• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Malteser - short diary of EC recovery - He has been a real trooper - we're very lucky

Neleh

Alpha Buck
Hi all!
For those who don't know Malteser is my one year old English Spot cross - so called as he is white with brown spots! On 27/12/11 we found him cold on the run floor. At first I thought he was ill and my heart sank, then I opened the door and he looked up - relief! I immediately realised that was all he could do! :shock: I went in and picked him up - he felt limp, how they go when they are ill and then I felt sick. He was wet - that morning the OH dropped the waterbottle and wo we gave him and Snowdrop a bowl of water I'd seen them both drink from it before I left them and I'd returned with a new bottle.
I lay him on the floor in the lounge and tried to dry him whilst OH called the vet, it was 10:30pm so we were warned it was a flat £115 for an emergency :shock: :censored: I thought! Matt told the vet we were on our way!
I cuddled him all the way to the vet (about 20mins away) Snowdrop went into the carrier to come to. From symptoms Malteser and Snowdrop where put on Panacure (both for 9 days) and Malteser was given fluids, a pain killer and baytril. I asked for a syringe so I could give him food & water. That night was sleepless! I fed/watered him every 1.5hrs - his eyes were so sadl all night long. No interest in anything and no poop.
Back to the vet in the morning and possibly through tiredness but mainly his sad eyes and lack of poop I thought it was time to say goodbye. OH wanted to give another 24hours, vet gave him 10% chance of pulling through.
That afternoon he discovered carrot again (I now know not to give to poorly rabbits :oops: but not due to ill effect thankfully.) That night he pooped, it was horrid to see, his entire body cramped and he strained to produce the smallest hardest poops I ever saw! I massaged his tummy for the 2 hour stint (it was 12am!!) I didn't realise it was so long or that I had become freeeezing cold I only realised when I went to bed and saw the time and started shivering!
From then he went onto hay and pellets quite quick - water the only thing I had to give him myself as he couldn't move.
He began holding himself up really well once I moved him to a fishtank... this was meant I could pad his sides (rolled up newspaper covered by a towel covered by hay to stop him eating the support - increased his food intake no end!) I could soon put him on the carpet and he could sit like that, if he fell he could right himself! We had tried and it took two of us to get him to sit like that!
He can now get to his water and is trying to walk - been trying for a few days now and getting closer to getting to his destination without falling!
Today I took him on a road trip - a grand total of 3 hours for travel there anf back and vet time! It was worth it - he travels well and now he is more stable he sat up all the way! I was a bit bothered by one of the diagnosis' I got on the second trip with Malteser, this made me loose confidence in my vet so I found a new one with the help of you lovely people!
I went to Caroline in Leigh - I would recommend her to anyone with a similar issue - Malteser isn't a stressy traveller tho I did take that into concideration when deciding to travel all that way.
He is now on a dose of Baytril 5 times what he has been on (now on 1ml daily), Panacur is the same, he is finally on Metacam (I was told he will be bouncing off the ceiling by another customer in the surgery!) and Zantac.
The vet checked his teeth (a slight issue but not bothering him at the mo - he has been grinding them but this started when he tried to walk again so maybe stress/pain - he is used to playing out 8am-11pm daily!) ears and eyes are ok (tho there was a little scare in regards to them!) No x-rays as meds have seen an improvement and it could be stressfull for no outcome.
He is still wobbly on his feet and we hope this improves - he feels pain in them and she said that along with him trying to weightbare makes her think that the brain needs to learn how to communicate again for walking, I thought this too from watching and helping him! She said she has used accupunture in similar cases with good result - she did say she doesn't know quite how it works!:lol: a good sign was when he was next to his carrier, he stood up and hopped in! He has been trying that since Friday and managed today!:lol:
He is in need of a bath and she gave advice on this too and said I'm doing well with him - she was shocked when I said I've been sifting through for his cecotrphs in the morning to feed him - thankfully his tummy sounds happy and healthy!
Now to build him up - you can feel his spine and hips :( I'm to give an endless supply of musli! only whilst he is sick, then back to pellets, hay and fresh (he can have them too but less as he needs some fat!)
So thanks to all who have helped so far - now we need some happy vibes that he will learn how to walk again so that one day he can be the happy bouncy little bunny he once was!
Every day I know the OH was right (I do feel guilty about the consideration to put him to sleep tho:() as Malteser gives me bunny kisses! He lets me know when to stop worrying (he will eat pellets like "look mum, I'm fine, I can feed myself now, go have fun) he is adorable for affection "stroke me now mum... now stroke this side of my head... and this side.... thanks I give you kisses.... enough, now this side.... ooo I like this" that was last night before bed!
Snowdrop is missing him and loves visiting time - we have had the sweetest happy grunts in the world from him:love: Snowdrop is having the chop this week/next so will need some extra love himself before soon too!

Last edited:
Sending tons of vibes for Malteser, it's so worrying having a poorly bun. I hope he recovers quickly xx

I'm so glad you saw Caroline :D Sounds like you are both amazing bunny parents and am sending lots of vibes for Malteser to continue recovery xx

Oh, you're an amazing mom, keep up the good work. So, I'm sorry if I sound thick but how exactly did this illness occure?
Tons of vibes coming your way.
Malteser(lovely name btw) sounds(tastes! ;)) really sweet!
Get wel wishes to Malteser.

*hug*

i hope malteaser feels better soon, what pellets is he on, as when my rosie was poorly i upped her burgess junior/dwarf to try and help her keep weight on

Thats just it, we don't know - he was fine when we put him out to play in the morning and when we came home at 10:30 in the evening he couldn't move, was breathing funny and his head was in the air oddly when on his tummy.
He is being treated for the parasite E. caniculi or (less likely) an infection that spread to the brain.
There was nothing to note in him that was any different to any other day - scary stuff! I'd tell anyone to use Panacur/similar 2-4 times a year to prevent this! I found a tube online £3.48 free P&P! thats nothing to the almost £200 we have spent on his recovery so far!

Excell usually but got to get a muesli mix for him, to be his main food for building up again then back to the usual bun diet, less hay and veg so he bulks up on some fats

So glad you saw Caroline as she as been my personal and rescue vet for over 10yrs and would recommend her to anyone. Caroline is always up to date with rabbit medicine. If you end up going along the accupuncure route then i definately recommend it as it as worked for all my buns that have had it.

if anyone wants to visit caroline then her contact details are and just say Kay as given you the details.
MY Pets Vets
Twist Lane
Leigh
Tel 01942 677979

She is a wonder vet she really is! The trip for us - there, back plus the consultation took 3 hours, I got lost but she was wonderful about it all. The journey was well worth it, she is so kind and caring and its the only vet I have ever been in when I have seen other buns waiting - there were 2 other patients, both buns! I've never seen another bun in the vets before!
Malteser is doing wonderfully :bunny: I'm so so happy!!! (Tho I do still cry about it all and am preparing our complaint about the first vet we saw)
Malteser has been moving around in his fish tank so when we gave him his run today we decided that we should create a little space for him to regain his strength. Its quite a cute little set up and it makes me so happy that we can finally be at this stage with him. He is weak but gaining more stability each time he comes out. I'm so hopeful that this can be a lovely success story!

In other news Snowdrop, now Mr Snowdrop, for some masculinity, is recovering well from his op. We went to a Vets4Pets that my friend recommended to us and we are really happy with them so that will be our new regular vet from now on - they use Tarporly for advice on rabbits so that's good to know. Poor vet got an on the spot exam from me!:lol: It's horrible to think we put all our trust in the old practice and that could have left Malteser with permanent damage - if he is we cannot prove it was as a result of their 'care' I know that. I'm happy he is fighting ever stronger - oh, I even caught him eating his own cecotops yesterday morning :thumb: We do just love the sound of the water bottle and the crunching of his food whilst he eats - funny something so simple just gives us that warm glow inside

I think Malteser had some hiccups earlier - he fell and then got back up jolting and making a noise like hiccups.. was scary!

She is a wonder vet she really is! The trip for us - there, back plus the consultation took 3 hours, I got lost but she was wonderful about it all. The journey was well worth it, she is so kind and caring and its the only vet I have ever been in when I have seen other buns waiting - there were 2 other patients, both buns! I've never seen another bun in the vets before!
Malteser is doing wonderfully :bunny: I'm so so happy!!! (Tho I do still cry about it all and am preparing our complaint about the first vet we saw)
Malteser has been moving around in his fish tank so when we gave him his run today we decided that we should create a little space for him to regain his strength. Its quite a cute little set up and it makes me so happy that we can finally be at this stage with him. He is weak but gaining more stability each time he comes out. I'm so hopeful that this can be a lovely success story!

In other news Snowdrop, now Mr Snowdrop, for some masculinity, is recovering well from his op. We went to a Vets4Pets that my friend recommended to us and we are really happy with them so that will be our new regular vet from now on - they use Tarporly for advice on rabbits so that's good to know. Poor vet got an on the spot exam from me!:lol: It's horrible to think we put all our trust in the old practice and that could have left Malteser with permanent damage - if he is we cannot prove it was as a result of their 'care' I know that. I'm happy he is fighting ever stronger - oh, I even caught him eating his own cecotops yesterday morning :thumb: We do just love the sound of the water bottle and the crunching of his food whilst he eats - funny something so simple just gives us that warm glow inside

I think Malteser had some hiccups earlier - he fell and then got back up jolting and making a noise like hiccups.. was scary!

glad you found a vet you can trust and know kay so i know that the vet would of been one of the best for your bunny :thumb: i wouldn;t worry about the hiccups my buns tend to do that too, m soo glad malteaser is making slow but good progress n ganng strength

I'm glad to hear the hiccups aren't anything to stress over - I don't need anything else to add to my stress list ;)
Thanks for all the get well vibes too, they must be helping the meds get to work! :p

ETA: He is such a clever bunny - when he has been on the carpet he has been a little distressed as he is tray trained but had movement restriction so just had to go. In the tank he has started to move to the back to pee. In his new set up he has a big cardboard box on its side to form the back and then an open bit at the front. The whole thing has an old blanket as flooring - he just hopped to the darkest corner and had a pee, promptly returning to the outside area again! This is an awsome step for him to take! I just knew Friday 13th would hold some new breakthrough for him (I was born on 13th of Oct and my best birthdays have been on Fridays so I love Friday 13th's :lol:)

Last edited:
my old bunny Tyson is going to start a course of acupuncture with Caroline very soon. She gave him a trial of it recently and he relaxed and really calmed while it was being carried out and she thinks it will help with his aches and pains (old age).
I know Caroline has used acupunture on Kay's rabs to great success. It is well worth a try i think. So pleased to hear of malteser's progress and long may it continue :love:

Sending vibes for Malteser. It's great you have found such an excellent vet. :thumb:

It is purely down to lovely people here: 1. Tit was pointed out that Malteser was on the wrong meds 2. I was given Caroline's details by members here too. Malteser and I sure has a lot of people to thank! :thumb:

He is hopping around so well today it is unreal! 2 weekends ago I was feeling it might all be hopeless, he was practically sitting on his back , he could barely move without falling over, generally he would floop back. Last night I saw him scratch his ear with his hind leg for the first time! Yesterday he was washing his hind legs and eating his ceacotropes straight off the production line!:lol: I look at him and get a warm glow - everything he has acheived so far astounds me on a dialy basis! Some days he has improved before my very eyes, trying and failing in the morning and achieving by the evening! :love:

So I finally uploaded some pics:
Here he is when he moved into the fish tank: I know, my bad with carrot but he was still funny with food and I felt he was better off eating anything at this point. He hasn't had any for weeks! At this point he was held up entirely by rolled up newspapers each side - covered with towel and a layer of hay. He still needed a little cover to keep him warm
DSC_0567.jpg

He was a bit stronger by now so this was temptation aisle! He did really well then suddenly got tired - I learned not to let him do too much too soon as after a few hours he rolled over and couldn't right himself again :oops: it took a few days recovery to get over the effort:oops:
DSC_0571.jpg

This eve he had a good hop - here you can see that his front paw is curled under, it used to trip him up but now he copes with it. I don't know why or if it will get better. Iv'e read it is associated with nerve damage :(
DSC_0633.jpg

And again - he ran off down the hall and into the kitchen - we couldn't keep up :lol: you can also see the side of his hutch that he will be moving into ASAP! He kept going to it to put his scent on so that must be good :D
DSC_0635.jpg

Aw, thanks for the vibes: I really think they are working! :p:love:

Malteser just did his first binky for a long while! Only a mini one and in a straight line but blooming lovely to see (he is such a distraction from my essay:lol:!)

so pleased it worked out well for you going to see Caroline - she is the only vet I would trust with my four :wave: sorry meant to add this to last post but pressed submit too soon

Back