• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get a lazy, tubby rabbit to exercise?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Tango is a bit on the tubby side and I've been advised by my vet to cut his pellets down. I've done this, they now share half a small teacup each evening and fill up on hay. They are currently getting either fresh herbs or dried forage as treats. Neither of them seem to have lost any weight, although Finx was a healthy size anyway so this is good for her.

I often see Finx zooming around the run, but Tango is very lazy! They can't free range as the garden isn't secure, but their run is made of 3 joined together - 6x4ft, 5x4ft and 4x3ft (ish) so there's plenty of room.

Any suggestions? Should I cut the pellets down even more, despite Finx being a good size? Would she keep filling up on hay? Or is this just a winter thing and will he be more active when it gets nicer out?

With Summer, who arrived looking like a beach ball, we used to hide her food so she had to work for it and she was soon bouncing about (still like a beach ball) looking for her food.

With Summer, who arrived looking like a beach ball, we used to hide her food so she had to work for it and she was soon bouncing about (still like a beach ball) looking for her food.

Ah ok, I can give that a go :) Do you think it would affect Finx much? I don't want her missing out again, as Tango seems to have some sort of food finding radar going while Finx hops about oblivious :lol: She is getting better at getting her fair share but he always beats her to it!

If you're worried maybe start to intrduce leafy greens and herbs (if their tummies can tolerate it) which shouldn't encourage weight gain, and use those, so if they find them it's ok, and if they don't, that's ok too.

It might help Finx to develop her food finding skills too.

:lol: She has had to adjust from the spoilt single house bunny she started out as!! But has more space and a new (if greedy) friend to show for it. Thanks for your ideas, I'll try that :)

Back