• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boris is sneezing, advice please?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I heard Boris sneeze, at first I didn't take too much notice but then saw him sneeze again so I have been keeping a close eye on him and he had no discharge and his nose wasn't wet. His sneezes are only little and fairly quiet, he hasn't sneezed more than once in a row and his breathing is not squeaky/it sounds normal and he in himself is normal, doesn't react when he sneezes. Nothing has changed in the room he is mainly kept but the heating has been on a little higher, so I turned the radiator down last night after I was thinking what could of brought this is on and it has helped, today I have only heard him sneeze once and yesterday night after I turned the heating down he didn't sneeze at all whilst I was with him.

I know many things could cause a rabbit but sneeze but what are the most common and treatments? I would like some advice so I know a little bit about sneezing for his vet appointment tomorrow. He was due to be neutered but obviously I will put this off until he is better and he has an appointment for tomorrow.

Foreign body (piece of hay or something similar) up the nose
A respiratory tract infection
dusty environment (hay change, new bag of hay?)

If its an RTI, common treatments would be a course of abx - but tbh, if its completely dry, i'd just ask the vet about it first, as its more likely an annoyance, than an illness.

Good luck at the vets :wave:

Thankyou for your quick reply :)

He lives in my room but spends a fair bit of time in his pen base (despite the door being open as he has his bed/food etc in there) and I don't think it's dusty as I'm cautious about dust because my rats are sensitive to dust. The hay he has is hay for pets ings hay, I don't think it's dusty.

could the mess he made with the alfafa ring, have made it dusty a bit?? bella sneezes when the hay is dusty or when she pokes a bit up her nose :roll: :lol:

could the mess he made with the alfafa ring, have made it dusty a bit?? bella sneezes when the hay is dusty or when she pokes a bit up her nose :roll: :lol:

I wish it was but he started sneezing regularly quite a while after he'd eatan that and I'd swept up? :?

I wish it was but he started sneezing regularly quite a while after he'd eatan that and I'd swept up? :?

and he hasn't got a runny nose or rattly chest that you can hear??

sounds like an irritant to me.... now the fun part of finding out what :roll:

if it helps bella is allergic to flowers :lol: and yes, i know it sounds silly for a bun but its true. she sneezes and has runny eyes of i have flowers in the house and it comes on if we have the windows open and the pollen count is high xxx

and he hasn't got a runny nose or rattly chest that you can hear??

sounds like an irritant to me.... now the fun part of finding out what :roll:

if it helps bella is allergic to flowers :lol: and yes, i know it sounds silly for a bun but its true. she sneezes and has runny eyes of i have flowers in the house and it comes on if we have the windows open and the pollen count is high xxx

No noise and I can't feel/see any wet but he doesn't stay still for long. Poor Bella! Glad she is more than at home as housebun! :) xxx

another possibility would be an allergic rhinitis - temporary. The INGS hay is very allergic for humans - sets my husband's asthma right off, and is very dusty at the bottom of the box. There are a lot fo seed heads/flower heads that crumble to dust in that hay and release pollens and/or get dust up the nose from time to time. His symptoms to me sounds like he's got a bit of dust up his nose. I would just keep a watchful eye for now and see how much longer it goes on for.

another possibility would be an allergic rhinitis - temporary. The INGS hay is very allergic for humans - sets my husband's asthma right off, and is very dusty at the bottom of the box. There are a lot fo seed heads/flower heads that crumble to dust in that hay and release pollens and/or get dust up the nose from time to time. His symptoms to me sounds like he's got a bit of dust up his nose. I would just keep a watchful eye for now and see how much longer it goes on for.

That's interesting thankyou. Beano and Gordon have had the Ings hay for almost a year now with no problems, also he's had the Ings hay since august (when we found him as a stray). I also keep his hay in a hay bag so he never has acess to hay staight from the bag, it is always shaken out anyway but that's something to bear in mind thankyou. :) Sorry I seem to have something to say 'against' what people have said, just trying to give you a bigger picture to see what could be causing this, not go against what you have said :oops:

Back