• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little bun Freeda gone in for her x-ray & possible abscess removal u/d not good news

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
Little bun Freeda gone in for her x-ray & possible abscess removal u/d not good news

Not sure if many of you saw my thread on the temp forum. Freeda has a possible dental abscess and i was trying to think of the best way to help her.

I've asked the vet to phone me when the x-ray is done to tell me what he has found so i can ask questions. I'm going to ask if it could be treated by antibiotics, if the infection is bad could the op fracture her jaw and what nursing care will she need if she has the op.
Is there any other questions i should be asking? Also does anyone have any experience of dental abscesses in buns?

I apologise if you already posted on the other thread and i've missed it.
I am so worried about her, i don't want her to suffer but i also don't want to give up on her either. Any advice greatly recieved.

Last edited:
Poppy has abscesses on her jaw and will never go. But since her dental and her course of antibiotics were over they have become very small and don't bother her :)

I don't know about fracturing jaws but I would hope that wouldn't be an outcome. The antibiotics helped Poppy so much though :)

Good luck Freeda :) x

I read that if they're shaving away alot of the infected bone it could fracture the jaw. It's just a concern i have to take into consideration thats all.
Thank you for your reply though, when she first had it done did she need alot of care and sterile bathing/packing of the wound?

I don't have any experience with abscesses, but I hope Freeda can be treated and given a positive outcome. Sending lots of vibes for her xxx

I'm sure they'll be very careful :) I understand :)

Honestly it was a case of watching her and if her 'mood' changed. When Poppy had a dental they did it a 'different' way, I don't fully understand what they did lol but the after care of Pops was fairly easy (apart from the fact she had to be syringe fed for 2 months :roll: lol, but that was because her teeth had been digging into her gums and they were sore for her :()

When we picked her up I asked lots of questions and actually wrote what the vet and receptionist (who gave me the antibiotics) had said and went from that really as well as some common sense, like if she looked a bit stressed then we would leave her and make sure she was comfortable and everything :) If I thought something about her wasn't right I rang the vets and they were very helpful :)

Just got off the phone with the vet, it's not good. She has several abscesses the jaw is mostly infected and her teeth roots go really deep.
Damn her previous owners they did this by not looking after her properly. God i'm so mad.
I've told them i want her to come home to spend time with her as she was still eating,pooing etc before she went in. Don't know how long we'll have together but i will make the most of it :-(

Just got off the phone with the vet, it's not good. She has several abscesses the jaw is mostly infected and her teeth roots go really deep.
Damn her previous owners they did this by not looking after her properly. God i'm so mad.
I've told them i want her to come home to spend time with her as she was still eating,pooing etc before she went in. Don't know how long we'll have together but i will make the most of it :-(

Oh I am really sorry :cry:

I hope that she is able to enjoy as much time with you as possible xx

I'm so sorry it wasn't better news.

I hope you enjoy whatever time you have left with her. I am sure she will be happy and very loved and that's what matters, she doesn't know she's poorly so that's a blessing.

Lots of vibes for Freeda.x.x.

Back