• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furby to vet again

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I went out to feed the bunsters and let them out very early this morning as I was on-call and Furby looked sad - it's the only word that fits. He was in his run, not in the hutch, but looked depressed and 'unFurbylike'.

I picked him up and noticed his tail was a bit matted with urine, which concerned me. I put him in his hutch and put some food down and he didn't look interested, which concerned me even more. I fed the others and then checked on Furby who was nomming away on his pellets.

My vet is only open for a couple of hours on a Saturday and I could have been called into work at any time so I dithered for a while but after Munchkin dying suddenly last month, I thought it was better to be safe so I took Furby in, with Faye for company.

He had a spur digging into his tongue:cry:. The vet took him out the back and gave him a whiff of gas and cut the spur off. Said the rest of his teeth are fine but Furby must have been in pain:cry: The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and I gave him some metacam when I got him home.

I feel awful now that Furby must have been in pain and I didn't realise. He had been eating fine - it was just the 'sad' look and the matted tail that worried me. He had food in his mouth so the vet said he definitely had been eating - I hadn't imagined it.

Furby seems OK now. The vet has cut a piece off a syringe and said I can check Furby's teeth through that (it made sense when he explained it) so hopefully I will notice it a lot quicker in future. Furby would let me do it - he is easy to handle. The vet nurse commented on how much easier it made it for them if buns are used to being held, which made me feel a tiny bit better about poor Furby.

It worries me so much that I am going to miss something wrong with my buns and they will suffer needlessly. The cats are easier to check over - and I can see if their teeth need doing, but if a bunny is still eating hard food, it confuses me:oops:

Last edited:
Oh poor Furby!! :( dont beat yourself up about it tho because bunnies hide pain really well!! :( Its great that he's feeling better now.:)xoxox

Poor Furby. Don't blame yourself, there can be so many reasons why they are unhappy.

Glad all is fine now. Give Furby a nice big nose rub from me. xxx

Thank you everyone.

Have just come home and Furby and Faye are both in their run, which is normal as they rarely seem to use their hutch, even when it's very cold.

Will check Furby again tomorrow as it's an outdoor bunny cleaning day so I will be spending some time outside with them all. They usually hate me cleaning out their home and waste no time in messing it up again:)

I just feel bad that Furby has been in pain and I didn't know:cry: The vet said the tooth was quite soft and asked if he had been neglected in the past. He was one of the Lymington buns so it's possible he wasn't given the best diet when his teeth were growing. I think I feel even more protective of him as he is deaf.

When he needed a dental before he stopped eating so I knew straight away something was wrong. I had him neutered at the same time as his dental so maybe this time he didn't want the same thing to happen again and decided to carry on eating even though it hurt:shock:

Furby still doesn't seem himself. I've just given him some metacam in case he's in pain from his sore tongue. He is climbing the ramp to his hutch OK and was having a mutual grooming session with Faye earlier. He is moulting loads - their run was full of his fur when I cleaned it out earlier - so maybe this is partly why he still seems 'sad'. He is eating and poos are normal.

The vet said he checked the rest of his teeth after he had cut the one digging into his tongue and they were all fine.

I'll just have to keep an eye on him and take him back to the vet if he doesn't cheer up soon. He may need some more antibiotics.

Sorry he's not quite himself. I remember a photo of you holding Furby during the Lymington rescue, and he such a sweet bunny. Do you know his approx age?

i am a bit shocked the vet cut off the spur!! That can cause damage and/or pain to the entire tooth!!:(

I think youll find that is a big part of why hes still "down"

my first bun they used to clip the spurs off and her insiscor as it had got knocked out and grew odd...poor bunny but i didnt know.

bif used to have hers filed down awake on the lap of a vet called mark and shed be eating again and bounce once shed seen him!! her lower jaw was too far back for her molars to work together.

now burring is usually used...usually!!

in the meantime id give some metacam for a few days...some recovery food in a syringe..you know the drill;)..dandelions/herbs.......all tempting.

i hope he gets better soon xx

i am a bit shocked the vet cut off the spur!! That can cause damage and/or pain to the entire tooth!!:(

I think youll find that is a big part of why hes still "down"

my first bun they used to clip the spurs off and her insiscor as it had got knocked out and grew odd...poor bunny but i didnt know.

bif used to have hers filed down awake on the lap of a vet called mark and shed be eating again and bounce once shed seen him!! her lower jaw was too far back for her molars to work together.

now burring is usually used...usually!!

in the meantime id give some metacam for a few days...some recovery food in a syringe..you know the drill;)..dandelions/herbs.......all tempting.

i hope he gets better soon xx

Not sure if he cut it or burred it - he went out the back with the vet nurse. He brought it back to show me how sharp it was. He said that the tongue was sore so it could be that hurting Furby. Furby's moult is very uneven too - he has thick fur and thin fur - so maybe that's not helping.

Susiebun - Furby is very sweet. I don't know how old he is. I think Helen (the Duchess) told me he was only a young bun when he was rescued.

Furby is eating fine and coming out of his hutch into his run as usual. If I take him back to the vet he will be uber stressed again so I would prefer not to.

At least he is eating well.

Cutie-pie moults so much. Twice when I have taken her to the vets, one for her runny eye, the other for not eating, (not the last time), it was put down to her moulting. I have never known a bunny to moult so much, scratch and fur everywhere. Must be very irritating. Even now as I type I can hear her scratching.

Her fur has been tested and she doesn't have mites. Such complicated little creature.

I've got a cold/cough/asthma/temperature at the moment so am trying to work from home as much as I can. When I got in earlier Furby was flopped out in the run. It looked like a happy sort of flop, but I am still worried about him. I keep apologising to him for not realising he was in pain - he's deaf so can't understand a word I am saying but he seems happy enough to be stroked and snuggled.

I did wonder if he had mites but forgot to ask the vet to check. I'll have a look later when I give him his tea. Hopefully, the vet will give me some medication without me needing to take Furby in again if he does have mites. I am sure the stress of the vet visit hasn't helped him. He had mites when he first came from Lymington.

Furby is such a gorgeous bunster and so happy with Faye. I just want him to be OK again. I don't think he had a very good life at Lymington so want to make sure he has a wonderful life now.

I'm usually pretty switched on with my buns - I sense when I need to take them to the vet and when it's something I can treat at home - but Munchkin dying so suddenly has really knocked my confidence. I just don't know how I could have taken Furby to the vet sooner when he showed no signs that something was wrong.

Wouldn't it be good if our buns could talk? Would make life soooooo much easier.

I've got a cold/cough/asthma/temperature at the moment so am trying to work from home as much as I can. When I got in earlier Furby was flopped out in the run. It looked like a happy sort of flop, but I am still worried about him. I keep apologising to him for not realising he was in pain - he's deaf so can't understand a word I am saying but he seems happy enough to be stroked and snuggled.

I did wonder if he had mites but forgot to ask the vet to check. I'll have a look later when I give him his tea. Hopefully, the vet will give me some medication without me needing to take Furby in again if he does have mites. I am sure the stress of the vet visit hasn't helped him. He had mites when he first came from Lymington.

Furby is such a gorgeous bunster and so happy with Faye. I just want him to be OK again. I don't think he had a very good life at Lymington so want to make sure he has a wonderful life now.

I'm usually pretty switched on with my buns - I sense when I need to take them to the vet and when it's something I can treat at home - but Munchkin dying so suddenly has really knocked my confidence. I just don't know how I could have taken Furby to the vet sooner when he showed no signs that something was wrong.

Wouldn't it be good if our buns could talk? Would make life soooooo much easier.

I am sure if they could talk Mr Bennett would be shouting at me to put him down and stop kissing him. :shock:

Does sound like, as you say, a loss of your confidence since Munchkin passed away. Makes you worry about every little thing.

Cutie-pies teeth are not good, but as she is like Furby, hates trips and the vets and a GA is likely to lead to statis, it has to be left until necessary. Fortunately since her spay about 9 months ago no spurs have developed. Actually I am not sure if she had spurs, think it was a trim.

Hopefully he will be back to his normal self very soon.

Karen hun...sorry..that wasnt very understanding of me..i didnt mean it to sound like that:(

The fact hes running about...flopping and eating is the best news ever!! bif once had a case of nasty soft tissue damage...the side of her tongue and cheek cos the vet said it wasnt much of a spur...he got that wrong! but to be fair some teeths cannot be seen until bunsters out cold with GA and mouths more accessible:(

i love furby hes soo sweet. And him and faye are a stunningly gorgeous couple:love::thumb:

im sorry youre so sick hun..depression then that lot...you must have been very run down:(:(:(

i hopes you feel better soon...ah so your dvd player is no more...bunnys and cables even with bunny proofing on it:shock:

when were both better...dylan will cuddle you...can you please bring a bag big enough to take him home in..norty kitty..ive threatened to post him to amazon uk or anywhere!!!

aww amanda mr munchkin kissy bun?!!:lol:

karen youre one of the most diligent bunster owners i know and you usually know right away. You being so ill and furby being such a quiet bun..no wonder it wasnt spotted sooner hun. i had the same thing when bandit was dying..i never knew...buns are engineered to hide pain and sometimes they just do it all too well:(:(

nosey rubs for furby and faye...hugs and hope you get better soon xx

I've soooo missed RU.

Tuesday I woke up with both eyes shut. When I managed to get them open they were swollen and bloodshot. Furby also showed little interest in eating. I had to decide whether to go to the doctor or the vet - had a mental health client so couldn't do both. In the end I went to the doctor as I knew I shouldn't be driving with my eyes as they were. I have conjunctivitis and have been given eye-drops.

Tuesday eve I had to give Furby a bottom bath as he had the 'special poos' stuck to his tail - he clearly was eating, just not when I was watching. I then had to go to my night job but was sent home as my eyes were so swollen and red so I could have taken Furby to the vet but it was too late by then. Wednesday morning first thing I took him to the vet who on examination could see another spur so I had to leave Furby (and Faye) to have it rasped down. By then Faye wasn't eating much either. Her teeth are fine and the vet thinks she just got stressed by the earlier vet visit and Furby being poorly.

Since then Furby seems loads better and all food is disappearing and no more dirty bottom. The vet didn't charge me for the second visit and was apologetic he had missed the other spur. I'd been giving Furby metacam so hopefully he wasn't in pain, poor love. Faye is happy now her husbun is back to normal - they are so close - it's lovely to see them snuggling.

It's good to see Furby being Furby again:)

Oh Karen your eyes sounds so sore. Hope they are alot better now.

Poor Furby, glad the vet has found the problem.

Yes. I often have a cold which triggers my asthma but have never had eyes so sore and red. I ignored it until they wouldn't open and then realised maybe I needed to see a doctor.

I must have looked awful for the Manager of my night job to send me home. She usually expects me to work whatever - she implied I should be working when my arm was in a sling!

I've been home all morning resting and Furby has been nomming happily - so wonderful to see :):):)

Yes. I often have a cold which triggers my asthma but have never had eyes so sore and red. I ignored it until they wouldn't open and then realised maybe I needed to see a doctor.

I must have looked awful for the Manager of my night job to send me home. She usually expects me to work whatever - she implied I should be working when my arm was in a sling!

I've been home all morning resting and Furby has been nomming happily - so wonderful to see :):):)

Must be severe conjunctivitis.

Good to hear he is tucking into food.

Back