• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba eaten whole left over apple!

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

Happy new year to you all first of all, I haven't been on since before Christmas so plan on doing some catching up this week xx

My OH had seen me giving very small peices of apple to Simba as a special treat, so without telling me this afternoon he put his left over apple in with Simba's cage and she has eaten the lot! Core and all. Obviously I have told him off massively and warned him not to give her anything but hay and pellets without consulting me!

I just wanted to check this shouldn't do her any harm? I have been watching her poos and they are fine and she is munching away on her hay, acting normal.

Just want some reassurance really!

Thanks xx

Think it will be ok if hes eating and drinking normaly and pooing normally

But did he eat the pips cause I thought they were poisonous to rabbits

The best thing to do is keep an eye on him and nything changes take him to the vets :wave:

Mum used to give Bella all of her apple leftovers as well, core and everything, and it never caused her any harm. It's obviously not very good for them though so do keep an eye on her!

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, she is sprawled out relaxing now so obviously I am worried cause she isn't binkying around like crazy! But I think I am being paranoid to be honest.

I didn't know apple pips were poisonous, thanks for that information! All I knew was that buns should only have a tiny bit of apple as an odd treat x

Apple pips do contain cyanide. Only a small amount but they can be a big problem. I have given a rabbit an apple core, pips and all, before I know and he was fine, I just wouldn't do it again. Keep a close eye on her but she should be fine this once. :wave:

The greedy girl has just jumped up to me on the sofa and is begging for more food! She must have enjoyed it!

MORE treats?:shock: I don't think so Missus :lol:

Sharik has been given several apple cores over her lifetime (before I found out it wasn't good for her), but she's never had any trouble...

Back