• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Much Does It Cost - Vets

whitehood

Warren Veteran
To get tear ducts flushed ? (Notstril passages :? )

I'll get it done under GA aswell as a dental if Lucky needs it.

It really depends on the vets and what sort of prices they charge. I've only had Wish and Star have their done. Wish also had a dental, and Star didn't. Star's was about £60 in May 2008, Wish's was probably about £80 in August 2010.

Were both of Wish's eyes flushed?
That would £10 per eye .

Is it a special liquid that gets dropped in the eye ? What's the purpose of getting it done?

Both of mine were done under GA. the main cost of a GA is the GA, so when it's done with other things you only pay for one GA.

The purpose of having tear ducts flushed is so that if they are blocked prior to it, they are unblocked after. Both Star and Wish had a runny eye because their tears couldn't drain as normal. No dye was used on either of my bunnies. They used saline to flush out the blockage.

Often it's infection, so they get blocked by the pus; sometimes they also get blocked by tooth root overgrowth, in which case the blockage can be permanent. Even if it is an infection, it's often secondary to something else, such as tooth root overgrowth, or irritation due to use of sawdust/shavings etc. Santa had chronic snuffles so used to get lots of pus blocking hers occasionally, she had hers flushed under GA because she was too wiggly to do it conscious, but sometimes it can be done conscious if the bun allows. I seem to recall I paid about £57 for a flush under GA.

Back