• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is any outdoor setup safe...

whitehood

Warren Veteran
From foxes ?

If they get determined to get what they want then is your professional built setup safe for your rabbits ?

We are going to have decking around the set ups so the fox can't dig in.
The meshes are going to be double.
Bolts are going to be added.
What else can we do ?

We don't have concrete where we're going to place the setup. We're going to use decking around the run and mesh underneath.

I was talking about foxes chewing to break the mesh. Pulling, ripping the wood to weaken the run. Is there anything that could prevent this.

I believe my outdoor set up is safe. I have two wendyhouses with a run in between them. One side of the run is against a fence and so only one side is exposed. It is double meshed and covered in clear plastic. The roof is very heavy, double meshed and covered with corregated plastic, the whole thing is on concrete.

I've always shut my buns in the shed at night. Use weld mesh rather than chicken wire, which can be chewed through. Always secure the bolt with a padlock too as foxes can open bolts.

I don't honestly think any 'regular' rabbit accommodation can be guaranteed as fox proof. We can use weldmesh or double layers of weldmesh, place runs on concrete and even place electric fencing around the accommpodation. But when push comes to shove, they are still living in a wooden box (shed/kennel) which a very determined predator could potentially chew through. But then if you do as much as you can to ensure their safety, they are probably at no more risk from predators as indoor bunnies are from something like a house fire.

To secure weld mesh to the wood, always use u nails as staple gun staples often do not go in far enough and can be pulled out from the wood particuarly once the wood gets dry

To secure weld mesh to the wood, always use u nails as staple gun staples often do not go in far enough and can be pulled out from the wood particuarly once the wood gets dry

Oh thanks for the info Janice
I'll just use u shaped nails then, are these type of nails ok for securing mesh onto the wood, will they go deep enough ?

I have seen some horrendous damage by a fox who literally chewed into a very sturdy, home build hutch, that was as secure as it could be made. It chewed a back corner (so mesh and concrete was irrelevant, although they used good mesh and did use concrete) and yes, one rabbit was taken, the other got very lucky and was moved into a shed, inside another hutch (double protection).

I think really, if a fox is determined, little will keep it out.

I think fox deterrants are key.

What are other fox deterrants are there ?
Man/woman/fox pee ?

Are there any else apart from electrical sonic devices ?

I think if a fox is really determined, no setup is safe. But that's just my opinion. I think you are only safe in an area you know has no foxes at all.

Nothing is 100% safe, not even keeping buns indoors, as foxes have been known to enter houses through windows and doors.

I'm confident I've done as much as I can to keep my buns safe in their set ups. :) Sheds with attached runs, strong mesh fixed with u nails, mesh under the runs, bolts and padlocks everywhere, a sonic Foxwatch deterrent and I even sprinkle used coffee grounds around the garden (might be an old wives tale that one, but why not!).

No success in persuading a bloke to pee around the garden yet, but I'll keep trying! :lol:

I have a very well made kennel and run which is double meshed and on concrete, I have wielded mesh around the lower part of the kennel on the outside, a bolt, rim lock and padlock, also have security lights, my dogs also alert me to any animals who visit the garden, not seen foxes but I know they are in the area. Every day I check the kennel for any signs of damage. I still worry about foxes and humans getting into them.

This is my kennel and run

rabbitkennel.jpg

This is the run part

bunniesintherun.jpg

This is the kennel part

bunniesinthekennel.jpg

the hatch stays open all the time so they always have access to the whole area

This is the adapted version of this kennel

http://www.ukgardenbuildings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

I had a solid side and end put onto the run, changed the flooring of the kennel to heavy duty, blocked the gap which they have on the run, had a window added to the kennel.

Last edited:
Back