• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit visit at Winchester nursery

Hi rabbit lovers!
I work at a nursery in Winchester and in a few months were having an animal week and I thought it would be a lovely idea to have a rabbit visit us to teach the children about them and the responsibilities that come with pets.
I was just wondering if you guys thought this would be a good idea?
and if so, if you had any idea at all where I could find a lovely natured rabbit or two willing to visit us as I am struggling!

Thanks,
Louise :)

Hi Louise,

What a great idea to work to educate the children about animals :)

The very nature of rabbits means that the average rabbit wouldn't cope with that and it wouldn't be healthy for them or in their best interests to be put into that situation. That said, some very unique rabbits would cope very nicely and even enjoy a situation like that (I know my Summer would have). It will be hard to find such special rabbits like that though and you may struggle. I would think the best way to go about it might be to find very knowledgable owners (such as on here) who know their rabbits well and know what their bunnies do and don't tolerate so would know whether or not it would be harmful for their bunnies to be put in that experience and situation.

Shame you're not closer though. I once took a pair into a class 1 class and into reception and the bunnies had a marvellous time. I currently have a trio that, their health depending, would totally thrive in that situation and not be phased by the travel, the people, the fuss, the handling, etc, and are so nice natured they wouldn't exhibit any undesriable behaviours either.

All that said, it might be easier to find other animals who would cope better in that situation. What animals do you already have lined up?

I'm sure I saw a thread about someone wanting to take a rabbit into a nursery. Can't remember when. But children can be very noisy and not always listen, (at one of my nursery placements they had a hamster there for the day and they were quiet and listened for about half an hour but then didn't care and I had to take it into the staffroom) but thats the kids in schools and nurseries round me so.. :lol:

Rabbits are nervous animals and children just want to touch and things, but rabbits may not the best animals for that. They can start kicking and really do some damage. I've still got scars from 6 months ago. 2 of my rabbits would be great but the other 2 would be awful :(

Maybe you could get lots of information and loads of rabbit teddies :) or a rabbit/ or 2 that could go but not for the whole day.

Last edited:
Hi rabbit lovers!
I work at a nursery in Winchester and in a few months were having an animal week and I thought it would be a lovely idea to have a rabbit visit us to teach the children about them and the responsibilities that come with pets.
and if so, if you had any idea at all where I could find a lovely natured rabbit or two willing to visit us as I am struggling!

Thanks,

Hi there,

I live quite locally to Winchester myself. When is this animal week? My bunny Sweep is very docile and friendly however I would want to know a bit more info about the visit and what you want out of it etc before I decide whether he would be ok coming along. I wouldn't want him to be held by any of the kids and not really keen on the idea of crowds of noisy kids coming to stroke him all at once. What age are the children? My gut tells me nursery age is a little too young to introduce the idea of a rabbit - my fear would be the children not listening to what I had to say about the bunny ownership and just going home to their parents and saying they want a cute bunny for their birthday/easter - something I do not want to encourage. Perhaps I would be happier if factsheets were sent home with the kids to give to their parents so if that question did arise from the visit the parents could make a well informed decision to whether a rabbit was a good idea for them (not an easy, cheap pet to be left in a hutch and adults totally responsible!)

When I was at school we had school rabbits and guinea pigs - and they were kept together and locked up in a small hutch overnight, a terrible message to give to all of us when we were kids!

I do think it is a good idea to do things like this and I can talk about bunny care all day long - however I have to assess the safety and practicailities for Sweep before I agree to anything.

Catherine

Hi rabbit lovers!

Thanks,

I would have loved to have helped...but my warren of 8 have relocated to london/harrow...they would have been ideal, as they are unafraid of people and are used to be handled, including by small children

I wonder if any rescues would consider supporting this ? I know there are a few around southampton/west end/fair oak

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2586/adopt-a-rabbit.html

The Rabbit Welfare Association may be able to help as they have outreach officers in some areas www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk they also have leaflets. Whichever animals you get, it's an idea to send info home with the children as they first thing they'll do is ask for a pet and the parents won't have received the same responsible ownership education.

If you aren't set on rabbits, you could try Pets as Therepy - I think they also do school visits, or guide dogs for the blind etc. as some of those groups will take dogs/puppies in to meet children and talk about their work.

RSPCA, PDSA, Woodgreen - that sort of bigger homing groups might have people to do talks, you might even get an RSPCA inspector in who could talk about the work they do helping animals.

That's a lovely idea, I hope you can make it happen. My buns were taken in to a primary school to meet the children when they were babies.

I know our local national animal welfare trust do visits with bunnies if they have one or two who are laid back.

Also, as Tamsin said i know the dogs trust do school or scout troop visits or perhaps you have a retired greyhound rehoming group near you, they too are only too keen o promote what great pets they make - we have a local group who have a greyhound "obedience" display team who visit fetes and fares - it's hilarious apparantly as greys aren't know for their obedience!

Last edited:
Back