• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Christmas Bunny Film

clarebear

Mama Doe
Watched this film last night, and it was lovely to see all those bunnies!

However I noticed that they picked them up by the scruff of their necks......surely that's not the best way is it? :(

Yes, picking up a rabbit by its scruff is actually the best way to do it as this is how their mum would carry them.

Whenever I pick up mine this way they don't struggle so much. The vet also picked them up like this. However, you have to be very careful if you have long nails (like me) else you'll hurt them. Wear gloves if you have long nails or do it so that you're not digging your fingertips into the skin, but sort of the side of your fingers. It takes practice!

Ahhh thank you! I was quite worried about it!

Would this stop them being freaked out about being picked up?

Furry-Holic it's a beautiful film but I'd have a tissue or 2 ready!

Clarebear, quite possibly yes. I personally think that as it's how their mum would carry them they automatically feel safer so don't struggle. I'm not overly confident at picking them up in this way (rarely have to pick them up to be honest) but I'm sure that the vet could show you the next time you have to visit him/her. They're there to help.

I really want to watch that film - is it good? It's only £2.99 on Amazon, think I might buy it :D xx

That's where I got mine from......it was on my Christmas list, but Santa didn't bring it.....So I brought it for myself.....even my OH loved it!

Furry-Holic it's a beautiful film but I'd have a tissue or 2 ready!

Clarebear, quite possibly yes. I personally think that as it's how their mum would carry them they automatically feel safer so don't struggle. I'm not overly confident at picking them up in this way (rarely have to pick them up to be honest) but I'm sure that the vet could show you the next time you have to visit him/her. They're there to help.

Thank you so much. I have picked Bramble up like this once, when I couldn't get him any other way :roll: I'll have to try it again.

Oh no :shock: I can't bare watching films with animals in that are sad - especially if the animals die :cry: I get so upset. Does it have a happy ending? I can deal with the sad parts as long as it ends happy :D xx

Mother rabbits actually do NOT pick up their babies.

Scruffing rabbits is not reccommended, but if they are scruffed you should support their full weight with a hand under the bum.

Naff film but worth a watch to see all the bunnies :love: I didn't like seeing them pick up the bunnies that way :(

Its a proper film, not a cartoon or anything :)

Mother rabbits actually do NOT pick up their babies.

Scruffing rabbits is not reccommended, but if they are scruffed you should support their full weight with a hand under the bum.

I thought that too, I used to breed and have never seen a mother attempt to pick up their babies, if a newborn goes out of the nest quite often it's left there and dies. The only time I would dream of scruffing is if the rabbit was stuck somewhere awkward and that was the only way to lift them out.

From the RWAF website - 'A study has shown that ‘scruffing’ rabbits - holding by loose skin on back of the neck to handle them - can be stressful. ' the reason they don't kick out is probably because they're scared

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-2/scruffing.html

I also know many exhibitors are against scruffing because it can loosen the skin or something around the neck

I thought that too, I used to breed and have never seen a mother attempt to pick up their babies, if a newborn goes out of the nest quite often it's left there and dies. The only time I would dream of scruffing is if the rabbit was stuck somewhere awkward and that was the only way to lift them out.

From the RWAF website - 'A study has shown that ‘scruffing’ rabbits - holding by loose skin on back of the neck to handle them - can be stressful. ' the reason they don't kick out is probably because they're scared

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-2/scruffing.html

I also know many exhibitors are against scruffing because it can loosen the skin or something around the neck

Thanks Demi :) I've read and heard the exact same, and I've also experienced breeding and found the same.

I dont agree with scruffing any adult animal unnecessarily, but I think I read that rabbits dont have a true scruff and that is why damage can occur from scruffing.

Last edited:
Back