• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weight loss in bunny after bonding

Some of you may remember me. I posted a few months ago about taking in another rabbit that wasn't being looked after properly and the choice was I took her in or she was PTS. I took her in and had both female bunnys neutered (ouch) and bonded them which went really well and are very happy together, lots of growing, binkies and no aggression :D

My problem is Lilly (bun 1) has lost a lot of weight. She was in a two layer hutch set up by herself with bed and food/water on the top floor and litter tray and forage box on the bottom. During the day she has the run of the balcony with toys, knaw blocks ect she would only ever poo/wee in her tray which obviously made cleaning her out very easy.

Twiggy on the other hand poos absolutely everywhere. In the bed, in the food bowl, in the forage box, all over the hutch and all over the large balcony. Apart from meaning I now need to do a full cage clean out every couple of days, once she has pop'd and we'd on the food, hay and straw Lilly will not eat it so is losing weight. I have taken Lilly to vet who gave her a clean bill of health but underweight.

How can I protect some food for her? I don't have the room/money for separate enclosures.

What about dangling hay racks or hay racks on the side of cages.

I've heard some horror stories but my pair coped fine with them

Could you try putting some hay in a rack. I've never really found mine have eaten from a rack but then mine aren't too fussy about where they get their hay from :lol: Or perhaps you could refresh it more often? Put less in but more times a day?

No matter how thorough I try to be in my op I always seem to miss something out lol. I already tried a Trixie hayrack which worked for a few days then bun 2 started to use it as a toy and pull all the hay out onto the floor and poo on it :censored:

Little and often has been working whilst I'm off work but I go back next week so will feed morning and throughout the evening but will be a huge chunk of the day where Lilly won't be eating.

if the hutch is to levels you could always try blocking the bottom off from the top for a few minutes when you feed them this way bun 2 wont be able to get to it while bun1 is eating :wave:

Back