• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Vaccination - Ginger

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you who know me, also know Ginger. Just putting some feelers out so i can go and talk to our vet, in detail.

We discussed last week, Ginger having a myxi vaccination with our vet :shock:

She's so happy with Ginger's current condition, that she believes she's the strongest she has been for a VERY long time and now would be the time if we want to think about getting her vaccinated.

We know the normal procedure, as we've just had Biccy's Myxi/VHD done (myxi December, VHD January - 4 weeks apart - this is this vets idea rather than the normal 2 weeks - just because she likes to give the immune system a longer period to adjust) - but for Ginger, it's all different due to her issues.

So... Obviously, the vet will be asked all these questions also, but i wanted some other opinions, from experienced people too!

If Ginger was to be vaccinated, are there any signs i should watch out for POST vaccination?

Current issues;

Kidneys are holding stable going by blood results
Pasteurella/Respiratory area is stable (controlled by nebulisation and metacam now)
Teeth are as normal, 8-12 weeks depending on above issues

She's very bright, active and so as above, best time to try.

Are half doses of the myxi vaccine viable?

So RU - share the wisdom please.

My wonderment would be whether the myxo vacc. is the better one to go for as a first vaccination.

What you'll be looking for is just a general deterioration in her condition- likely the pastuerella aspect more than anything else, I would think. I would expect to see that begin within 2-4 weeks after the vaccination if it's going to happen.

I was very wary of getting my bridge bun, Sue, vaccinated but I went with my vet's recommendation and she was done twice while she was poorly, with no ill effects at all. The second time he came to me so she didn't have the stress of being put in a carrier and taken to the vets and I am sure that helped.

Sue only had the myxi though - my vet didn't recommend VHD and so she never had that after becoming poorly.

My Inca is quite like Ginger in the respect of being a poorly bun. Inca had Myxi & VHD Vacs when i first got her but had not been able to since, until late last year. She had a break in her antibiotics and was doing well, so the vet and I agreed to give her the vaccinations. She was fine with the two weeks apart. She really did cope with them both fine.

Back