• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How will people look back on our rabbit care in 100 years?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Do you think they will say

'oh, back in 2012, people were so cruel to their rabbits - they only recommended a 6 x 2 x 2 ft hutch with a run attached - oh the poor bunnies!!'

Just because, when we look back in the past, we have improved most situations. But surely the people at the time thought they were doing right.

So, we think we're doing right - but in future will people be shocked with us?

Not just with rabbits even - in our lives generally!

i hope they will know much more on gi statis and how to prevent it :cry:, there deits might be better then we think they are now, i know back when grandad had a farm all he fed them where carrots and porridge oats , its all he was talking about last summer, when i told him not to give my bunnies anumore carrots, he said it won;t do them harm, but i tried explaining the sugar content and so only get alittle a day, he kept going on when i lost lox saying bunnies need to be in the garden and allowed to drink from the water source the birds drank from and mouse (possibly rats) as i said they want a clean bowl of there own, he said they need to be made immune , i said they are domesticated would he drink from where a rat could of been, so he shut up, and also when i saiad how long did your rabbis live for back in those years, less then 2years, and he didn;t answer, he means well but think he realised when i stuck to my guns, and said look at what age rosie got to

Yes I know what you mean mini lop - I think stereotypically, people think these things re diet. I guess back in the day people didn't buy food to feed to what was going to be their dinner! So just fed scraps etc from the kitchen.

Well, I can look back. Perhaps my parents were particularly enlightened, as were the parents of other children round us. Our Dads made the hutches & runs. 5'hutch & 12' -15' run per rabbit was normal.:shock:
There was much which was good, & some bad, (mainly that vets couldn't neuter rabbits so they were all singletons where I grew up).

And perhaps, (hopefully not) you'll be like I was 6 years ago - back against the wall, fighting for a bunny's life, with no solutions. Perhaps you'll remember "We used to do "x" in 2012 - & didn't have this sort of problem with our buns then". You'll try the by now "old fashioned ways", & find they help not only your own bun but also quite a lot of others. :)

ETA Re. feeding. Dad scythed the grass. My job was tossing the hay. Peter had loads of home made hay, & a bowl of home grown veg peelings + foraged plants daily. (He lived to be 13 - quite a big boy -a chinchilla)

Last edited:
Back