• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox advice please. UD/ Freaked out, brought them in.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I'm staying at my parents and I have the rabbits in a padlocked shed. It's a very old shed, still study but the roof leaks and there is a tiny hole in the floor where I assume mice have been in.
I can hear foxes outside. They live right next to farmland in an estate and I can definitely hear foxes calling.
How safe are they in the shed? What can I do to make them safer? Are foxes likely to chew through the wood/dig under and chew the floor?

I'm very worried.

I honestly don't know but I would think that the shed would withstand a fox. I am sure the buns will be fine.

Can you leave a window open if you are in the proximity of the shed so that you can hear the bunnies thumping if a fox comes nearby and go out and check on them?

Get a man to pee all around the shed and also the perimeter of the garden (but shed first):oops::shock::oops: :lol::lol::lol: The scent of human (male) pee should keep them away. I haven't tried this myself but two friends have and haven't had anymore foxes in their garden:thumb:

Yeah I will sleep with the window open. I'm currently trying to persuade my brother or dad to wee in a bottle for me... :oops: :lol:

Get a man to pee all around the shed and also the perimeter of the garden (but shed first):oops::shock::oops: :lol::lol::lol: The scent of human (male) pee should keep them away. I haven't tried this myself but two friends have and haven't had anymore foxes in their garden:thumb:

This really does work!!
I keep poultry in a field away from where I live, and a friend keeps some 500 yards away from mine in her garden.
We both pen ours up at night, she has had loads of fox attacks and we have had none. The only difference is we piddle round the fences. Men's or women's doesn't seem to matter. So if you can't persuade a man to wee, do it yerself;)

This really does work!!
I keep poultry in a field away from where I live, and a friend keeps some 500 yards away from mine in her garden.
We both pen ours up at night, she has had loads of fox attacks and we have had none. The only difference is we piddle round the fences. Men's or women's doesn't seem to matter. So if you can't persuade a man to wee, do it yerself;)

LOL

I volunteer :lol:

A fox will chew through wood with no problem, if there is already a hole there then they could get in, they will dig underneath, you cannot trust foxes at all, if it were me I would have them inside with me where they would be safe

Here an old shed should be fine, but not sure about elsewhere. We have loads of foxes here, but I've never had one attempt to get into the buns enclosures. I don't know why we have never had an attempted break-in despite others on the forum being plagued by foxes...perhaps our foxes have an alternative food source?

A fox will chew through wood with no problem, if there is already a hole there then they could get in, they will dig underneath, you cannot trust foxes at all, if it were me I would have them inside with me where they would be safe

I've just seen some rot on the back corner too. :(
Bringing them in will cause a lot of problems. Grim's health issues will flare up and I'm not sure I can rabbit proof anywhere and I don't want Smoo to electrocute herself.
Dammit. Going to see how rabbit safe my sister's room is.

Brought them in. I don't know how much of a good idea it is but I know it was either that or I sleep in the shed with them.

A few weeks ago I had a dream where I was at my parents' house and the bunnies were in the old hutch by the back door. I looked out of the window and saw snakes, one big orange one and a python. I ran outside and screamed at them and jumped up and down. They'd gotten in through some broken fence panels and in my dream I quickly bun proofed my sister's room and brought them in. I remember it being really awkward carrying them one at a time and I couldn't work out who to bring in first.

Well when I went out to check the shed I noticed some broken fence panels from the strong winds. As I was sorting out the room I was deciding who I should bring in first. The dream came flooding back to me. I don't know if I believe in signs. It is half three in the morning but it really freaked me out how similar the whole thing was. Just foxes instead of snakes.

I have windows open in the bedroom and a fan on for them. I hope they're okay but I know I feel so much better now. They're both sat under the fan.

Brought them in. I don't know how much of a good idea it is but I know it was either that or I sleep in the shed with them.

A few weeks ago I had a dream where I was at my parents' house and the bunnies were in the old hutch by the back door. I looked out of the window and saw snakes, one big orange one and a python. I ran outside and screamed at them and jumped up and down. They'd gotten in through some broken fence panels and in my dream I quickly bun proofed my sister's room and brought them in. I remember it being really awkward carrying them one at a time and I couldn't work out who to bring in first.

Well when I went out to check the shed I noticed some broken fence panels from the strong winds. As I was sorting out the room I was deciding who I should bring in first. The dream came flooding back to me. I don't know if I believe in signs. It is half three in the morning but it really freaked me out how similar the whole thing was. Just foxes instead of snakes.

I have windows open in the bedroom and a fan on for them. I hope they're okay but I know I feel so much better now. They're both sat under the fan.

Pampered bunnies :)

I've just woke up. :oops:
Now the epic task of rabbit proofing the garden again after the winds.

Back