• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The switch from water botttle to water bowl

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
hey guys

I have tried my buns with water bowls before but yuri just sat in it or they didnt drink from it much so I worried and put the bottle back...

I ordered from hay experts recently and got some bowls including a water bowl to try again

the reason I wanted to try again is yuki started to struggle with the bottle she cant seem to get enough water fast enough and is always trying to pull the metal part where the water comes out through the bars and keeps biting it....

I checked on them a few hours after putting it down and... NO PROBLEMS! They drank from it and love it! They can get as much water as they like and yuri hasnt sat in it or anything!

I feel that I should have stuck with it ages ago and never used the bottle.... >_<

they seem so much happier with it

has anyone else found this?

Erm well my two never tried to use their water bowl as a seat :shock: but they do very much like their bowl, B drinks 750ml+ a day by himself, so with a bottle he is sat there ages bless him, getting it a drop at a time. They drink more with a bowl as well, so it must be keeping them better hydrated.

Erm well my two never tried to use their water bowl as a seat :shock: but they do very much like their bowl, B drinks 750ml+ a day by himself, so with a bottle he is sat there ages bless him, getting it a drop at a time. They drink more with a bowl as well, so it must be keeping them better hydrated.

:lol: No neither has mine. He does helpfully put things in it all the time though :roll: Last week it was a wooden toy which was purple... so he made his water purple too :roll: :lol:

I definitely think he prefers a bowl to a bottle though.

Yuri is a terror lol I love her to bits but shes a such a hyper destructive bun lol but shes seems to have calmed down with bowl at least.

^_^ they do seem so much happier yuki drinks for ages and looks satisfied after instead of seeming frustrated and like she stopped because she got fed up not because she was full

Mine all love their bowls. When I get new fosters I always give them the choice and so far they have all chosen the bowl!

Ginger occasionally puts her front feet in, but thats only when Daddys been naughty and neglected to fill it up to the top again (going by the fact she drinks ~1.5L/day i have to be quite mindful), apart from that, we've never had any bowl issues :)

Glad you've found a solution - they shuold be much happier :)

Smudge used to paddle in his water bowl but he soon stopped when he realised that's why his feet were getting wet :lol:

Just re filled the bowl up - need to set reminders on my phone to do it me thinks as they eat lots of hay so will be thirsty.

yuri snatched the tray of hay off me as i was putting it in earlier lol iv bought them lots of different hays and it seems she just couldnt wait lol

Smudge used to paddle in his water bowl but he soon stopped when he realised that's why his feet were getting wet :lol:

:lol: Yuri would just plonk her bottom in the bowl or knock it over... ¬_¬ shes taken to tipping the litter tray upside down at the moment ¬_¬ yuki gives this look of "hey i liked it like that" when she does it

If I use an actual bowl for mine they tip it over within minutes. I tried using a water tower thing which they couldn't tip up, but that got full of hay and poo :roll:

I now have a bottle bowl which I really like but I do worry a little about Eli as he seems to get too eager drinking from it and it results in him making these awful noises like he's drowning and gasping for air :shock:

:lol: Yuri would just plonk her bottom in the bowl or knock it over... ¬_¬ shes taken to tipping the litter tray upside down at the moment ¬_¬ yuki gives this look of "hey i liked it like that" when she does it

:lol: Little monsters. I'm sure Nutmeg would try tipping her litter tray given half a chance :lol:

If I use an actual bowl for mine they tip it over within minutes. I tried using a water tower thing which they couldn't tip up, but that got full of hay and poo :roll:

I now have a bottle bowl which I really like but I do worry a little about Eli as he seems to get too eager drinking from it and it results in him making these awful noises like he's drowning and gasping for air :shock:

whats a bottle bowl?

also the drinking noises are fine means they are drinking fast is all like when were really thirsty and gulp drink down
my monsters used to tip it up but i got a heavy bowl that they can now HA!

:lol: Little monsters. I'm sure Nutmeg would try tipping her litter tray given half a chance :lol:

:p whats more is she makes sure im watching when she does it! thumps, grunts looks at me then does it ¬_¬

whats a bottle bowl?
This thing: It keeps it clean and easy to carry around like a bottle but has a little dish instead of a spout.
52042_kerbl_kaninchentraenk_1.jpg

also the drinking noises are fine means they are drinking fast is all like when were really thirsty and gulp drink down
That's a relief! Sometimes he's still doing it just after he's stopped drinking and puts his head really low to the ground - does that still sound normal?

This thing: It keeps it clean and easy to carry around like a bottle but has a little dish instead of a spout.
52042_kerbl_kaninchentraenk_1.jpg

That's a relief! Sometimes he's still doing it just after he's stopped drinking and puts his head really low to the ground - does that still sound normal?

yuki carries on making her drink noise after sometimes, the head to the ground thing i dont know but I dont think its something to worry about might be him resting after a drink might be something he does as part of a routine or something buns can be strange like that

never seen anything like that lol but what ever works for your buns i guess :p

maybe in the future you can try again with the bowl see if the behaviour changes

Mine had a water bottle for the first week and were drinking 600ml in a day...I decided to try them with a bowl and they now drink 1200ml between them and I have to refil before bed! :thumb: TBH it never occured to me to use a bowl untill I read about it on here :oops:

Mine had a water bottle for the first week and were drinking 600ml in a day...I decided to try them with a bowl and they now drink 1200ml between them and I have to refil before bed! :thumb: TBH it never occured to me to use a bowl untill I read about it on here :oops:

dont worry the good people of ru have educated me so much including the water bowl

Back