• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want to build this >

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
I want to build this for the buns >
bunplayground.jpg

Basically I am hoping to build it out of a cheap wood like plywood or something, if you guys have better suggestions for wood or how to improve this I would welcome them

^_^

I think you guys can see what it is from my diagram...

The long part is like a tunnel and will have a roof that has hinges so can be opened up so I can clean inside and get to the buns if i need to. There is a ramp to the second level which the buns can go up and down or they can just jump on and off the second level.

I am trying to decide how big to make it, the measurements etc...

Its something we wont be able to use until we move out of my ohs parents but its something to work on and focus on until that time we are going to do it together ^_^

i apologise for the rubbish diagram i made i did it in paint

Thanks were going to need it! :lol:

I would as it would be easier and cheaper but I wanted wood as they can hide with the nic cubes its all visible also nic cubes are hard to get hold of...

thank you for the suggestion though

Put plywood along walkways and cover the sides with pretty patterned fleece materials :lol: loads of NIC Grids being sold on ebay...I was quite shocked :lol:

Can't wait to see the build :)

Put plywood along walkways and cover the sides with pretty patterned fleece materials :lol: loads of NIC Grids being sold on ebay...I was quite shocked :lol:

Can't wait to see the build :)

0_O yuri would destroy the fleece materials 0_o shes a destructive little madam which is why we need to make it out of materials she cant easily destroy lol

hum... i will look into nic cubes with something to cover them though add it to the list of ideas.... but i think the oh wants to work with wood lol were just not sure what wood to go for

Took OH several hours to put up 2 pre made shelves into the chins hutch. :shock:

Yes we are that bad. :oops:

Solid wood is the best.

Is it for indoors or outdoors?

Indoors would be fine with plywood and a small timber frame, if for outdoors then i would say cladding instead of plywood however you can use plywood outside as long as you treat it.

Indoors would be fine with plywood and a small timber frame, if for outdoors then i would say cladding instead of plywood however you can use plywood outside as long as you treat it.

Its for indoors ^_^ thank you
What if they wee on it? It looks fab.

this is why I am trying to find out what wood would be best as it needs to be one that wont be destroyed by them weeing

Took OH several hours to put up 2 pre made shelves into the chins hutch. :shock:

Solid wood is the best.

I am actually better at this than the oh but I will let him be mr manly man and take lead will make him feel good lol My dad and I use to build stuff he taught me quite a few things like basic plumbing, bathroom and kitchen fitting etc.. lol >_< feel like such a man sometimes

you cant help if your not taught it its all a learning curve and you did your best and did it in the end youll get better the more you try

Last edited:

Solid wood is the best.

This.website is German I think but easy to navigate around. They sell wooden tunnel systems like what you've designed. might be worth a look for.some inspiration.

http://www.plueschnasen.de/

:shock: thats awesome! thank you

gowd I wish I could order of of them I definitely dont have the skill to make it fancy like that and do the fancy wood designs and shapes lol

Cuprinol Garden Shades is widely accepted as being safe and used by many on here. Looks fantastic, can't wait to see it finished.

:shock: thats awesome! thank you

gowd I wish I could order of of them I definitely dont have the skill to make it fancy like that and do the fancy wood designs and shapes lol

to get a finish like that, it isn't difficult, you just need the right power tools...which costs money !

as for the right materials...I built something similar from white conti board from B&Q (www.diy.com)...great for wiping clean, but the rabbits couldn't grip

they loved the tunnel - great idea
they loved the roof - great idea for them to jump onto, to see their surroundings

but the drawback was when 8 of them tried squeezing all onto the roof invariably the one on the end fell off, as I had deliberately made it too small to hold only 7 LOL

Solid wood is the best.

As aliduncan1 said above, Cuprinol Garden Shade :D

^^ as above!:thumb: Once painted or treated you can use white vinigar to wipe away any wee stains that you will see ...the calcium marks.

I'd perhaps add ruts across the ramps for grip;)

We have an outdoor plywood tunnel - its fine but has discoloured - Id make it out of something alot sturdier if its to go out doors...and then also leave gaps if poss so in the winter you can slide in insulation!;)

If its going to be really high - then I'd add a balconye around the top so the buns dont fall or try to jump off - just something so its not a "cliff" ....and if the middle tunnel nit is high then that too...if that bits not high then they will be able to jump right up onto it too....:p

Id also add another access point for the buns to be able to go from the lower level to the higher level...either along the main tunnel area....so a box they can jump down onto to access into the tunnel or from inside one of the end boxes....I find my buns like to be able to have a couple of routes onto different levels and no only one entrance...they run around it like a race then too!:love::lol:

Id make it as big as possible - and really wide too...I wish my hutches were alot wider than they are - once you add a litter tray, a water bowl and some toys there is no where for them to lye out and they should be able to lye out along the width of the tunnel not just the length if that makes sense...;)

LOVE it and makes me wanna build something too!:lol:

Last edited:
to get a finish like that, it isn't difficult, you just need the right power tools...which costs money !

as for the right materials...I built something similar from white conti board from B&Q (www.diy.com)...great for wiping clean, but the rabbits couldn't grip

they loved the tunnel - great idea
they loved the roof - great idea for them to jump onto, to see their surroundings

but the drawback was when 8 of them tried squeezing all onto the roof invariably the one on the end fell off, as I had deliberately made it too small to hold only 7 LOL

really? hum.... the money part is the problem other wise id invest in those tools in a heart beat!

haha awww silly bunnies I only have to two so that shouldnt be a problem

I think I need to make it something they can grip as poor yuki would struggle!

^^ as above!:thumb: Once painted or treated you can use white vinigar to wipe away any wee stains that you will see ...the calcium marks.

I'd perhaps add ruts across the ramps for grip;)

We have an outdoor plywood tunnel - its fine but has discoloured - Id make it out of something alot sturdier if its to go out doors...and then also leave gaps if poss so in the winter you can slide in insulation!;)

If its going to be really high - then I'd add a balconye around the top so the buns dont fall or try to jump off - just something so its not a "cliff" ....and if the middle tunnel nit is high then that too...if that bits not high then they will be able to jump right up onto it too....:p

Id also add another access point for the buns to be able to go from the lower level to the higher level...either along the main tunnel area....so a box they can jump down onto to access into the tunnel or from inside one of the end boxes....I find my buns like to be able to have a couple of routes onto different levels and no only one entrance...they run around it like a race then too!:love::lol:

Id make it as big as possible - and really wide too...I wish my hutches were alot wider than they are - once you add a litter tray, a water bowl and some toys there is no where for them to lye out and they should be able to lye out along the width of the tunnel not just the length if that makes sense...;)

LOVE it and makes me wanna build something too!:lol:

Its going to be indoors so I dont have to worry about insulation though thats a good idea for anyone who builds one outside ^^

the ruts across the ramp I hadent even thought of! Thank you lol

yes another access point would be a good idea... hum.... I shall have a think about the ideas you suggested and the area this will be put into

its going to be of medium height dont know the exact measurement yet need to think about how big there pen extention and the room they will be in is likely to be, yuris size as shes quite big and then Ill start thinking about size properly I have a rough idea but need to check if its big enough for yuri. If it does go on the larger side what you have suggested would be a very good idea thank you

this is going to be added to their pen and dog cart set up so they are going to be some very lucky buns

Back