :)

Its important that you listen to and follow any instructions that the owner gives you, no matter how silly you might think it is (unless of course it is causing the rabbit serious harm like feeding it dog food or something) do not just do what you feel is better or even easier.
Food requirments are a big one, you need to know what the rabbit is used to eating and what they cant eat

Thanks Georgey :)

What do you count as a 'big' hutch and 'large' run?

Thanks Gray :)

What sort of accommodation Size and type would you be looking for?

Also, how would you know if someone was going to be able to cope with unusual situations? Or would you just question?

From a personal perspective, i dont look at size as the biggest (no pun intended) most important factor - obviously, it can't be tiny, but as long as it is 'suitable' size wise and im happy with it, knowing my rabbits as i do, then i'm happy. Type is quite important for me and where the accomodation is; Eg, i wouldn't board them somewhere that kept them in just a dog crate, because that wouldn't be suitable, but i would board them somewhere that keeps them in a 7 foot hutch for a week, as that's still a 'decent' amount of space and gives them more than the minimum required 3 hop rule of thumb.

Type, i mean more - is the environment going to be stimulating? Is it just a wooden box they are left in, or do they have toys, litter trays, boxes to hide in, chew toys, mirrors etc - it HAS to be a suitable environment for them in my mind.

Re the unusual situations, i was thinking perhaps how they would answer questions, based on queries i had, if i had a ill or disabled rabbit. For example, if a mobility lacking rabbit was to be boarded with the boarder, how would they cope with that? Would they remove ramps, make sure the environment was adapted to that rabbits individual needs - i'd want to be shown proof they have tried to adapt for the individual situation, based upon those needs before i walked away leaving them there.

Does that make sense? I'm struggling from sleep deprivation and my words look all jumbled to me and i may have repeated myself a few times *embarrassed smiley*

Accomodation Size -my four are used to a shed with attached run and need the space
Availability of a good vet- ideally my own as I would try to use someone who was local
Insurance
Whether they checked all boarders are vaccs and disinfect between residents
Proximity to other buns as my group and A and E have issues with referred agression
Feed and routine - will they stick to what I tell them?
Knowledge of stasis buns as, touch wood, thats the only problem mine have had but Chloe and Albert are both very sensitive and will stop eating quite quickly

What do you look for in a good boarder?
Mrs Bunnykins aka Hoppy Hollidays in Pershore

What is important to you when boarding your bunnies with someone?
Mrs Bunnykins

What is it that makes you choose the person you chose to board your bunnies?
Mrs Bunnykins

Can you tell I'm her biggest fan? LOL! :)

Id want a hutch at least 6x2x2, but 7ft would be better. Large run of atleast 6x4 but if it was 8x4 or even bigger that'd be great as thats what we have here :)

Thank you :)

From a personal perspective, i dont look at size as the biggest (no pun intended) most important factor - obviously, it can't be tiny, but as long as it is 'suitable' size wise and im happy with it, knowing my rabbits as i do, then i'm happy. Type is quite important for me and where the accomodation is; Eg, i wouldn't board them somewhere that kept them in just a dog crate, because that wouldn't be suitable, but i would board them somewhere that keeps them in a 7 foot hutch for a week, as that's still a 'decent' amount of space and gives them more than the minimum required 3 hop rule of thumb.

Type, i mean more - is the environment going to be stimulating? Is it just a wooden box they are left in, or do they have toys, litter trays, boxes to hide in, chew toys, mirrors etc - it HAS to be a suitable environment for them in my mind.

Re the unusual situations, i was thinking perhaps how they would answer questions, based on queries i had, if i had a ill or disabled rabbit. For example, if a mobility lacking rabbit was to be boarded with the boarder, how would they cope with that? Would they remove ramps, make sure the environment was adapted to that rabbits individual needs - i'd want to be shown proof they have tried to adapt for the individual situation, based upon those needs before i walked away leaving them there.

Does that make sense? I'm struggling from sleep deprivation and my words look all jumbled to me and i may have repeated myself a few times *embarrassed smiley*

Thanks Gray, that does make sense :)

Accomodation Size -my four are used to a shed with attached run and need the space
Availability of a good vet- ideally my own as I would try to use someone who was local
Insurance
Whether they checked all boarders are vaccs and disinfect between residents
Proximity to other buns as my group and A and E have issues with referred agression
Feed and routine - will they stick to what I tell them?
Knowledge of stasis buns as, touch wood, thats the only problem mine have had but Chloe and Albert are both very sensitive and will stop eating quite quickly

Thank you :)

Can you tell I'm her biggest fan? LOL! :)

Yes :lol: But it doesn't tell me much about what you like about her boarding, or what you might look for if she couldn't board for you. :lol:

So, what is it you like about her boarding? What does she do that makes you her biggest fan?

The first thing I looked for was accommodation size - it's really hard for indoor buns to find anything suitable, particularly if your buns are used to pen-type setups and free-range time as many on here are. I could never leave them somewhere that they would be shut in a 6x2 space for a week - Fudge probably wouldn't mind as she's lazy, but Truffle would go nuts.

I didn't sent out with specific criteria in mind, but I got a good impression from the places I visited. Camp Nibble were the first place they went (before they became a rescue) - I was a new owner at the time and it was just so obvious that they were so knowledgeable and caring that I knew they would be in good hands.

I visited another place, which had a very professional setup - all the right words and paperwork etc, but the lady who showed me around told me whilst chatting that she used to own rabbits but they kept dying - it didn't really inspire confidence! They were more focussed on cats and dogs, and while it was obvious that the staff cared, I wouldn't say they were especially bunny-savvy. Having said that, I would consider using them for short periods as they have decent sized accommodation and it's very close to me.

Mine currently go to Tuckerbunnies and they are just fab. I didn't even visit them before taking them for the first time - I had seen pictures of Maysie's setup on here and it was so good, and after I got in touch with her she sent me an enormous email with loads more pictures and so much information about what they do (I couldn't have thought of anything else to ask if I'd tried) and all their own bunnies etc etc. As with Camp Nibble it was just so obvious that they cared and knew what they were doing.

I don't think necessarily having a particularly professional or business-like setup is important - a good website might help generate business but it doesn't say anything at all about the care they'll receive. Likewise having the right forms only says that they have covered their own backs!

I think having their own rabbits and all the experience that goes with that is really important - I know if anything happened to either of mine while we were away, they would get whatever treatment they needed, and that the best decisions would be made for them if I couldn't be contacted - that's such a massive thing to trust someone with, but it's not really something that you can ascertain by having a list of questions answered.

Goash -I've gone on a bit. I think I'm just trying to say that it's more about getting a feel for the people, rather than necessarily ticking boxes.

The first thing I looked for was accommodation size - it's really hard for indoor buns to find anything suitable, particularly if your buns are used to pen-type setups and free-range time as many on here are. I could never leave them somewhere that they would be shut in a 6x2 space for a week - Fudge probably wouldn't mind as she's lazy, but Truffle would go nuts.

I didn't sent out with specific criteria in mind, but I got a good impression from the places I visited. Camp Nibble were the first place they went (before they became a rescue) - I was a new owner at the time and it was just so obvious that they were so knowledgeable and caring that I knew they would be in good hands.

I visited another place, which had a very professional setup - all the right words and paperwork etc, but the lady who showed me around told me whilst chatting that she used to own rabbits but they kept dying - it didn't really inspire confidence! They were more focussed on cats and dogs, and while it was obvious that the staff cared, I wouldn't say they were especially bunny-savvy. Having said that, I would consider using them for short periods as they have decent sized accommodation and it's very close to me.

Mine currently go to Tuckerbunnies and they are just fab. I didn't even visit them before taking them for the first time - I had seen pictures of Maysie's setup on here and it was so good, and after I got in touch with her she sent me an enormous email with loads more pictures and so much information about what they do (I couldn't have thought of anything else to ask if I'd tried) and all their own bunnies etc etc. As with Camp Nibble it was just so obvious that they cared and knew what they were doing.

I don't think necessarily having a particularly professional or business-like setup is important - a good website might help generate business but it doesn't say anything at all about the care they'll receive. Likewise having the right forms only says that they have covered their own backs!

I think having their own rabbits and all the experience that goes with that is really important - I know if anything happened to either of mine while we were away, they would get whatever treatment they needed, and that the best decisions would be made for them if I couldn't be contacted - that's such a massive thing to trust someone with, but it's not really something that you can ascertain by having a list of questions answered.

Goash -I've gone on a bit. I think I'm just trying to say that it's more about getting a feel for the people, rather than necessarily ticking boxes.

No, you didn't go on, that was great, thanks :)

I guess what you're saying is gut feeling about the people is very important.

Yes that's it - gut feel. Difficult to create that though!

I think the amount of information I received by email definitely helped - it was far from just 'yes, we do x, y, z', but really enthusiastic chat about bunnies and setups and so many photos - and obviously not just some 'sales pitch' they farm out to everyone.

This is a great thread. My friend who boarded my buns is giving up and paying her regulars onto me. I am also going to be recommended by the rescue I foster for which I hope will instil some confidence. I am also getting third party insurance which is public liability, any accidents whilst here, getting lost and medical emergencies. I can tell people I have am excellent very who is open seven days although I will be happy to use the clients item vet where practical.

I can make my own hutches which are 6x2x2 and 7x3 runs for daytime exercise. At night, all hutches and the garden gate will be padlocked.

I am also going to text regularly to let clients know their pets are ok and send a couple of photos to. I am going to steal an idea from Mrs Bunnykins too which is sending each bun home with a doggy bag of herbs, veg and food to tide them over till the owners go shopping.

This is a great thread. My friend who boarded my buns is giving up and paying her regulars onto me. I am also going to be recommended by the rescue I foster for which I hope will instil some confidence. I am also getting third party insurance which is public liability, any accidents whilst here, getting lost and medical emergencies. I can tell people I have am excellent very who is open seven days although I will be happy to use the clients item vet where practical.

I can make my own hutches which are 6x2x2 and 7x3 runs for daytime exercise. At night, all hutches and the garden gate will be padlocked.

I am also going to text regularly to let clients know their pets are ok and send a couple of photos to. I am going to steal an idea from Mrs Bunnykins too which is sending each bun home with a doggy bag of herbs, veg and food to tide them over till the owners go shopping.

I guess really this is for the other thread, but talk to me about Insurance. I was aware of the need for it, but wasn't sure what was needed exactly. Do you have a quote for your premises yet? Also, will you be using anything like petplan to cover the animals in your care? I think someone has mentioned something like that before, but I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Yes that's it - gut feel. Difficult to create that though!

I think the amount of information I received by email definitely helped - it was far from just 'yes, we do x, y, z', but really enthusiastic chat about bunnies and setups and so many photos - and obviously not just some 'sales pitch' they farm out to everyone.

Thakn you :) That's really useful. No, can't do much about creating a good gut feeling, if you try to hard it goes the other way anyway, but I definitely hear what you say about the info given out and how it's given out.

I guess really this is for the other thread, but talk to me about Insurance. I was aware of the need for it, but wasn't sure what was needed exactly. Do you have a quote for your premises yet? Also, will you be using anything like petplan to cover the animals in your care? I think someone has mentioned something like that before, but I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Sorry, didn't see the other thread, was working my way down new posts!

If you google pet boarding insurance there are loads of companies who come up. Petplan do a version of this called Petplan Sanctuary. This also covers the animals in your care like normal pet insurance with a£50 excess which I would expect the owners to pay unless it was my fault.

https://www.petplansanctuary.co.uk/petplan-sanctuary/pet-business-insurance-homepage/

I don't have a quote yet but from the ones I have done it's about £160 For a year.

Sorry, didn't see the other thread, was working my way down new posts!

If you google pet boarding insurance there are loads of companies who come up. Petplan do a version of this called Petplan Sanctuary. This also covers the animals in your care like normal pet insurance with a£50 excess which I would expect the owners to pay unless it was my fault.

https://www.petplansanctuary.co.uk/petplan-sanctuary/pet-business-insurance-homepage/

I don't have a quote yet but from the ones I have done it's about £160 For a year.

Thakn you. That's very useful.

Back