• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At the end of me tether

Oh, I'm so sorry. You have been looking after Buster quite intensively for weeks now. And you have a baby too , don't you?

Is you OH helping with much (even non bun things) so you can get a rest?

Do you have any friends who know rabbits, who could pop in to do the cleaning and medicating stuff sometimes so you have a break?

Its Buster, i dont know what im doing wrong. He's had really bad diarrhea all day today. Im almost certain that its caused by either the Metacam or Baytril but he's on these for his cystitus. Its a loosing battle, when he's off the meds he cant control his bladder but when he's on them his gut is awful. He's caped in poo underneath and the floor/towls/trays are thick with black liquid/tar poo :cry: i called the vets and they told me to persivre with the Bio-Lapis and hay only. He's eating hay like a tropper still, he's not in pain or discomfort but he has to be confined to his pen now (he normally has run of the kitchen) as i just simply cant clear up the mess anymore.

Yes i do have a a toddler Vita :) he's 18months which does make it difficult to clean up the mess Buster is constantly creating. OH works 7am to 7pm and the last thing he wants is to clean out the buns when he gets in. He made it very clear when i got them that he would take no responcibility for their up keep.

And to make it worse when i got up this morning Lola had stuck her nose through the side of her pen and has ripped all my wall paper in the living room :cry: its not long been done and i knew OH would go mental at me so ive tried to fix it and put some of the paper on from another roll but it looks really bad. Im just feeling really down about it all at the moment

So sorry it's hard. I do know how you feel (well without the kid). :(
What sort of diarrhoea does he have, is it liquid or is it like squashed cecals? Grim gets the latter from daily baytril but if it's worse than that I'm sure your vet is right to stop it. As long as he's happy I'm sure he won't mind being copped for a little while as you sort this out.

If we have a cage indoors we often put cardboard between the cage and the wall to stop then chewing the wallpaper. I don't know if you could do something like that?

With Mischa when hes on abx I up his pro fibre pellets to help his gut. Maybe that would help a bit?

Dear lord that's a lot at once. I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice, though I think *you're* such a trooper in dealing with all this.
You deserve a bit of looking after too.
In this situation I would have had the vets hospitalise Buster for a couple of days so I could have a break, but some vets make that pretty expensive. (Would also be concerned B might be getting dehydrated and the vets could deal with it more easily there.)
And I agree it's stressful when they destroy things.

Couldn't OH do a bit more for the toddler at least, when he gets in?

Would injectable meds be an option? I would also be worried about dehydration too. Does he drink dioralyte? Could he be given fluids?

Yes its all mushy cecals usually in a large pool of brown liquid. It dries rock solid onto the floor really quickly and you have to scrape the heck out of it to get it all off. I just cant see a way of moving forward. Without the meds he wee's every where and i think it causes him discomfort but with them he seems fine but has bad poo's. I dont know what to do for the best. I dont think my vet is overly rabbit savvy although she is the bunny vet at the practice so i assume she should know her stuff and she has been awfully good so far. Sometimes i just wish she'd come up with a mirical solution. He's not been right now for 2 months, it just gets draining. I wash all 3 of his towls daily (i tried puppy pads and caught him eating them so stopped using them) but i really do feel like im failing him. I hate shoving him in the bath and trying to wash him because it stresses him out and i know the next day we'll have to do it all again because he'll be in the same state :cry:

Yes ive blocked the paper off with cardboard now. She's not done that ever before, i was so shocked. She's been there for months and has never even attempted to eat the wall paper!

Im so sorry to hear things aren't all sorted, what a complete nightmare for you, I too would be at the end of my tether.

I haven't got any advice but am sending lots if vibes for an improved stomach soon. Thinking of you and Buster. Naughty Lola, they don't half know how to make a difficult time harder to they!!

I could give him dioralite SkyO if its safe to give him? Ive got a pack in my cupboard so i could try a bit? He is drinking loads, a least a bottle a day. Normally his poo's are worse after he's drunk alot of water. I changed his food over as i was told that the junior/dwarf excel pellets didnt help rabbits with gut problems so i changed him over to the adult light ones, this hasnt made any difference. Ive not been giving him any veg although i did try a bit of mint as i thought it would help... it certainly didnt and promptly came out the other end in liquified form :(

Would injectable meds be an option? I would also be worried about dehydration too. Does he drink dioralyte? Could he be given fluids?

Now this is a good idea! My vet showed me how to inject Grim and I can do it at home.
I wonder if your vet is not too sure on the idea if s/he could ring and speak to another vet about it. I'm sure my vet would be happy to give some ideas, I could give you the website for the practice.

Now this is a good idea! My vet showed me how to inject Grim and I can do it at home.
I wonder if your vet is not too sure on the idea if s/he could ring and speak to another vet about it. I'm sure my vet would be happy to give some ideas, I could give you the website for the practice.

I assume it would be the same meds but injectable? Im not sure, she wasnt keen on me doing it when he had to have injectable painkillers last time for a week i had to take him in every day to get them done. I wouldnt mind doing this again but i dont want my insurance thinking im going above and beyond what is required and saying they will stop paying for his treatment

It can be the same ones or you can actually get stronger ones because they bypass the gut. I have penicillin for Both of them at the moment (snuffles and an abscess) which is a pain because people in my house are allergic to it so I have to be very careful. It might be worth having a discussion with your vet about all the options available and why she doesn't want you to do the injecting at home. Some vets are against it.

Yes she did seem against it but maybe it was because i was giving of worried vibes when she mentioned it. I think i will have to see what tomorrow holds and then book him in again. I can take him in on my lunch break on wednesday (i work 3 days a week weds-friday 8-4) as im not in tomorrow. Its always a worry when im at work, i end up walking home every day to check on him then walking back and eating my sarni at my desk :roll: i worry that he's taken a turn for the worst and theres no one here to help him

Yes she did seem against it but maybe it was because i was giving of worried vibes when she mentioned it. I think i will have to see what tomorrow holds and then book him in again. I can take him in on my lunch break on wednesday (i work 3 days a week weds-friday 8-4) as im not in tomorrow. Its always a worry when im at work, i end up walking home every day to check on him then walking back and eating my sarni at my desk :roll: i worry that he's taken a turn for the worst and theres no one here to help him

*hugs*

I send love and vibes for him and you all

And more hugs from me too xx It's draining to just be looking after a poorly bun but throw work and a toddler into the mix and it must be a nightmare! You're doing amazing xx

What a terrible time for you. I can't offer any help or advice but I do sympathise, you must be absolutely worn out physically and mentally. I can see that one or two suggestions have been made already and I do hope something can be done to help you.

Back