• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to wash blankets etc?

Janey

Warren Veteran
This week i've discovered Poppy seems to be getting sore hocks. She does like lying on fleecy blankets, however, I have avoided putting them down in the past as she wees on them & they are a nightmare to wash with all the fur they get on them.

So....seen as I am going to have to start using more soft bedding can anyone suggest good ways they have found to de-fur/wash bunny bedding?

Also, would it be ok for her hocks if I put the fleece on top of the rugs currently in place? I am looking at getting some foam mats but in an ideal world would like to wait for pay day.

I'm not sure but would Vetbed be of use? that draws away the moisture very well I hear. I've been looking as I found blankets and towels leave my man damp when he pees on them so looking for a stable footed moisture grabbing solution. it can be washed at 90degrees too =) xx

I usually shake them out outside and then put them in one of these...

http://www.speedgate.co.uk/ecomm/fo...ssories/moorland-rider-horsewear-wash-bag.htm

That way any fluff or hay that is left doesn't clog up the washing machine. Or sometimes, if they are really bad I'll give them a quick hoover first as well.
Ooh, I could do with those. Very glad you posted them. Though in the meantime I will try weighing the blankets down with plates from my weight set and hoovering them.
They are such a pest to clean properly.

ETA: Have read about a few sore hock bunnies on here who didn't get on with the foam mats. But haven't heard of any who got worse on fleece.
Thick hay, changed frequently is supposed to be the best thing for them. But it may not be very practical without buying lots of new accommodation.

Last edited:
Oooh thanks for the wash bag link, they look like a good idea.

Where is vet bed bought? Would somewhere like pets at home do it?

Unfortunately hay on the floor isnt really an option, they have a small double bedroom free range and it would cost me a small fortune to keep it completely covered constantly. She is pretty lazy so once I have found a surface that suits her I am hoping i can put it in her favourite spots & this will help stop her hocks getting worse. The room itself is laminate but ive read it's their main resting places that matter most.

Ooh, I could do with those. Very glad you posted them. Though in the meantime I will try weighing the blankets down with plates from my weight set and hoovering them.
They are such a pest to clean properly.

ETA: Have read about a few sore hock bunnies on here who didn't get on with the foam mats. But haven't heard of any who got worse on fleece.
Thick hay, changed frequently is supposed to be the best thing for them. But it may not be very practical without buying lots of new accommodation.

NP, I probably could've got away with the smaller one in hindsight but I went for the bigger one to be on the safe side. :)

Oooh thanks for the wash bag link, they look like a good idea.

Where is vet bed bought? Would somewhere like pets at home do it?

Unfortunately hay on the floor isnt really an option, they have a small double bedroom free range and it would cost me a small fortune to keep it completely covered constantly. She is pretty lazy so once I have found a surface that suits her I am hoping i can put it in her favourite spots & this will help stop her hocks getting worse. The room itself is laminate but ive read it's their main resting places that matter most.

You can get some cheap vetbed on Ebay. I think P@H do it but it's quite expensive there. The proper stuff is more expensive because, I believe, it can be washed on a high temperature.

NP, I probably could've got away with the smaller one in hindsight but I went for the bigger one to be on the safe side. :)

You can get some cheap vetbed on Ebay. I think P@H do it but it's quite expensive there. The proper stuff is more expensive because, I believe, it can be washed on a high temperature.

Thanks for the info tha's great, will have a look on e-bay.

I've just ordered a wash bag from Ebay - the small one will do me for my bunny towels - I put them outside on top of bunny houses for buns to sit on when its damp out. All good tips and ideas should all go on one thread or a book made available as i've picked up lots of great ideas on here :wave::wave:

yeah it is a hassle - my washing machine is usually full of hay and grass as well as fluff - so hoping my new bag will be a great help x

yeah it is a hassle - my washing machine is usually full of hay and grass as well as fluff - so hoping my new bag will be a great help x

dealing with mr washing machine blocking is not fun.... me + my oh + water logged kitchen = once stressed laura and two amused bunnies who are the cause of the blockage lol

Sometimes I find I have to give things a slight shake afterwards as well as obviously there is sometimes still bit of hay or fluff floating around inside the bag but it does tend to just shake right off. Fur sometimes sticks so if you have moulting bunnies they might still need a quick hoover to get the worse off. Sometimes I use this fur rubber block (no idea of the name of that) which lifts it off nicely. Depends on whether I can be bothered to get the hoover :oops:

If you don't wan to buy a bag for washing them in a old pillow case works
As for foam mats I bought some black heavy duty ones pack of 6 from jtf for £12 and they were more than enough for my 6x4 shed :thumb: I'd also recommend the washable faux sheepskin fleeced pet bed from B&M bargains. It's similar to vet bed infact Oscar prefers it and only £3.99 for 100x100cm :thumb:
I also use a washable lint roller that's really good for before washes got that from jtf as well I believes

I did try a pillowcase and it did work but anything larger and thicker than a towel escaped!

If you don't wan to buy a bag for washing them in a old pillow case works
As for foam mats I bought some black heavy duty ones pack of 6 from jtf for £12 and they were more than enough for my 6x4 shed :thumb: I'd also recommend the washable faux sheepskin fleeced pet bed from B&M bargains. It's similar to vet bed infact Oscar prefers it and only £3.99 for 100x100cm :thumb:
I also use a washable lint roller that's really good for before washes got that from jtf as well I believes

That blanket looks fantastic but unfortunately I have no B&M store near me which is a real shame. Ive had a look at vetbed on ensy but all the ones I can find dont say what temperature they can be washed at or are wash at 40 degrees which im thinking may not be too hygenic when Poppy wees on it.

May have to look at pets at home altho i'm reluctant to spend whatever they are charging when I know similar or better things are out there for cheaper.

Back