• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Truffle's eye is odd

esupi

Warren Veteran
I've noticed a couple of times recently that sometimes her left eye will be more closed than her right - as if her left eye is more sleepy. She's been fine in herself and I haven't thought much of it - just thought she was a bit snoozy.

I've noticed it again this afternoon, and just had a close look at it (as much as she will allow). There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the eyelids - no soreness or swelling or anything. But - the pupil is smaller than her other eye and less 'defined', if that makes sense - also not completely round.

Has anyone any experience of this/any idea what it might be? She is still absolutely normal other than this - inquisitive, active, eating, drinking, following all her normal routines.....

Thanks.

Without being able to see the eye its impossible to a for sure. It could be a cataract forming. I would get the Vet to check her for you :)

Thank you. Yes - I think I will book her in. It's difficult to describe and there's no way she'll sit still enough for me to take a photo!

Just had another thought - last night I noticed her repeatedly shaking her head, as if to throw something off. Again I didn't think anything of it, but thought she must've just got some hay stuck on her or something. Now I'm wondering if it might be related.
Definitely a trip to the vets in order!

Well - Truffle's eye looked better this morning - the pupil was still not 'round', but the eyelid was open properly.
OH took her to the vet this afternoon. He said they had a good look at both eyes - turned the lights out and shone torches in them and monitored her reactions, but that they couldn't see anything.

They said it could be early stages of a number of things - abscess or growth behind the eye and EC included, or might not be anything at all, and have recommended just keeping an eye on her for now.

Back