• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help my messy rabbit is now running with her back legs swinging out side ways.

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
Some of you may have seen my post a couple of days back about one of my does being very messy, well every day she has got worse and worse and im talking not only pooping a lot but peeing a lot to. Her poos are healthy, no runny ones just normal round ones. She seems to be laying in her toilet all the time and im having to change her most days twice a day. I have given her lots of hay and only small amount of nuggets to help with her diet. I was told it could be to do with stress, since my other doe has given birth I have separated them and my messy doe may be messing because she is lonely and misses her friend.... But this morning when I went down to feed her I let her out her run to free run around the room and I noticed that she was running with her behind going side ways. When I touch one of her behind legs she runs away and groans. She is eating but not as much as normal. She is drinking as well. She looks healthy apart from just sitting there and not doing much and cleaning herself. Im worried about the back legs swinging out when she runs. She is none stop weeing either.

Please if some one knows of these symptoms please help me :(

You need to take her to a vet ASAP. It sounds like the reason she is messy is due to a physical cause becoming more prevalent.

She needs to see a vet today.

You need to take her to a vet ASAP. It sounds like the reason she is messy is due to a physical cause becoming more prevalent.

She needs to see a vet today.

what do you mean about 'physical cause becoming more prevalent?' :(

Like a physical problem that was showing signs before, but it's now becoming more of a problem and more of an issue and is showing in a clearer way.

Will you get her to a vet today?

Shes getting worse.There must be a cause.A vet can help with this.
I hope shes ok.xx

The problem is getting worse, basically. She's starting to show other symptoms - the odd way she is running and also peeing more.
Also find out if it is something infectious as it could affect your other bunnies.

yes I will get her to a vet asap :( its really worried me now. I feel so bad because I thought she was just being messy because she was just a messy rabbit :(

I'm afraid its not very good news, her messy problem has caused her to get cystitis and she could have stones due to hardness down in her abdomen. The vet gave her two injections and ive got to give her these two orally once a day, if she doesn't get any better the vet said the best option would to put her to sleep as it is causing her discomfort :(

What vets do you use? Have you considered the diagnostics like x-rays and blood tests and suchlike?

I went to my usual vet where I get my bunnies vac's. To be honest I don't think my rabbit will be put to sleep I just need to get the infection out of her and she should be fine. To be honest the vet said give it a week and see how she is, and if its not doing any thing then they will see what else can be done but the best option if she is in pain is to put her to sleep. Last night after we got back and she had the two injections she was eating and drinking fine and she was hoping round more normal then she was early that day. She seemed more perky. Today she hasn't got any worse, still not great though. But her weeing does seem a bit less. I'm hoping she picks up :'(

No I didn't but I will keep that one in mind, thank you. Its really put a downer on me, I haven't got much money at the moment and the vets sure like to charge, cost me £50 just for the check-up and antibiotics. I hope she gets better soon coz I love her and my money is a real big problem at the moment due to be just after Christmas and hardly any work! :(

your money will be spent to more effect with a vet that comes highly recommended as a rabbit savvy vet. Your present one seems to have rather skipped on diagnostics:? and cystitis would not have made her legs go funny. Have you given the 28 days Panacur? Did they say where a bouts the possible kidney/bladder stones were? Did she get any metacam?

Did you go to Trinity? If not I highly rcommend them and they are in Maidstone.

Thank you for that. I was thinking of you and the vet recommendation you normally give, but couldn't remember what it was.

If money is tight then maybe you need to surrender her to someone who can get all her needs met. If her problem is compliex and complicated, maybe a sanctuary might be worth considering. That does sound rather steep though, to have an appointment and antibiotics for £50, although I guess it depends on the meds and suchlike.

The vet said that the cystitis had made her legs sore, where she had been laying in her own wee so more like burns. But I do have some good news after much love and tender care and giving her the meds that the vet gave me, Sindy seems to be on the road to recovery. She is bouncing around normal, eating and drinking normal. Her toilet seems to be going more and more in one place, and she is not laying in it any more because she isn't wet when I tend to her. Still not 100% but it looks positive :)

Back