• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reasons for wet chin?

xxranxx

Alpha Buck
Max has a wet chin, hes had his teeth checked (he's not a dental bun normally anyway) but he was under GA getting castrated so had a good tooth check, i notified the vet of his damp chin pre op and she said he could just be a dribbly bunny :lol: is that possible or should i be looking for something else? hes not snuffly, he had snuffles when i got him quite badly but was on anti bs injectable and oral for quite a while to get on top of them and has been fine ever since, no sneezing (touch wood) and no discharge from nose either. anyone else have a dribbly bun?

sounds like hes doing the same thing as amy is it to do with the water bowl by any chance ?
amy sometimes get a wet chin when having a drink she usually cleans her dewlap afterwards tho but i might change to a bottle still not sure
just a thought :)

Is it actually wet or is it the scent gland that is gunky ?

it varies really one day its damp but they do have a water bowl so i put it down to that sometimes, but today its more like crisp if you know what i mean like its been wet and dried funny, his chin where the patch of wet is is green today but id given them readgrass and forage before i looked at chin. if its his scent gland what do i need to do to find out and does it need cleaning?

I had this with Barney. We gave him pain killers for a week as a diagnostic tool and it cleared up, so we knew it was pain. He had teeny tiny spurs that could only be seen under GA, so thought it was dental pain at first, then he was back doing it again, checked his teeth under GA and fine... and he continued to do it after. He didnt do it with a bottle so wasnt dribbling as such, he was drinking with his face on one side, had bloods done but couldnt find the cause. Took his bowl away for a few months, and it stopped, just given them it back and he got a wet chin the first day but is fine now :?

I'm sorry this probably doesnt help much as we didnt find out what caused it, but that is my experience of a similar situation. Have you tried painkillers to see if its pain related? And have you tried him with a bottle so you can determine whether it is actual dribbling or putting his face in the bowl?

I had this with Barney. We gave him pain killers for a week as a diagnostic tool and it cleared up, so we knew it was pain. He had teeny tiny spurs that could only be seen under GA, so thought it was dental pain at first, then he was back doing it again, checked his teeth under GA and fine... and he continued to do it after. He didnt do it with a bottle so wasnt dribbling as such, he was drinking with his face on one side, had bloods done but couldnt find the cause. Took his bowl away for a few months, and it stopped, just given them it back and he got a wet chin the first day but is fine now :?

I'm sorry this probably doesnt help much as we didnt find out what caused it, but that is my experience of a similar situation. Have you tried painkillers to see if its pain related? And have you tried him with a bottle so you can determine whether it is actual dribbling or putting his face in the bowl?

thank you for your post :) Yeh he's had his teeth checked under ga too. he is a hay monster too so didn't even need them doing when they checked. iv only given the bowl back today but his chin has always looked like its been wet and dried crisp but its soft to touch not actually crispy. he was on pain killer a while back when he was de plummed and still had crisp looking chin. i even took him back to vet about it but they're not worried with him been happy, eating, drinking, hyper etc. but i still think its strange my girls don't get it at all.

I had a bunny with this from a water bowl - because the fur kept getting wet and didn't get a chance to dry, she developed a bit of a fungal skin infection.

Back