• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Vets Bill of the Year . . U/D 2nd vets bill already Post 17

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
£130 for Comfrey's dental . . . yet another tooth fell out, the remaining two molars were trimmed, and he's on abc for the infections.

All because his original owners gave him rubbish food as a young bun. SIGH. (and then tried to have him PTS)

Still he is back to his bright and lively self this morning!!!

Wonder what the total vets bills for this year will be . . . . . With 33 myxis x2, and 33 vhds, in the next 12 months plus one neuter and one spay already in the queue, suspect it won't be cheap. .

Often joke that I could give up work if we did not have the buns . . . but would rather have them and work!!

Last edited:
I've just spent £60 and have to pay another £180 and £160 on neuters and dentals then £300 on myxi vaccs, and any other issues that arise.
Last years bill was £2,000, only just paid it off.

Hope Comfrey is feeling alright x

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how the new combined myxo/VHD jab beds in. Apparently it has been approved and released in the EU but hardly anyone has it yet...I wonder if it'll work out cheaper. At least it'll be easier!

I've just spent £60 and have to pay another £180 and £160 on neuters and dentals then £300 on myxi vaccs, and any other issues that arise.
Last years bill was £2,000, only just paid it off.

Our vets aren't cheap (just very very good) so the jabs alone will be mmmmm . . looks for calculator . . . £1716 for the 66 maxi jabs (33x2 x £26) and c£900 for the VHDs.

Think when I am next at the vets i will ask how much I spent last year . . just for 'fun':shock::shock::shock:

I would take the buns elsewhere for their jabs but these really are the only vets I would trust with my buns . .

It'll be interesting to see how the new combined myxo/VHD jab beds in. Apparently it has been approved and released in the EU but hardly anyone has it yet...I wonder if it'll work out cheaper. At least it'll be easier!

Our vets asked me if I knew about it the other day (I did) . They want to wait until its been in use a year before they will stock it .. despite trials etc.

It will make things a lot easier - but am wondering how it will work if a bun needs myxi jab but is not yet due its VHD??

Our vets aren't cheap (just very very good) so the jabs alone will be mmmmm . . looks for calculator . . . £1716 for the 66 maxi jabs (33x2 x £26) and c£900 for the VHDs.

Think when I am next at the vets i will ask how much I spent last year . . just for 'fun':shock::shock::shock:

I would take the buns elsewhere for their jabs but these really are the only vets I would trust with my buns . .

:shock:

I'm sure you're absolutely fine and have a well thoughtout plan for them, but if you need any help taking them then just let me know!

Shhhh! Don't predict the vets bills! They'll start scheming! :shock:

They don't even LIKE going to the vets . . well actually I have a feeling Parsley might like the social outings :roll::roll:

Maybe I should just open a bank account for them all and tell them they can spend it how they want - and they can decide whether to spend it on noms or be ill and spend it on vets fees . . .

Our vets asked me if I knew about it the other day (I did) . They want to wait until its been in use a year before they will stock it .. despite trials etc.

It will make things a lot easier - but am wondering how it will work if a bun needs myxi jab but is not yet due its VHD??

I guess *most* people do the myxi and VHD 2 weeks apart so maybe they're going to continue with the single myxo if it's at the 6-monthly time myxo booster and then swap to the new one the following time? I guess it's never going to be perfectly in sync but presumably there's no risk to the bun if the booster for myxo or VHD takes place a little earlier.

It will be an interesting year to see how quickly the new vaccine 'takes off', whether it makes any difference to the incidence of myxi in vaccinated buns and whether there are any side-effects. Fingers crossed to a positive on all fronts...

My first bill is going to be Beatrix's funeral bill, probably next week. :(

I guess *most* people do the myxi and VHD 2 weeks apart so maybe they're going to continue with the single myxo if it's at the 6-monthly time myxo booster and then swap to the new one the following time? I guess it's never going to be perfectly in sync but presumably there's no risk to the bun if the booster for myxo or VHD takes place a little earlier.

It will be an interesting year to see how quickly the new vaccine 'takes off', whether it makes any difference to the incidence of myxi in vaccinated buns and whether there are any side-effects. Fingers crossed to a positive on all fronts...

As the new one appears to be using live myxomatosis, it sounds like it could be more effective. But there seem to have been new strains of both diseases emerging and affecting vaccinated rabbits too; I wonder if the new jab is more up to date for these.

This is something I picked up on in the datasheet for the new vaccine:
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.
http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/veterinary/002004/WC500112958.pdf

Haven't seen it discussed ANYWHERE yet, but based on my understanding of that paragraph, it sounds like it would be best if buns who have been on the old separate vaccines stick with them for the rest of their lives, and first timers start off on the combined. Hopefully some of the major rabbit savvy vets like Richard Saunders etc will have an opinion this before too long and clarify things.

As Ada is an indoor rabbit in an urban area, I'm planning to start her off with the combined one in the spring.

Haven't seen it discussed ANYWHERE yet, but based on my understanding of that paragraph, it sounds like it would be best if buns who have been on the old separate vaccines stick with them for the rest of their lives, and first timers start off on the combined. Hopefully some of the major rabbit savvy vets like Richard Saunders etc will have an opinion this before too long and clarify things.

How fascinating...and how odd. Looking further down, it suggests that the vaccine is made from the myxoma virus which has been 'impregnated' with a relevant gene from VHD - so perhaps if they have some residual 'memory' of myxi immunity, it doesn't pick up on the VHD side or something?

Like you say - it would be really interesting to see what someone like Richard S makes of that, and what impact it has for advice to vets on whether to use the new vaccine. It sounds as if it may well be something that will take several years to fully implement.

Interestingly - and positively - it also says that the VHD portion is manufactured in vitro rather than harvested from bunnies as is sadly the case with the current vaccine.

(sorry for the thread tangent, Parsnipbun)

Last edited:
How fascinating...and how odd. Looking further down, it suggests that the vaccine is made from the myxoma virus which has been 'impregnated' with a relevant gene from VHD - so perhaps if they have some residual 'memory' of myxi immunity, it doesn't pick up on the VHD side or something?

Like you say - it would be really interesting to see what someone like Richard S makes of that, and what impact it has for advice to vets on whether to use the new vaccine. It sounds as if it may well be something that will take several years to fully implement.

Interestingly - and positively - it also says that the VHD portion is manufactured in vitro rather than harvested from bunnies as is sadly the case with the current vaccine.

If it's made from the myxoma virus then is it likely to stop rabbits from getting myxi....rather than just getting a lesser version? That'd be incredible!!

Thats really interesting - will ask vets about this . .

Hurrah, about time! If this is the case, I REALLY hope this new vaccine works!!

and today Nutmeg got gas and stasis . . our buns very very rarely get stasis (don't think Nutmeg ever has before) . . . but he got it really badly overnight and was cold and dehydrated this morning - its most probably because one of the others in the group has been picking on him for a few days (you know who you are Peapod . :roll::roll:)

So he spent the day at my vet being pumped full of liquids and heat and syringe feed . . still didn't really perk up until I finally managed to locate a few precious newly grown wild geranium leave in the garden . . . which he has now wolfed down.

So thats the next £90 spent . . . (the vets bill - not the geranium leaves - though they are as rare as hens teeth at this time of year)

While I was out there finding the baby geranium leaf and rose leaf 'salad' at 10.30 at night . . I had a good peer and listen in at all the runs - you hear more at night and can see what they get up to/who sleeps with who etc etc . . only to hear that Thistle is bubbling away like a coffee percolator again . . she has respiratory issues that come back every couple of months or so . . she has been really good but I did think I heard her sneeze today - which is why I gave a special listen . .

so thistle is vets Bill no. 3 of the year on its way

**sigh** I had a text from my vet today, while i was in a hospital bed in a&e, saying he hoped I was ok and Thanking me for his Christmas pressie.:love::love::love::love::love:

thats really nice! Mine e-mailed me to thank me for my xmas pressy! (not sure why - I see them nearly every day . . . ) PS sorry to hear you were in A&E

Back