• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppys overgrown teeth u/d might be cancer for Pops :(

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Poppy has overgrown teeth, I was just wondering if we should syringe feed her until our vet appointment but I saw a thread saying not to but where going to bring her in so we can see what she eats and just mush her food up so it's easier, she's a bonded bunny but outside Casper will just eat it instead:roll: Where taking her to the vets tomorow as they are fully booked. She's 5 and never had any trouble yet:(
EDIT: Not so much emergancy now, while waiting I found some good threads:oops: Going to bring her in anyway so we can monitor her with Casper not so easy because he's a hog and will eat her mushy food as well as his own:roll:

Last edited:
Good idea to check what she is eating. Can you just take Casper out for a bit while she eats her food? I would only syringe feed her if she wasn't eating. Has she lost any weight?

Update is I checked Poppys teeth myself, my dad checked them and said they looked overgrown but I checked myself and the top teeth are a couple milimetres over the bottom ones but that doesn't look enough to stop her eating to me. Her sister Cleo had overgrown teeth and comparing this is not overgrown teeth case. The problem is she isn't eating and has lost alot of weight so i'm beginning to think it's a different underlying cause? My brother has taken her into his room as he always says Poppy was his rabbit and is going to be keeping an eye on her overnight. I'm really worried now because I don't think her teeth are the cause, atleast not her front ones :?

It could well be her back teeth that could be rhe problem, the vet will be able to check this using a specual instrument. Did you say you have a vet appointment?

Yes but not until tomorow morning, she has lost weight, I can feel how thin she is but for now she is still moving about, being nosey so she's not just lying around although she does look miserable. I have had teeth problems in bunnies before and never seen such a dramatic weight loss. I've never dealt with back teeth problems before. Will she need to be put under anestetic for that? I've read it's really dangerous for rabbits over 4 and Poppys 5, never had an older rabbit before:oops:

Could it just be that she's lost weight because her greedy companion has eaten more than his fair share? (Sorry, I don't know how long they've been together etc for that to be likely).

Anaesthetic would be needed for back teeth but don't worry too much regarding her age, she's 'mature' not ancient so it may knock her back a little more than a younger rabbit but anaesthetic shouldn't be a huge risk to her. There are loads of other reasons she could have lost the weight though and not all of the solutions will involve anaesthetic, so try not to worry and see what the vet has to say.

They've been together for 5 years so I don't know how likely it would be for him to just hog the food now. They are 2 of the same litter, we have had them since they were 5 week kits, it's just so horrible when they look so poorly. :(

If it is her molars then she will need a GA if the Dental is to be done thoroughly. 5 is not old and I have Rabbits aged 10+ who have needed GAs. With the correct Veterinary care they all do well.

Is Poppy pooing ? If not and she is not eating at all then I am afraid tomorrow may be too late for treatment

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Is Poppy spayed and have you noticed that she is drinking more than usual ?

Poppys not spayed, and she seems to drink the same amount as she always does, she never drinks an overly lot. Her pooing is hard to notice being a pair outside, that's why I brought her in to monitor, but I haven't noticed any so far. We gave her just a little amount of food by syringe which she took, left some greens to entice her too.

There is also Frosty who has a scrab on his nose, which wasn't even there yesterday we just noticed it today, but I am not sure what that could be but that he just caught it on something but there's nothing to catch so he's also coming along. I probably look like a terrible owner but I look after them well, they have nice living areas, swept everyday, good food, vegetables everyday, good hay and water. It looks horrible having too poorly bunnies but Frosty is ok atleast, we just don't understand what that scab is:?

You can never need a vet for years then all of a sudden your in their constantly:shock:

Poppys not spayed, and she seems to drink the same amount as she always does, she never drinks an overly lot. Her pooing is hard to notice being a pair outside, that's why I brought her in to monitor, but I haven't noticed any so far. We gave her just a little amount of food by syringe which she took, left some greens to entice her too.

There is also Frosty who has a scrab on his nose, which wasn't even there yesterday we just noticed it today, but I am not sure what that could be but that he just caught it on something but there's nothing to catch so he's also coming along. I probably look like a terrible owner but I look after them well, they have nice living areas, swept everyday, good food, vegetables everyday, good hay and water. It looks horrible having too poorly bunnies but Frosty is ok atleast, we just don't understand what that scab is:?

You can never need a vet for years then all of a sudden your in their constantly:shock:

If she has not poo'd today she really does need to see a Vet straight away. Is this possible ?

Unexplained weightloss in a 5 year old entire Doe could indicate a Uterine Cancer so your Vet will need to consider this.

With regards to the 'scab' on Frosty's nose- Is he up-to-date with his Myxomatosis vaccination ?

Just to let everyone know where back from the vets and barely holding it together for the day. Frosty is up to date but I was still so worried, I couldn't sleep:oops: but it's an infection, a bad one they say that would have always been there and just flared up:shock::( but he will be fine with TLC and antibiotics but he's going back friday:love:

Poppy... not so good news. The vet says it could either be blocked up pellets:shock: has anyone ever dealt with that? I've never heard of rabbits getting blocked up from their food before, either way she will need it operated. They say if the lump has moved it is probably blocked pellets and if it hasn't then where looking at cancer and they said it would be more kind to let her go:cry:

My brother loves Poppy and phoned to see how she was but we hadn't finished and now we might have to tell him to prepare for the decision she might not come home from tomorows appointment:cry:

Could use some prayers for Poppy that it's the less drastic option, she's only 5:(

Just to let everyone know where back from the vets and barely holding it together for the day. Frosty is up to date but I was still so worried, I couldn't sleep:oops: but it's an infection, a bad one they say that would have always been there and just flared up:shock::( but he will be fine with TLC and antibiotics but he's going back friday:love:

Poppy... not so good news. The vet says it could either be blocked up pellets:shock: has anyone ever dealt with that? I've never heard of rabbits getting blocked up from their food before, either way she will need it operated. They say if the lump has moved it is probably blocked pellets and if it hasn't then where looking at cancer and they said it would be more kind to let her go:cry:

My brother loves Poppy and phoned to see how she was but we hadn't finished and now we might have to tell him to prepare for the decision she might not come home from tomorows appointment:cry:

Could use some prayers for Poppy that it's the less drastic option, she's only 5:(

I am confused, the Vet is going to open her up without running any diagnostics :? :shock:

By 'pellets' I am sure the Vet meant poo, not her food .

I'd of thought the vet meant a GI obstruction, normally a 'poo' based blockage - not actual 'pellets' as in food.

Vet will need to do further investigations before opening her up - bloods to test for glucose levels i think is the most common one, to determine if its a blockage, and possible xrays/ultrasounds to check the gut.

I am confused, the Vet is going to open her up without running any diagnostics :? :shock:

By 'pellets' I am sure the Vet meant poo, not her food .

Ahh I just asked my mum as I wasn't there (at work) and she never explains fully :embarrassed: if the lump hasn't moved then they think it's cancer and they'll send her for an x ray, she never told me that, thought it was strange. Then we'll move on from there.. is there a survival rate for cancer?

I thought she meant her food, feel silly now :embarrassed:

I hate the waiting and not knowing, the worst case scenorio is always what you think of first :(

Back