• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies feel abandoned when they go into holiday boarding?

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi

This is a bit of a bizarre question but do bunnies feel abandoned when they go into holiday boarding? Daisy is a house rabbit who is never locked in a cage and we have never really went on holiday while we have had her. This summer when we get married we are struggling for volunteers to look after her when we go away for 2 weeks. If she went into boarding would she be sad and think we have abandoned her, especially as it would be for 2 weeks? She is pretty laid back but is used to seeing our faces every night, and is used to watching telly by the sofa, not sitting in a cage. I'm really worried that it will upset her if we send her to boarding for 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Laura

I am sure the buns that come to mine do not feel abandoned as I treat them exactly the same as I do mine, possibly even pamper them more as they are guests. I know that my facilities are quite often better than they have at home as well.

I think likely confused would be more accurate, as well as unsettled and scared. She might also pine and grieve for you (like I know one of mine does for me if I'm not at home when I should be, for whatever reason).

I'm not sure about the first time, but now when we take them they seem to recognise where they are - I don't know truly how much they remember, but they don't seem to be as unsure about the whole thing as they were at first, so I like to think they know we're coming back to get them (plus they get even more spoiled in boarding than at home!)

my four love going to kay's when i go on holiday but she does spoil them. Please don't worry too much as you obviously have to go on your honeymoon and enjoy yourself - if you can get someone to house-sit great but if not there are lots of really good bunny hotels around where she will be well looked after and you will be able to go away knowing she is in good hands.

When I just had Poppy she went to boarding once. I was so worried she would hate it & was very apprehensive when dropping her off.

When I went to pick her up I couldnt believe how happy she looked, she's a house bunny but it was a sunny day and she was out on the lawn in a run next to other bunnies and guineas. I felt bad taking her home & I swear she was in a mood for a couple of days. She enjoyed her holiday just as much as us.

My buns are going into boarding for 2 weeks in may and another week in august (same boarding place both times)...I checked it out well and reserved the biggest accomodation that they had and I think they will be fine :) I am providing their food, bowls, litter trays and toys to send as much of home with them which im hoping will help them!

thanks for the re-assurance :). Daisy is my like baby and cos shes my only bun i always worry about her!

I've been having the same worries. I'm going to Australia for 3 weeks in July and dreading leaving them behind. I would prefer for them to stay at home but so far having no luck finding a willing bunnysitter who really understands their needs. Going to give it a little while longer then start looking for somewhere to board them.

bella and jasper have only gone to my inlaws once and for the whole 2 weeks they hardly saw them as they would hide. bella had a right strop when we got her back home but she soon came round..... with food bribery ;) :lol:

i think it can be unsettling to them, and maybe makes them anxious but you're coming back to her and i'm sure she will love that fact more :)

xxx

Back