• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffle buns and bonding?

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
So... it looks like Bramble is a snuffle bun :( Antibiotics are helping but he's having sneezing fits every so often.

Question I need to ask is, should Bramble be bonded with another snuffle bun or is he ok being bonded with my other 7?

Bonding won't happen until May time as that's when the aviary will be built... Accomodation will be 10x5ft brick shed with a 10x5/6ft aviary. Access to aviary will be available 24/7 due to the way OH and his dad are building it and the extras they are putting on (felted roof, wooden panels for night time etc.)

Our other 7 have no health problems (fingers crossed they don't develop any...) and are all smaller buns too (harlequin, dutch, long haired cross-breed, lionhead and harlequin/dutch crosses) and Bramble is our French Lop. I know size isn't an issue but it's just to give you an idea of space...

Bramble can be kept indoors if that's better for a snuffle bun but I doubt we could have a wiffeybun for him indoors.

If it's not a good idea to bond him with 7 healthy buns, there is an option of getting a 6x4 shed and attaching a 6x4 aviary and getting him a wiffeybun who had snuffles if that's the better option?

Any advice would be great, thank you :D

Most buns have the bacteria for snuffles already, but it isnt 'triggered' but kept in check by their immune system. So you probably could bond him with the others without problems. If they didnt have the bacteria already, you may have already spread it to the others via yourself and your clothes etc, or it could have been spread if they are in the same airspace.

But there is the risk that they dont already have it and by bonding them you could give it to them.

I only had Barney when he became a snuffles bun, and what I did was err on the side of caution by adopting a rabbit that had likely already been exposed to snuffles through living next to a rabbit that had it, although wasnt a snuffles bun herself, Annabelle.

Last edited:
What nessar said. If you've been between the rabbits and not washed your hands etc they may already be exposed. Or they could have given it to him. So it's entirely up to you. I have found that Grim does so much better outside with his snuffles. Especially in the winter when it's cold. This winter i have been able to stop nebulising him and he's hardly sneezing at all.

The other thing to remember is that bonding can be stressful and may exacerbate the snuffles so it's best to do it when he's feeling strong. :)

Back